Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

State of the Union Address

Posted by: Jason Tate (12/12/11)
We're getting closer to the launch of the next version of AP.net. Currently being dubbed APv3 even though it's got to be the 15th or so version over the entire history of the website. However, it's the third iteration since I moved to our current platform, and I really lost count ages ago. As we move forward toward this giant change -- I want to make sure to include you, the readers, in on the entire process. I know change is hard. However, those beta testing the new website have been some of our oldest members - and they have had some very positive things to say about it. So, I am encouraged that everyone will like the new layout, new features, and give it a little time once it finally hits your eyeballs. It's the first time the website feels 'whole' to me. Feels like a cohesive entity. It's been a labor of love for over two years now, and it's the best thing our little team has ever done.

It's not quite ready yet though. Soon. Just a little more work to make sure it's perfect. And, while we're finishing all of that up - I wanted to open up a thread for people to leave some comments on things they don't like about the current website, would like to see in the future, and things like that. Trying to make sure we're all on the same page. Trying to keep the dialog flowing between the staff, the users, and my crazy ideas. I'll be checking into the thread throughout the next few days to read comments/complaints/suggestions and address any questions or concerns about this "next step" in the AP.net evolution.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 56
12:22 PM on 12/12/11
asthenia*
Never to see any other way...
User Info.
with all the positive comments this things sounding pretty monumental. i'm looking forward to APv3.

are you changing the logo or is staying the same? i'm not complaining just curious
12:22 PM on 12/12/11
georgedcc
User Info.
I know it's old news, but the search function is really poor, a lot of the time it just flat out doesn't work.

Apart from that though, nothing about this website really bothers me, I'm looking forward to seeing how you approve it in the new AP.
12:26 PM on 12/12/11
Wolf I Am!
AWW spelled Wolf Am I!
User Info.
I'm guessing this will be included, but allow for people to click through comment pages while a video is still playing. Right now the video stops when you go to the next page...
12:27 PM on 12/12/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
You're going to blown away by the new site. It's everything you want and more. So excited to see it launch.
12:30 PM on 12/12/11
Chuck!
Lost Forever // Lost Together
User Info.
The logo and "music mends broken hearts" has always reminded me of a heartbroken 14yo's xanga page.

Petty whining aside, I can't wait to see this new version. I spend a ton of time here and that series of quotes linked above is exciting.
12:32 PM on 12/12/11
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
I don't really have any complaints for the actual ins and outs of the site, besides the search function. I'm stoked to see the new version. Any idea on when we can expect it?
12:44 PM on 12/12/11
DandonTRJ
~~~ヾ(^∇^
User Info.
I'm guessing this will be included, but allow for people to click through comment pages while a video is still playing. Right now the video stops when you go to the next page...
Would be pretty cool if you could "drag and drop" posts from a thread into a personal sidebar to either keep media running or as a clipboard of posts you intend to reply to. Might be a coding nightmare, though.
12:53 PM on 12/12/11
Jake Denning
User Info.
People are going to dig the new site, i'm into it -- and to be honest, i'm a fan of the way it is right now. Jason really took the time to get in every nook and cranny to make this the best AP.net he possibly could.
12:56 PM on 12/12/11
ilovesofie
was I good to you, wife of my youth
User Info.
I honestly don't know. I love this website. Maybe some more updates concerning the music player.
12:58 PM on 12/12/11
knash9
Registered Member
User Info.
Just posting to say how pumped I am for the new site. Screw the criticism about the logo. The music player and the search function are the only criticisms that I can think of, and I know they have been addressed.
01:03 PM on 12/12/11
TheZeroKid
I'm Not Holden Caulfield
User Info.
Fix the search function, that's my only suggestion.
01:04 PM on 12/12/11
ellie117
EAGLES, Phillies, Flyers, tacos.
User Info.
I get pretty frustrated at the search function in threads. It doesn't work a lot, and doesn't include any results if the keyword is attached as a link. So yeah, some tweaks with the thread search function would be nice.

This isn't so much about the APv3 so much, but is there a smart phone app in the works? That would be stellar. The mobile version of the site is fine, but an app would be a lot easier to maneuver around and play with.

Other than that, I am excited for the new site. I've been hanging around here for ages and have become very accustomed to this design. I am looking forward to having to adapt to something new!
01:10 PM on 12/12/11
wall e
@mattobrien37
User Info.
The new site looks very polished and great, get excited folks.
01:22 PM on 12/12/11
get up kidd
I refuse to sink
User Info.
As a web designer myself, I am fully stoked for this and have been following the progress now for the last few months. Really excited.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests