AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Monument - Decades Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.25
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Monument - Decades

Reviewed by: Nathan Lint (07/31/07)
Monument - Decades
Label: XOXO Records
Release Date: May 29th, 2007

One of my favorite new record labels, perhaps not created in 2007, but made in 2007 has been XOXO Records. Now you might have not heard of them yet, but with the lineup they have now, they could be a staple in the future. The band that has put them on the spotlight, The Gaslight Anthem, is now on tour with Against Me! But there's another band on the label that has yet to get the attention they deserve, Monument, out of New York City. First of all, let me just say that Monument and XOXO Records put together the coolest press kit i've seen. It was a folder that came with post cards, stickers, buttons, everything you need to be the ultimate Monument fan (I wear a medium, also guys). Jokes aisde though, Monument has released a very chilling and moving record called Decades. It might not appeal to everyone on this site, but it sure as hell got to me.

Decades begins with "The Intimate Anonymous", it is an opener that really sounds like a new beginning, not just some track thrown on there. In fact, that lyrics tell the same story. "I'll take the chance/ on a new beginning; a life with meaning/ you can't save us now/ in the future perfect; we'll complete the circles/ when you make a choice/ for you, for me". After a radio rock-friendly anthem in "Magnetic North", you get to one of the most chilling and anthemic songs made this year. Just the way that vocalist James Naddeo sings the lines "Awash in neon from the marquees on Bedford/ And I can't seem to find my way home", just gets me every time. "Metropolis" and "A Shelf Between Heights" make way for some really killer tracks in the title track, "Decades" and "Hold Still Now" which keep a slow but alarming tempo and mood to the big picture. Further at the end, you will hear "On My Way", which is even cogent on paper. With lyrics like "For all the caution in my life/ I wear the same disguises/ Afraid to run and too worried to leave it all behind", "On My Way" is another classic. After another ear-pleasing song in "Nom De Plume" we come to our closer, "Around Every Corner". an acoustic ballad that flaunts the sheer chill and talent of the band and is a great closer for such a record.

Decades
will be unfortunately overlooked by many for various reasons. But you can be one of the few that got to see what this band is capable of. Every time I listen to these tracks, I just get chills down my spine. It's nearly haunting, and it's very peaceful. If I were you, I would go check this band out, go check their label out, and go support both of them, because if you don't, in the near future, someone else will and you will be left in the dark as they are loving the music of their new favorite bands.

Recommended If You LikeColdplay. Radiohead, Elliott, Sigur Ros
Additional InformationTrack Listing
1. The Intimate Anonymous
2. Magnetic North
3. Siren
4. Metropolis
5. A Shelf Between Heights
6. Decades
7. Hold Still Now
8. Portraits
9. On My Eay
10. Nom De Plume
11. Around Every Corner
Myspace ; Order the album

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
11:22 AM on 08/01/07
jasoneyeball
such a registered user
User Info.
great review! this record is really solid
12:39 PM on 08/01/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
There's way too many bands named Monument.
01:05 PM on 08/01/07
ThrillOfItAll
Smoke em if you got em
User Info.
love this band, love this record
08:13 PM on 08/08/07
xoxorecords
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nathan,

thanks so much for the kind words, we really appreciate it and love your site.

xo.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News