AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Twenty Mule Team - Ned Tender EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.25
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Twenty Mule Team - Ned Tender EP

Reviewed by: Nathan Lint (07/31/07)
Twenty Mule Team - Ned Tender EP
Label: Unsigned
Release Date: May 2007

Twenty Mule Team. I know what you're thinking. I'm going to ignore this band because they had the kahunas to name their band Twenty Mule Team. I say more power to them. Then going along with the theme of obscure names or inside jokes that we don't understand, their debut EP is called Ned Tender. They come from a state where Panic! At The Disco is the biggest band to come out of there in years, and they're obscure! Especially around these parts! If you were to mapquest Henderson, Nevada (as i did), you will see it is a Las Vegas suburb. You don't hear about much of a scene out of there. But you now have a band you call the Las Vegas band that could, Twenty Mule Team.

Let us just start off by saying my biggest problem with Ned Tender. It's too short, there is technically seven songs, but two of them are intros. Infact, it starts off with the first intro, an elegant piano intro that leads up to the beginning of "Not For Me", which tells the story of a guy talking to a girl saying that love isn't for him, and she should be happy with someone else. They do it in a very Jimmy Eat World-like fashion (I bolded this for the haters that read their name and disregarded the band). Then we go to a backward talking, guitar distortion intro of "IHOP", then the to real song. "IHOP" begins with a simple drum routine, and really showcases the emotion this band can profess. It starts off with the words "Pick up the shards of broken glass that cut and left me scars/ Pick out the broken daggers embedded in my heart/ Turn back the hands, the clock is wrong/ I knew it all along/ Turn up the amp and scream out loud this is my song." "Crumbling Me" and "Cosmic Corazon" give you a chance to really hear the best of the whole band, especially John Cory's strong vocals. The EP finishes with "Ba Da Dah, I Bought The Duck", the longest track on the record, and pleasant finisher.

While the bands Twenty Mule Team are influenced are still widely popular, this record would've done wonders in the early part of this decade. Ned Tender is a pleasant eye opener from a band that might be little older from most of the bands releasing a debut EP and sending it for review on this site, but they're just as good as the veterans in writing a story, and making an enjoyable 25 minute experience for everyone. I need also mention every song clocks in at about 5 minutes, making sure that no one leaves without finding something they'll like. Hopefully, this band doesn't stay true to the popular Las Vegas slogan, "What Happens in Las Vegas, Stays in Las Vegas."

Recommended If You LikeJimmy Eat World, Incubus, Weezer, The Get Up Kids (no, I didn't intentionally take their first 4 influences off their myspace for this
Additional InformationTrack Listing
1. Piano Intro
2. Not For Me
3. IHOP Intro
4. IHOP
5. Crumbling Me
6. Cosmic Corazon
7. Ba Da Dah, I Bought The Duck

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
10:56 PM on 08/01/07
NagaSadow
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks again for the nice review, man. :)

By the way, if anyone was wondering, the proper titles for the intros are as follows:

1. Rushton Company
3. If You're Missing a Child, Please Come to Isle For Cause We Got Him
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT