AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Fearless Records News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Fearless Records
Inside AP.net

Holiday Interview With Marko DeSantis (Sugarcult)

Posted by: Ryan Gardner (12/21/11)
Hit the replies to read a fun holiday in-house Fearless Records interview with Marko DeSantis of Sugarcult.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
07:54 AM on 12/21/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
InterviewAnswers by: Marko DeSantis (Sugarcult guitarist)

1. Favorite Christmas present ever?
Well, our bass player Airin has the best story: his older brother wrapped a giant empty box and presented it to him with a card that read “this box contains all that you will ever need”.

2. Worst Christmas present ever?
A flat tire wrapped in a bad hangover; the aftermath from some crazy reckless driving with my friends back in the day. We wound up walking for miles on a cold Xmas eve to get home. Ah to be young, wild and dumb!

3. Which celebrity you would like to give a holiday gift, and what you would give them?
I’d like to give all of the 2012 presidential candidates some psychedelic mushrooms and see what creative policymaking ideas they might come up with.

4. What is on your Christmas List this year?
I want to acquire less material possessions. I like gifts of experience: take me to a show, plan a trip somewhere fun, take me to dinner, get me a massage, teach me a new skill, make me a mix tape/CD/playlist.

5. Your naughtiest moment this year?
Ask my wife!

6. Your nicest moment this year?
Working on it…

7. Best show this year?
Flaming Lips at Hollywood Forever Cemetary the night of the lunar eclipse. They performed their majestic version of Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon in it’s entirety, then came back out and did an hour of their own songs. The full moon arose over the stage just as they were doing that song that says “see you on the dark side of the moon.” There were really no rules; some people stood up close, many people set up blankets and chilled with groups of friends. People brought their own food, beer, wine, weed, etc. Before their song “Do You Realize”, the singer pointed out that we were in the middle of a graveyard and asked us to look around and contemplate how fleeting life ultimately is, then asked us to appreciate our time and what a gift it is just being alive. Two members of The Ramones are buried there (Johnny & Dee Dee), so I visited them that night as well. It was beyond awesome.

8. Top 5 favorite songs of 2011? (note: I only listed songs that actually came out in 2011…)
1. The Civil Wars “Poison & Wine”
2. OFF! “Darkness”
3. The Static Jacks “Girl Parts”
4. Swingin Utters “Kick it Over”
5. Mariachi El Bronx “Revolution Girl”

Honorable mentions to great records by Foo Fighters “Wasting Light” and Adele “23”, but they already get plenty of press!

9. What holiday song you would like to cover?
It’s a tie between James Brown’s “Santa Claus Go Straight to the Ghetto” and The Ramones’ “Merry Xmas I Don’t Wanna Fight Tonight.”

Sugarcult does a cover of “Santa Claus is Coming To Town”; you can probably dig it up online somewhere. Also, our bassist Airin got together with Bert from the Used and the dudes from Street Drum Corps a few years ago and did a rad cover of John Lennon/Yoko Ono’s “Happy Xmas (War is Over)” find that too!

10. Favorite Punk Goes cover?
The best Punk Goes album WILL be the idea I’ve been trying to sell Fearless for years: Punk Goes Punk!
Get new bands to cover old school bands (Ex. The Static Jacks do The Misfits, The Maine does Descendents, etc.)
C’mon Fearless, make it happen!

11. What is your hope for 2012 for the band?
I would love to record and release some new Sugarcult songs. Everyone’s been so wrapped up in other projects, but I believe we’ve still got some fight left in us and that the best is yet to come…

Happy Holidays!

XO,
Marko
08:03 AM on 12/21/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Punk Goes Punk... backed.
08:15 AM on 12/21/11
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
New songs?
I'd like that too.
08:16 AM on 12/21/11
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
This was a solid read. Punk Goes Punk would be awful/hilarious/terrible to hear. But more importantly? I wouldn't mind some new Sugarcult tunes...

Also: "Kick it Over" by the Swingin' Utters really is a great song.
08:21 AM on 12/21/11
starsinhand
User Info.
I'd love me some new Sugarcult jams Lights Out was incredibly underrated.
08:22 AM on 12/21/11
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Punk Goes Punk... backed.
always have wanted this to happen
08:25 AM on 12/21/11
gurrentzy321
User Info.
I really hope they release some new tunes. They have been my favorite band since right after Wrap Me Up in Plastic came out. I'm kinda confused as to why Fearless keeps them on the label though. They haven't done anything in several years, yet they get rid of bands like Artist vs. Poet and Sparks the Rescue, who are still making music and are staying relevant.
08:26 AM on 12/21/11
LoginBanned
WWW.REALDEALONSPORTS.COM
User Info.
I really thought they broke up.
09:18 AM on 12/21/11
tmathews
User Info.
I'd love me some new Sugarcult jams Lights Out was incredibly underrated.
agreed, love that record, definitely need more sugarcult
09:27 AM on 12/21/11
mar_
Registered Loser
User Info.
New Sugarcult songs would be amazing.
09:29 AM on 12/21/11
AdamWASFearless
The Rational Voice of AP.net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really love Marko. Some of the the best experiences of working at Fearless was with Sugarcult, and Marko.

He really has been pushing Punk Goes Punk for years. I remember he would mention it to me every time I would see him.
09:51 AM on 12/21/11
hardpill
Get Well Incentive
User Info.
Sugarcult blows.
10:14 AM on 12/21/11
lidoscotty
Lido Beach / Scotty
User Info.
Sugarcult rules. The Static Jacks rule. You rule.
11:13 AM on 12/21/11
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
I demand new Sugarcult in my life. Peacefully demand, of course.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests