AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Stella, Wake Up! - The Shark And The Ghost EP Album Cover

Stella, Wake Up! - The Shark And The Ghost EP

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Stella, Wake Up!The Shark And The Ghost EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: Summer 2007

On those nights we stay up too late or those days spent in relative solitude, we need music. Whether it transfers inspiration, energy or a simple distraction, we need music. Notice I didn’t say “want” or “crave”, I said need. In this context, that word is both uplifting and pessimistic. When you think about music in such a strong way, the tunes you pick for any moment must do more than satisfy. A lot of times, they don’t. Stella, Wake Up!, though, keep us (me!) alive and alert.

Overly lonesome introductions aside, Stella, Wake Up! are a promising young group. A hodgepodge of genres and influences, from classic rock to progressive to post-hardcore, makes The Shark And The Ghost quite intriguing. While most early EP’s are meant to test the waters of fan attraction and seek refinement, Stella, Wake Up! seem to have everything figured out. But there is no order to be found here, no controlled chaos. The Shark And The Ghost doesn’t simply melt faces. It melts brains.

The lead-in of the title track only hints at the mayhem. Pounding drums escalate into Ian McGinty’s throaty and squeamish voice, while his high-pitched delivery is aided and abetted by the nutty guitars of Ryan Walsh. The sound never feels unfocused, sort of like the dude incorrectly encased in a straight jacket. Give him enough time and he’ll talk his way out. Or, in this case, rock his way out (that sentence was a new low for me).

“The Arsonist” might seem a bit subdued compared to tracks like metal-ish opener “Time Travel Therapy,” but its math rock vibe and melodic gang chorus are treats. Stella, Wake Up! never flee from their musical forefathers, but they feature enough creative additions (angsty vocals, tempo changes, ballz) to make their sound fresh.

As this is a review for an unsigned band, you know what I’m going to say next. My call to the industry at large is such a bad pun of this band’s name that I dare not speak it for fear that I might dissolve into a black hole of my own bad and clichéd writing. Aw heck. Wake up, people!

Look what you made me do.

Recommended If You Like: Glassjaw, Small Leaks Sink Ships, Cuckoo’s nests, Envy On The Coast, Hugo Reyes

Don't you dare faint on me!www.myspace.com/stellawakeup

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
11:23 PM on 07/30/07
jjm1600
User Info.
Stella,Wake Up! has a real good sound. if you look around their Myspace you can find that they have made available this EP for free download. Go give them a try.
12:32 AM on 07/31/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
yeah, i forgot to mention that this is available for FREE download on their myspace. give it a shot.
09:54 AM on 07/31/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
I love you. Seriously. Marry me.

I'm happy you liked these guys. I was afraid you would hate them.
10:06 AM on 07/31/07
redsand62
Clown Baby
User Info.
Great review, it made me lol quite a few times. Their singer reminds me a bit of the guy from the Stiletto Formal.
10:10 AM on 07/31/07
Adrian Villagomez
Heading Over to See 'Bout This Girl
User Info.
So I'm not good enough to edit your reviews anymore, eh?

This review sucks btw.
10:11 AM on 07/31/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I love you. Seriously. Marry me.

I'm happy you liked these guys. I was afraid you would hate them.

Please, chiiild! These guys r00l

r00l
10:18 AM on 07/31/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
So I'm not good enough to edit your reviews anymore, eh?

This review sucks btw.

i've been awake 20 minutes and you've already hurt my feelings twice
10:24 AM on 07/31/07
FrancesdaMute
...is fucking dead.
User Info.
Getting some real old school vibes, like AC/DC on speed or something. I don't really get the GJ rec, but these guys have some serious potential to not sound like some run-of-the-mill east-core act.
10:47 AM on 07/31/07
joshy hizzle
Rocky Top
User Info.
Great review. I liked the incorporation of all the humor.
11:03 AM on 07/31/07
xxno_promisesxx
I read more maps than books
User Info.
I love this band. I agreet that they have a old school feel and that is what I think sets them apart from other bands on the rise. My dad even likes this band... that is rare for him to like the same band as me
11:31 AM on 07/31/07
boykosaurus
---
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I just scoped them out, really diggin' 'em
12:07 PM on 07/31/07
elemenohpe
Two pumps and a swirl.
User Info.
Getting some real old school vibes, like AC/DC on speed or something. I don't really get the GJ rec, but these guys have some serious potential to not sound like some run-of-the-mill east-core act.

me either. that was the reason i checked them out (and because someone said the whole ep is for download on their myspace). they're pretty good but, not much of a glassjaw vibe.
12:18 PM on 07/31/07
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
I miss Stella(the tv series)
12:39 PM on 07/31/07
thelatestplague
alisha.
User Info.
marylanddddd <333

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News