Username
Password

Comments: Page 22
Displaying posts 315 - 330 of 863
12:02 PM on 12/22/11
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
If downloading didn't exist, bands like Norma Jean would have a fan base a 100tg the size, and would have broken up in 2001.
12:02 PM on 12/22/11
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
Says the dude who stole more than just the MP3 of "Under a Killing Moon."
HA
12:03 PM on 12/22/11
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
It's interesting how some bands blame file-sharing for their lack of $$, while others embrace it, or even credit it to their popularity. See: Fleet Foxes
concealed
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've been working for 10 years so I've made roughly 200k in my lifetime. Not to mention 30 cd's a year between birthday and Christmas. Also I have a lot of band camp free releases. The real value is in those clearance sales where record labels sell you like 50 albums for $100 bucks. I'm sure my cd collection would average out to more like 7 bucks per album because of all the deals I've gotten. So I have spent maybe 14k on cd's in my life which isn't too bad. Roughly 7% of my income.
14 grand not too bad on cd's? you're fuckin jokin me, right?

you've made an average of 20K a year, the last thing i'd be spending it on is compact discs
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I know this isn't funny: "Anything else I can do for free for you? Spoiled brats! It’s about time someone got pissed about this!" but all I can see is an old man shaking his cane at some children, haha.

Bahahahahaha. That's spot on.

Seriously though, when will the industry realize every illegally downloaded album isn't money lost? There's plenty of albums I've downloaded but would never have bought, regardless.

But, I've never downloaded a NJ record, so I guess I'm off the hook here!!
12:04 PM on 12/22/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
People tend to ignore the fact that if we were buying all the music in our libraries we wouldn't be listening to the majority of the stuff we listen to. Who would be willing to spend ten dollars to try a new band you know very little about?
Spotify and Rdio (and other platforms) are free. You don't have to pay anything to "try" music these days.

/Devils Advocate
12:04 PM on 12/22/11
Mr. November
I won't fuck us over.
User Info.
Quote:
I know some of you guys are angry about what I said yesterday and I just wanted to say... You're too sensitive.
Quote:
@smwhtdmgd Being offended is gay.
Quote:
Give thanks in all circumstances... 1 Thessalonians

more great tweets from him
12:06 PM on 12/22/11
TooTallGrizzly
User Info.
Congrats cory Brandon. You managed to alienate your fans. Hope there are 10 fans at your next show( you know, those things where you play your music and your fans pay money to see it an then buy got shirts).

You are an ignorant fuck
^ This is ignorant. I don't understand why SO many people have this ridiculous assumption that they're entitled to any product of art for free. He's right, it is stealing. It's no different than if I walked in your house and robbed you.

I understand that downloading can't be beaten and people need to find a way to work with it but come on, are you really going to justify it? Bands used to be able to make a living off of this and now they can barely afford to tour while still working part time afterwards.
12:06 PM on 12/22/11
Mr.Piano93
I hate my username.
User Info.
This is not a Bible discussion but that quote in no way pertains to this discussion or what I said...

Yes it does? If someone steals from you, you aren't supposed to lash out like this guy did. That's my point.
12:07 PM on 12/22/11
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
hey

does anyone remember that survey that said that people that DL music also spend the most money on it?
BAM
12:07 PM on 12/22/11
FourStarters
Summer Jam
User Info.
You're fucking high if you think they wouldn't. I don't know if you noticed but Underoath did just that today with They're Only Chasing Safety and the two bands share a ton of fans. Thats without mentioning the fact that. simply put, Christian music sells in this country. I think it may have something to do with that little something called Middle America. The band have broke the top 30 on the Billboard top 200 in a day and age when music doesn't sell. They apsolutely would have sold 500k if not for piracy and they would have done it much quicker.
It took UnderOath almost 7 years to sell 500,000 copies of TOCS. Impressive, but I'd also argue that UO are a lot more accessible than Norma Jean. Middle America isn't buying Norma Jean records; they're buying Lady Gaga records and Drake records. Christian music might sell, but Christian metalcore is a little different. In the current Top 25 Billboard records for Christian music, not a single one is a metal band.

The Anti-Mother sold 16,000 copies in its first week to open at #29 on the Billboard 200.
Redeemer sold 21,000 copies first week.
O' God sold 19,000 copies in its first week, good enough to open at #64.
Meriodonal sold a whopping 9,800 copies first week to open at #45.

Blabbermouth posted at the beginning of 2010 that Norma Jean had sold a combined 360,000 records. I've never downloaded a Norma Jean song, and the only records I -knew- they put out was Bless The Martyr and O' God. It's a combination of poor marketing, a niche genre of music, and an industry that has a thousand bands that sound exactly alike. If you put a Norma Jean song up against twenty other bands with logos like this:

I honestly doubt 10 out of a 1000 people could pick out "Yep, that one's Norma Jean, alright."
12:08 PM on 12/22/11
Timekeeper
wa da fa
User Info.
Are enough people actually listening to and downloading Norma Jean that he's crying over it?
offtheropes
User Info.
A reason is because people feel that all art should, in some form, be free so all can enjoy, interact and be exposed to it. It creates a free thinking and free market of ideas in society and it shouldn't be limited only to those with the means (money) to join in the conversation.

There are many quotes that backup this point from many famous artists and great minds, but that's the gist of it.

But, said and done, people have to eat.

I think of small art galleries. Do you have to pay to see art? Most of the time, no, unless you're going to a larger museum, but local art galleries allow you to go for free to experience art, meet the artist, get free wine/booze, buy art or prints. Do artists get upset when their work isn't bought? Sure, but they also understand that people don't have the money to support in that manner.
pennie
GOONER
User Info.
i download
12:09 PM on 12/22/11
Daveyhavok832
O.G.
User Info.
14 grand not too bad on cd's? you're fuckin jokin me, right?

you've made an average of 20K a year, the last thing i'd be spending it on is compact discs
I'm a college grad with a couple grand in savings and I pay my rent and all my bills on time, so who are you to tell me what to do with my money. A lot of those cd's were bought when I was 14-18 living at home with no bills at all. I'm in a lot better financial shape than a lot of people my age so i don't think i'll fix whats not broken.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos