AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Video Games News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Games Round-Up (01/02/12)

Posted by - 10:41 AM on 01/02/12
This week's Games Round-Up can be seen in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 48
10:41 AM on 01/02/12
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
Thanks to Anthony for putting this together:

Games Round-UpHello everyone, Anthony here with the first Gamer Round-Up of 2012! I hope you had a happy and safe New Year's, now let's get down to business.

TOPICS OF THE WEEK
What game series would you like to see make a comeback this year? What game series do you think needs to take a seat on the sidelines this year?

THE WEEK IN GAMING

According to reports, the Wii U's online store is rumored to offer more non-game media apps then the Wii. It has been suggested that apps like MLB.TV will run on the system and on the system's tablet controller, along with e-mail and social networking apps as well.

Sorry Half-Life fans, it looks like you've been "trolled" about the recent rumblings of Half-Life 3's upcoming release. According to Valve, there is no current ARG for the long-awaited title as it has been reported and that there is still no official plans for the sequel.

For gamers looking to get the Twisted Metal reboot this upcoming Valentine's Day, you'll be getting the gift of two games! The limited edition version of the game will ship with a PSN voucher for a copy of Twisted Metal Black, the classic PS2 title in the series.

According to Torrentfreak, Crysis 2 was the most pirated PC game of the year, with a whopping 3.9 million illegal downloads. Behind Crysis 2 on the list was Modern Warfare 3 with 3.6 million downloads and Battlefield 3 with 3.5 million downloads.

Apparently Activision doesn't like people fiddling around with the inter-workings of their Skylander toy/game line, as one programmer found out after receiving a cease & desist letter from the company's lawyers. The man in question was tinkering with the game's portal device for a site he runs for fun and was not planning on sharing these findings on his site. However, the man cooperated with the legal order and agreed to not publish his findings for the sake of peace.

Ever wonder what if the Xbox 360 had a functioning DVR built into the system? Well according to recently surfaced patent filings, Microsoft apparently had the same idea too at one point. Filed in the beginning of 2007, the patent shows plans for a console that had a built-in DVR application that could be able record during gameplay or when the system was turned off. Perhaps we'll see something similar with Microsoft's upcoming new Xbox?

The famous their-bark-is-worse-then-their-bite group Anonymous has announced they plan on "shutting down Sony's online system" due to their support of the SOPA bill. There is no word of when (or if) the "attack" will take place but the mouth breathing group declares that it will happen "soon". In other news, Anonymous users then created more shitty Rage Guy memes on 4chan and cried to their mothers that they are out of Mountain Dew and Cheetos.

After corporation Viacom sold the Guitar Hero/Rock Band developer Harmonix for a paltry sum of 50 dollars back in November 2010, it appears that decision has come back to haunt them. Ex-shareholders in Harmonix have been awarded $338 million in a private arbitration decision, due to Viacom not paying the shareholders their performance-based bonuses that were agreed upon in 2006. Viacom is currently fighting the decision, by appealing in a Delaware court to have the decision overturned.

Speaking of Rock Band, a happy story from across the pond tells of 23 year old Marc Rodwell, whom lost 224 pounds playing Rock Band along with diet and other exercise. Previously weighing over a whopping 500 pounds (or 36-stone) and being told he wouldn't live to see his 24th birthday, Marc played the game's drums daily and burned off those calories until he reached his current weight. He will celebrate his 24th birthday this upcoming February, so good on you Marc and have a happy birthday!

IGN recently announced that the PS3 was the winner of their Console Showdown for 2011. The decision was reached due to the strong release of first party title exclusives throughout the year, as well as the amount of high scores that PS3 titles received in reviews. Congrats Sony!

In a Are-You-Serious?! story, a man in China has paid the American dollar equivalent of 16,000 dollars for a digital sword for the MMO, Age of Wulin. The real kicker in this story is that the MMO in question hasn't even been released yet, with an open beta being launched this spring. People and their money.....

Finally, after beginning the service in September, game retailer juggernaut GameStop has announced their iOS trade-in program has been a "success" While not giving away any specific numbers yet, the company has stated that the information will be released along with their holiday sales report.

This upcoming year in gaming is going to be exciting and with it, this Round-Up is going to have a few improvements added to it for the new year. Currently being planned is bringing back the platform-specific news sections in the Round-Up, along with a more even amount of news for each platform. Along with that, I'm also planning on adding a feature to the Round-Up that compiles multiple reviews of games from various news sources into a neat, organized section for easy access to different opinions and viewpoints on a specific title. I'd like to ask the readers of the Round-Up to what you all think of these ideas as well as any input to other features and improvements you'd like to see in the Round-Up, as I'd like for the Round-Up to be as user-involved as it can be.

Along with that, I'd like to invite readers whom haven't to come and check out the AP Video Game Thread in the Entertainment fourm. Everyone is welcome to post and discuss their thoughts on gaming in there, as well as adding their XBL/PSN gamertags to the ever-growing list in the OP or even find some new people to play online with. So don't be shy, stop on in and say hello!

Alright with all that, that wraps this week's Gamer Round-Up and I'll see you all next week with a new slab of fresh gaming news for you!

Contributor: anthonydarko

News story links from this week's Round-Up are provided by Destructoid, Joystiq and IGN.
11:15 AM on 01/02/12
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
I personally would like to see a list of games currently being released this week. I usually have to go to wal mart on tuesday to see what's new or not.
11:29 AM on 01/02/12
marchofmarty
SPINE, THIGH, AND BREAST
User Info.
Is that shot at Anonymous really necessary? Yes they do weird things but I think everyone here can agree that SOPA sucks.

And I would like to see Pikmin come back. It's my favorite Nintendo franchise after Zelda/Mario/Metroid and I was bummed out the Wii never got a legit Pikmin game.
11:34 AM on 01/02/12
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
did you seriously take a shot at Anonymous? dude...
11:57 AM on 01/02/12
_veges_
User Info.
Improvements to this seem to be cool. For the question, I think I would love to see another Need for Speed Most Wanted game. I just started playing that game again and I always forget how much I liked it even if I might be alone. I also think it's time for Call of Duty to take a break, just because the constant hype creates a lot of hate for it IMO
11:59 AM on 01/02/12
thesinkingship
Hummingbirds who lost the plot
User Info.
Is that shot at Anonymous really necessary? Yes they do weird things but I think everyone here can agree that SOPA sucks.

Yes, it's completely necessary. They don't just do "weird" things, they do illegal things. Illegal things that upset everyday people more than the corporations they target. Sony isn't going to change their minds because of a potential security threat.
12:09 PM on 01/02/12
deezee
geekrevolt.com
User Info.
Good roundup! I'd like to see Jak & Dexter make a comeback, but Naughty Dog are probably too busy working on Uncharted 4 for the PS4, and their second team is toying away at the last of us. And I'll be original here--COD needs to take a break.

Oh and if anyone is interested I reviewed the PS Vita, it's a cool little device.

http://geekrevolt.com/2011/12/31/ps-...anese-version/
12:13 PM on 01/02/12
Simulcast
Just a free ride and a big scam
User Info.
No half-life...
12:17 PM on 01/02/12
marchofmarty
SPINE, THIGH, AND BREAST
User Info.
Yes, it's completely necessary. They don't just do "weird" things, they do illegal things. Illegal things that upset everyday people more than the corporations they target. Sony isn't going to change their minds because of a potential security threat.
Okay, but interjecting your opinion that is completely unrelated to a "video game round-up" isn't necessary.

I'm not going to debate with you about what Anonymous does and if it's right or not. This is a thread about video games, which is why it's not necessary.
12:19 PM on 01/02/12
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
That rock band story is really interesting. Good for that guy!
12:26 PM on 01/02/12
esposimi
The Human Fund
User Info.
Not surprised to see Crysis 2 as the top downloaded game, considering it got leaked a month early.
12:43 PM on 01/02/12
thesinkingship
Hummingbirds who lost the plot
User Info.
Okay, but interjecting your opinion that is completely unrelated to a "video game round-up" isn't necessary.

I'm not going to debate with you about what Anonymous does and if it's right or not. This is a thread about video games, which is why it's not necessary.
There's nothing wrong with writing an opinion into a round-up. Every writer on this site will often put their opinion in posts that aren't necessarily "opinion articles". So what if the author of the post took a shot at Anonymous? Why should that offend you? People have different views on it. If the author of the round-up commented about Anonymous in the comments section of this post, would it be any different?
01:13 PM on 01/02/12
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
I personally would like to see a list of games currently being released this week. I usually have to go to wal mart on tuesday to see what's new or not.
Alright I'll have to put that on the drawing board as well. Thanks for the input.

And I would like to see Pikmin come back. It's my favorite Nintendo franchise after Zelda/Mario/Metroid and I was bummed out the Wii never got a legit Pikmin game.

did you seriously take a shot at Anonymous? dude...

Considering I had to sit through the PSN outage and my personal information raided by an Anonymous fringe group and I potentially may have to sit through another one and potentially have my personal information raided again, yes I will take shots at Anonymous for what they plan on doing. Regardless of the potential of SOPA and my opinion about it, that is a shitty course of action and only gets innocent people in the crossfire, in this case innocent gamers who have nothing to do with the bill. So I will speak my mind about this and if you don't agree with it, that's your business.
01:17 PM on 01/02/12
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
There's nothing wrong with writing an opinion into a round-up. Every writer on this site will often put their opinion in posts that aren't necessarily "opinion articles". So what if the author of the post took a shot at Anonymous? Why should that offend you? People have different views on it. If the author of the round-up commented about Anonymous in the comments section of this post, would it be any different?
Thank you

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version