Username
Password

11:32 PM on 07/27/07 
User Info.
Steve Henderson
Retired
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 32 Years Old
Tonight’s show with Maria Taylor and Jimmy Eat World was absolutely incredible on all fronts. First and foremost, the venues for this tour are extremely small for a band of this caliber (Southgate House has ~600 capacity). This aspect made for an intimate show that really allowed the fans to connect with the musical acts, and the bands seemed to thrive off this energy as well.

Indie darling Maria Taylor began the night off with her bittersweet brand of song, and the result was more favorable than I could have guessed. Before I get into any of her music, I have to allow my shallow side to peek out. Indie romantics better wear their emo armor to this show, because you will find just how beautiful Taylor is when she sings. A great voice and endearingly shy demeanor definitely made me a little smitten. Anyways, musically, Taylor was just as appealing. Her alternate version of “Leap Year” and the disarmingly sparse “Clean Getaway” were set highlights, for sure, and Taylor even gave us a new song, which I believe was titled “Time Lapse Lifeline” (if I heard correctly). All in all, a very solid performance, and a great way to set the mood for this mellower show.

After a long set-up interval, Jimmy Eat World hit the stage to start what would end up being an almost 90 minute set. The set was riddled with highlights – favorites like “Table for Glasses,” “Rollerqueen,” “A Sunday,” and “For Me This Is Heaven” threw a pile of bones to longtime fans. Equally pleasing was the attention to detail the band showed to all their songs, especially the brooding “Disintegration” and “Cautioners” which featured guest vocals from Maria Taylor. Jim Adkins sang his ass off the entire night and really surprised me how dynamic and energetic he was, all while sounding great in the process. The band played only one brand new song entitled “Carry You” which is off Chase This Light, the upcoming album the band confirmed will be released October 16th. The band closed out their “normal” set with a wonderful rendition of “23” and then came back out for a three song encore, including a solo acoustic version of “The Middle,” “My Sundown” again with Taylor, and finally, “Hear You Me.”

I really had no idea how tonight’s show would pan out. I had never seen JEW live, and the format of tonight’s show was ambitious to say the least. Nevertheless, the concert was a triumph on all levels. Though it might sound like a bit of hyperbole, tonight’s concert was a pure manifestation of why I love music. If you have any chance whatsoever to see this tour, do what you must. Road trip, buy tickets on eBay, whatever. Just get there, and cherish this once in a lifetime opportunity.
11:41 PM on 07/27/07 
User Info.
keeplioving
sell my old clothes
New Orleans, LA
Female - 26 Years Old
man. if I was able to road trip to one of these shows, I'd do it in a heartbeat. this is pretty much the best looking JEW tour I've ever seen.
11:47 PM on 07/27/07 
User Info.
KidLightning
Esquire
Chicago, IL
Male - 32 Years Old
Sadly I didn't get to see Maria Taylor when this came to Chicago, but we got in just as JEW was starting and it was phenomenal. Sounds pretty similar to your experience too. It was my first time seeing them since they opened for Blink back in the day and I didn't really care about them then. 'Twas great though, fo' sho'.
11:47 PM on 07/27/07 
User Info.
BoXCaRPuNk13
fuckin aye meng
No Avatar Selected
the show in chicago on wednesday was amazing
11:53 PM on 07/27/07 
User Info.
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
San Francisco, CA
Male - 23 Years Old
sweet.
i'd love to see "table for glasses" live.
11:55 PM on 07/27/07 
User Info.
chrisPAIN
hates his stupid username.
Colonia, NJ
Male - 25 Years Old
why no east coast datesssssss
12:13 AM on 07/28/07 
User Info.
notoaststereo
they knew exactly what happened.
New York
Male - 25 Years Old
wow.
12:23 AM on 07/28/07 
User Info.
KidLightning
Esquire
Chicago, IL
Male - 32 Years Old
Here's the setlist from the Chicago show on Wednesday (thanks to stacymichelle) and from Steve's post, it seems like it was probably about the same tonight:

1. kill
2. your house
3. ten
4. work
5. polaris
6. disintegration
7. a sunday
8. cautioners
9. a table for glasses
10. carry you (new song)
11. roller queen
12. for me this is heaven
13. 23

encore
14. the middle (jim solo/acoustic)
15. my sundown
16. hear you me
12:23 AM on 07/28/07 
User Info.
worldturnedover
No Avatar Selected
cedarburg, wi
Male - 30 Years Old
"Indie romantics better wear their emo armor to this show"
does this really need to be said... i dont think so. just take it for what it is. she is a talented musician with a beautiful voice. dont spice it up like that. very unnecessary.

aside from that. i saw the show in milwaukee. it was very good; my fourth time seeing jimmy eat world. and it was nice to hear songs they dont normally play live.
12:24 AM on 07/28/07 
User Info.
team vheissu
wants to be on you
No Avatar Selected
Chicago, IL
Male - 27 Years Old
the show in chicago on wednesday was amazing

seconded. that was the first time i've been to park west. great acoustics/atomsphere.
jew was amazing as always live.
01:16 AM on 07/28/07 
User Info.
Snails
see the benefits.
Jo'burg, South...
Male - 25 Years Old
Sounds like an amazing show. JEW are coming to South Africa in two weeks, I really can't wait.
01:36 AM on 07/28/07 
User Info.
tmikec19
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 31 Years Old
Fourth time seeing Jimmy in Minneapolis and this was by far the best. Jim sang his heart out the entire show and rocked the acoustic guitar for most of it...23 and Table For Glasses were unbelievable. I shouted out "For Me This Is Heaven" and Jim looked in my direction and responded with, "I like that song" and then started playing it (I'd like to think he took my request but I'm pretty sure it was the next song in line on the setlist) Maria's guest vocals for Cautioners and My Sundown were brilliant...and she did look/sound beautiful on stage. Can't wait for Chase This Light (which I think will be the best record of 2007) anyone agree?
01:50 AM on 07/28/07 
User Info.
TheDynamic
Female
The show in Chicago was great. So great that I ended up blacking out for a song.

Okay,maybe there was another reason why I blacked out. But nonetheless, a great show.
02:09 AM on 07/28/07 
User Info.
drewziph
A disgrace to the concept of family
England
Male - 25 Years Old
Fourth time seeing Jimmy in Minneapolis and this was by far the best. Jim sang his heart out the entire show and rocked the acoustic guitar for most of it...23 and Table For Glasses were unbelievable. I shouted out "For Me This Is Heaven" and Jim looked in my direction and responded with, "I like that song" and then started playing it (I'd like to think he took my request but I'm pretty sure it was the next song in line on the setlist) Maria's guest vocals for Cautioners and My Sundown were brilliant...and she did look/sound beautiful on stage. Can't wait for Chase This Light (which I think will be the best record of 2007) anyone agree?

its the one i'm waiting for :)
03:57 AM on 07/28/07 
User Info.
Burnout2888
...has a gambling problem
St. Louis, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
I drove 6 hours to see this show and it was worth it. The new song was great, loved the unexpected classics and Disintegration translated so well live.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos