Username
Password
Drama News - Page 22
Displaying posts 315 - 330 of 881.
10:58 AM on 12/22/11
betweenvega
one two three fo fiffffffffffffffff
User Info.
All I'm going to say is that Louis CK made over a million dollars by selling his hour long special for five dollars straight from his website...
He said he would have made thirty thousand if someone entertainment company sponsored and produced it.
You don't make a significant living playing music unless you're playing arena shows half the year and selling chart topping records.
Musicians in this scene have always and will always make more money on tours (especially if the label doesn't take a cut of that; Rise is a label that doesn't take any profit on tour merch/money).
10:58 AM on 12/22/11
Daveyhavok832
O.G.
User Info.
and what about "when someone slaps you on the right side of your face, turn and offer him your left"? This dude will regret this statement soon enough.
This is not a Bible discussion but that quote in no way pertains to this discussion or what I said...
10:59 AM on 12/22/11
Fool
User Info.
People tend to ignore the fact that if we were buying all the music in our libraries we wouldn't be listening to the majority of the stuff we listen to. Who would be willing to spend ten dollars to try a new band you know very little about?
Truffle Shuffle
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Well, downloads do not translate to sales. Just because people download Norma Jean's album, does not mean they would have bought it if they could not have downloaded it.

That said, they did lose money and he is right, but who knowa how much.
Coverbydesign
User Info.
Does this fuck realize that half of the people who downloaded his shitty band's music probably ended up buying tickets and merch from him later on? And they probably never would have if they didn't download the music in the first place?
Doubtful on that but hey you could ask him via twitter. He seems to be more then happy to reply to everyone who has been trying to fight him on his issue.
11:00 AM on 12/22/11
Daveyhavok832
O.G.
User Info.
All I'm going to say is that Louis CK made over a million dollars by selling his hour long special for five dollars straight from his website...
He said he would have made thirty thousand if someone entertainment company sponsored and produced it.
You don't make a significant living playing music unless you're playing arena shows half the year and selling chart topping records.
Musicians in this scene have always and will always make more money on tours (especially if the label doesn't take a cut of that; Rise is a label that doesn't take any profit on tour merch/money).
That's not accurate. he said in that statement that he would probably have had made more money if it was produced by someone else but he did it as a bit of an experiment to see how it would sell and so he could own it himself.

Not to mention you can in no way compare a famous stand up Comedian who releases a special once every 3 years who is also in the prime of his career to an Christian metalcore band on an indie label...
11:00 AM on 12/22/11
XEmoBoyShandorX
Taking new user name suggestions!
User Info.
I know this isn't funny: "Anything else I can do for free for you? Spoiled brats! It’s about time someone got pissed about this!" but all I can see is an old man shaking his cane at some children, haha.
Exactly. I just imagined that and possibly a "Bah! Humbug!" right after.
11:01 AM on 12/22/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I've been working for 10 years so I've made roughly 200k in my lifetime. Not to mention 30 cd's a year between birthday and Christmas. Also I have a lot of band camp free releases. The real value is in those clearance sales where record labels sell you like 50 albums for $100 bucks. I'm sure my cd collection would average out to more like 7 bucks per album because of all the deals I've gotten. So I have spent maybe 14k on cd's in my life which isn't too bad. Roughly 7% of my income.

Impressive. And I'm not being sarcastic.
11:02 AM on 12/22/11
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
If downloading didn't exist, bands like Norma Jean would have a fan base a 100tg the size, and would have broken up in 2001.
11:02 AM on 12/22/11
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
Says the dude who stole more than just the MP3 of "Under a Killing Moon."
HA
11:03 AM on 12/22/11
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
It's interesting how some bands blame file-sharing for their lack of $$, while others embrace it, or even credit it to their popularity. See: Fleet Foxes
concealed
User Info.
I've been working for 10 years so I've made roughly 200k in my lifetime. Not to mention 30 cd's a year between birthday and Christmas. Also I have a lot of band camp free releases. The real value is in those clearance sales where record labels sell you like 50 albums for $100 bucks. I'm sure my cd collection would average out to more like 7 bucks per album because of all the deals I've gotten. So I have spent maybe 14k on cd's in my life which isn't too bad. Roughly 7% of my income.
14 grand not too bad on cd's? you're fuckin jokin me, right?

you've made an average of 20K a year, the last thing i'd be spending it on is compact discs
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I know this isn't funny: "Anything else I can do for free for you? Spoiled brats! It’s about time someone got pissed about this!" but all I can see is an old man shaking his cane at some children, haha.

Bahahahahaha. That's spot on.

Seriously though, when will the industry realize every illegally downloaded album isn't money lost? There's plenty of albums I've downloaded but would never have bought, regardless.

But, I've never downloaded a NJ record, so I guess I'm off the hook here!!
11:04 AM on 12/22/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
People tend to ignore the fact that if we were buying all the music in our libraries we wouldn't be listening to the majority of the stuff we listen to. Who would be willing to spend ten dollars to try a new band you know very little about?
Spotify and Rdio (and other platforms) are free. You don't have to pay anything to "try" music these days.

/Devils Advocate
11:04 AM on 12/22/11
Mr. November
I won't fuck us over.
User Info.
Quote:
I know some of you guys are angry about what I said yesterday and I just wanted to say... You're too sensitive.
Quote:
@smwhtdmgd Being offended is gay.
Quote:
Give thanks in all circumstances... 1 Thessalonians

more great tweets from him
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music