AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Entertainment News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Entertainment
Inside AP.net

Louis CK Issues Statement About His Direct to Fan...

Posted by: Jason Tate (12/15/11)
Recently, comedian Louis CK released his new comedy special via the internet, DRM free, for five bucks. By all accounts, it was a huge success. He wrote a statement about the process, on his website, that I think is beneficial to readers. Musicians have flirted with this model for a while - and getting Louie's, never dull, take on how it worked out ... is worth the read. Also, just the other day, he did a chat with Reddit where he was asked about piracy. His answer, I also think is applicable.
From the ChatTo steal from someone and not feel bad, you either have to be a sociopath or view the act differently. One way is to remove “Someone” from the equation. You’re not stealing from a person. Big companies do a lot to help people view them as less than human. I heard a speech by Noam Chomsky who said that corporations are like super humans. They cannot be hurt like a human can and they never die. They are not susceptible to scrutiny or accountability. This makes them more profitable. If companies want to enjoy these benefits to some degree they have to live with what else comes with being not human. You miss out on compassion, forgiveness, camaraderie, empathy, trust all kinds of shit.

Submitted by overdue

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 55
11:10 AM on 12/15/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
I love that this got posted on the front page. This special is unreal, and the way he released it is awesome. Louie is one of the funniest dudes around. I hope people read what he has to say about this project, and actually check the special out.
11:14 AM on 12/15/11
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
such a cool guy
11:15 AM on 12/15/11
Chuck!
Lost Forever // Lost Together
User Info.
I plan to buy/watch this once finals are done #shinfo
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Should probably link his interview with NPR as well. Love Louie and I think this a really good and bold idea from him. Dude is funny as fuck.
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
The best working comedian, hands down. It's absolutely amazing what he does.
11:19 AM on 12/15/11
schmohawk
schmucko supremo
User Info.
dude is the best
11:24 AM on 12/15/11
runningohfive
I know...
User Info.
Hilarious is one of the best stand ups I've seen in a long time. Love Louis CK.
11:24 AM on 12/15/11
rbf737
User Info.
Ha Louie is one of the funniest comedians around so I'm glad you put this up to bring it to my attention as I just went ahead and bought it.

Good for Louie and musicians/other artists.

I'm a musician myself and realllly like this model and services like BandCamp and believe that there should be no barrier between an artist and a fan.

The model being: Pay a small price for the art/material in question and the artist receives the near 100%/lion's share. There's little to no middle men involved so you can afford to offer the material at lower prices and still make as much as you would charging higher prices but receiving lower cuts for yourself. At lower prices, more people buy your stuff, you get more fans, etc.

I really hope this becomes the norm someday soon because it assigns a more acceptable value to material which people are able to pay, and if they know that most of the money actually goes to the person creating the material they'd be more inclined to support them.
11:43 AM on 12/15/11
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
User Info.
Can't wait til I get paid tomorrow! Definitely dropping the 5 dollars for this special!
12:10 PM on 12/15/11
Chobble
User Info.
Easily worth $5. I highly recommend it. Great job as always, Louis.
12:15 PM on 12/15/11
DevinRosni
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Definitely worth buying--I like to hear that Louie is doing well.
12:17 PM on 12/15/11
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
Quote:
I have a profit around $200,000 (after taxes $75.58).
Haha!
12:24 PM on 12/15/11
SLoT
Stage three has begun.
User Info.
I will pay $5 for this.
12:24 PM on 12/15/11
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
One of the best purchases I've made this year. Supporting this guy's comedy/special is mandatory.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests