Username
Password
Valencia News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Valencia
Inside AP.net

Why JD Won't Be Playing Valencia's Last Show

Posted by: Jason Tate (12/29/11)
JD has posted a blog explaining why he is not playing Valencia's last show.
From the BlogI was taken back by not being told beforehand or that I was not invited to play, so I sent an e-mail out to the guys asking to be a part of the show. I requested to play the whole show along with the inclusion of the new guitarist - it would not be a rotating deal, rather all 6 members would be a part of every song. I was out of the band for six months at this point, but I still felt as though I was an integral part of the group. I helped write and played on all three records. I put my blood, sweat, tears, and sacrifices into the band for the past eight years so I felt that my request to play the whole set was not too out of the park. I received reply e-mails from only Dan and Shane. The guys said they didn’t feel “comfortable” with me playing the entire set since I wasn’t in the band anymore and Trevor (who is a good friend of Valencia’s and has filled my spot on guitar since my departure) had done the band a great favor by playing. They offered the idea of featuring me on a few of the hit songs and not the whole set as I requested. I contacted George (as I am closest to him than the others in the band) to see if their response was the general consensus. He agreed with Shane and Dan’s response, encouraging me to not take on the mentality of “all or nothing.” I felt replaced and upset with their wanting me to only play “the hits” so I said, “No, thank you.” I did not hear a response from Brendan.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 86
11:33 AM on 12/29/11
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Sounds like things were worse than most of us knew. Pretty lame they couldn't have sucked it up for one last time.
11:34 AM on 12/29/11
fireandice31
User Info.
It's nice to see that, even though he felt wronged, he was able to show his disappointment without bashing band members in a childish way (a la most other bands out there).
11:36 AM on 12/29/11
cwhit412
User Info.
He WAS not playing the show. It already happened...
Jason Tate
User Info.
Have mixed feelings on this ... I mean, he did quit the band.
Manufactured Dreams
Fabricated Revolution
User Info.
11:38 AM on 12/29/11
CS Lewis
I gave what I gave. . .
User Info.
He WAS not playing the show. It already happened...
This.
11:40 AM on 12/29/11
MyFaceWhen
Professional Mormon
User Info.
Quote:
I felt replaced and upset

11:41 AM on 12/29/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I don't think he has anything to complain about. The band is in the right here. Sorry.
11:46 AM on 12/29/11
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
He quit and therefore should pay the consequences for that, but at the same time, the band could've been nicer about it considering it was their last show, and Brendan could've at least responded. But either way, the band's not in the wrong for denying him the right to play. It just wasn't an unreasonable request.
11:46 AM on 12/29/11
I am Mick
http://www.worncolors.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
Yeah...he did quit the band.
11:54 AM on 12/29/11
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I kinda feel like since he quit, his request to be a part of the whole thing was a bit much. Definitely think he should be a part of it, but hey, he quit the band. I think the band's suggestion of playing on some of the hits was a very fair compromise, though I could understand him being upset.
12:00 PM on 12/29/11
wakozako123
wat
User Info.
I think the band was generous in offering him to play their hits considering he was no longer a part of Valencia. You can't just quit a band then expect to be treated like a full member again even if it was for their last show.
12:02 PM on 12/29/11
donwagenblast
@mylifeisdon
User Info.
In addition to him quitting, they also had a guy come in and learn all their songs, so to tell that guy that he was being replaced would have been a major slap in the face. However, he went on to say that the band offered to have him play the encore, which I think would have been the best solution. Its a tough situation, and the way JD explained it, I don't think anyone was going to come out looking good in it.
12:04 PM on 12/29/11
makeasound
start appreciating yourself
User Info.
I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said.

On one hand, I completely understand him asking to be a part of the show since Valencia was at one point such a huge part of his life.

By that same token, in a previous post on his health-related blog, he had said he quit the band essentially because he no longer felt invested in the music and lifestyle that being in Valencia led to. So I also completely see where the other guys were coming from in being hesitant to say yes straight off.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums