Password

Album Review

Silversun Pickups - Seasick Album Cover

Silversun Pickups - Seasick

Reviewed by
Silversun Pickups - Seasick
Record Label: Dangerbird
Release Date: December 13, 2011
This review is a user submitted review from Jeremy Aaron. You can see all of Jeremy Aaron's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 38
11:08 AM on 12/28/11
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Quick Note:
With the new year and the eventual move over to the new site, I figure now is a good time to migrate toward the ten-point rating system we will be using. The percentage scores will accordingly be scaled a little lower than what I have given in the past. Just as a sort of general guide:

6.0 - 6.5: not bad / pretty good
7.0 - 7.5: good / very good (I anticipate most of my reviews falling in this range)
8.0 - 8.5: great / excellent (probably most of my top 30 for the year and a few of my honorable mentions-- an average of about one release per week or so)
9.0 - 9.5: rarefied air (a handful of albums a year, say the top 5 or thereabouts)
10: reserved for all-time classics (or making a pretentious statement)

Anything I perceive as being less than a 6.0, I would probably just toss in the discard pile and not bother wasting my time reviewing it.

I feel like this sort of puts me more in line with the scores of other publications on Metacritic and such. Naturally, even with the new system, everyone will have their own scoring methodology, but this is how I see mine playing out.
11:20 AM on 12/28/11
cwhit412
User Info.
Quick Note:
With the new year and the eventual move over to the new site, I figure now is a good time to migrate toward the ten-point rating system we will be using. The percentage scores will accordingly be scaled a little lower than what I have given in the past. Just as a sort of general guide:

6.0 - 6.5: not bad / pretty good
7.0 - 7.5: good / very good (I anticipate most of my reviews falling in this range)
8.0 - 8.5: great / excellent (probably most of my top 30 for the year and a few of my honorable mentions-- an average of about one release per week or so)
9.0 - 9.5: rarefied air (a handful of albums a year, say the top 5 or thereabouts)
10: reserved for all-time classics (or making a pretentious statement)

Anything I perceive as being less than a 6.0, I would probably just toss in the discard pile and not bother wasting my time reviewing it.

I feel like this sort of puts me more in line with the scores of other publications on Metacritic and such. Naturally, even with the new system, everyone will have their own scoring methodology, but this is how I see mine playing out.
I agree with that scale. especially with your statement about being less than a 6.0.
My only feeling about it is that I'm used to the 7.0 range being a "C" album, which although average, is something I wouldn't ever want.
Your scale fits about what Pitchfork is. Which I can get behind entirely.
11:31 AM on 12/28/11
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Glad these songs got to see the light of day but I definitely agree they wouldn't have fit on Swoon. That was such a cohesive record as-is. Can't wait for 3!
11:52 AM on 12/28/11
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
I agree with that scale. especially with your statement about being less than a 6.0.
My only feeling about it is that I'm used to the 7.0 range being a "C" album, which although average, is something I wouldn't ever want.
why would you see a 7.0 as a C album when it's using a numerical scale? dumb.
11:52 AM on 12/28/11
drudo182
You Are Not Alone
User Info.
Listening to Carnavas right now.
11:53 AM on 12/28/11
cwhit412
User Info.
why would you see a 7.0 as a C album when it's using a numerical scale? dumb.
Because 70% is a C in school, duh.
11:54 AM on 12/28/11
Jake Jenkins
User Info.
Because 70% is a C in school, duh.
this isn't school
11:54 AM on 12/28/11
thesinkingship
this boat is obviously sinking
User Info.
I hate scores. They should just been thrown out. The review is what matters.
11:55 AM on 12/28/11
cwhit412
User Info.
Well, that comment just SCHOOLED me.
11:56 AM on 12/28/11
thesinkingship
this boat is obviously sinking
User Info.
Most of these kids are perfectly happy with average, in school and music wise.
11:57 AM on 12/28/11
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
--cwhitted
11:57 AM on 12/28/11
Jake Jenkins
User Info.
Well, that comment just SCHOOLED me.
i'll be here all week
12:06 PM on 12/28/11
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Glad these songs got to see the light of day but I definitely agree they wouldn't have fit on Swoon. That was such a cohesive record as-is. Can't wait for 3!
That's probably the best avatar ever.
12:11 PM on 12/28/11
cwhit412
User Info.
Most of these kids are perfectly happy with average, in school and music wise.

Yeah, I guess. I'm so used to my area being "if you get a C, you fail" mentality.
But whatever. Great band, and one of the best on Alt Rock radio.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos