AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Myspace News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Myspace
Inside AP.net

Is it time to delete your band's myspace profile? Yes.

Posted by: Jason Tate (01/03/12)
I've been having an ongoing debate with some staff and friends about whether or not it's time for bands to delete their myspace profiles once and for all. I mean, you've got one side that says "well it's still a platform for posting some music" - and then you have my side which is: "any other platform out there is better than myspace." The first impression someone gets when they google your band name should not be myspace. I would make the argument that bands should still have their own domain name and internet presence. Then, with that, the should be active on a variety of social media websites. Their main page can be a hub to all those other "social" sites. However, I'm willing to be convinced: is there any reason bands should keep their myspace profiles? Does anyone really want to listen to music on that website? Does anyone really want that to be how their band is represented?

Pull the plug.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 120
05:55 PM on 01/03/12
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
I heard they just revamped Myspace a few weeks ago. Haven't had any desire to see for myself.
05:56 PM on 01/03/12
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Whatta hater!

Going on myspace makes my head hurt now.
05:56 PM on 01/03/12
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
User Info.
The scene is dead.

It's the abandoned amusement park of the Internet.
05:58 PM on 01/03/12
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
You do make a good point, and every time I tried to use MySpace, every single time, my computer ran like it was being run over. I'd agree, and with the resurgence of Purevolume, and Soundcloud blowing up, there is no point in keeping MySpace pages up and running.
05:59 PM on 01/03/12
Amory10
User Info.
I really don't think it matters. I check my band's old myspace page every now and then and see that there are small percentages of people from all over the world still listening daily. Despite the fact that its only a small amount of listens a day, I don't think it hurts to keep the page.

Like you said though, having your own domain name and being a part of other media websites is a must.
05:59 PM on 01/03/12
LivingTheLyrics
What you feel will rarely rhyme.
User Info.
Agreed. If MySpace hadn't redesigned a million times since 2004, when I last used it at all, I'd say keep them up for the sake of nostalgia... but that's not the case. The aforementioned pages and their presence at the top of Google searches has got to be the only reason why MySpace gets any visitors whatsoever. The whole site just needs to get Old Yeller'd.
06:00 PM on 01/03/12
Steve Dietrich
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Definately have to agree with you on this one. MySpace has become a mess of a website, and hardly anyone really uses it anymore. In fact, most band's Myspace profiles that I have visted recently only have a few songs up and simply redirect you to their Facebook page.
06:01 PM on 01/03/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Agreed. If MySpace hadn't redesigned a million times since 2004, when I last used it at all, I'd say keep them up for the sake of nostalgia... but that's not the case. The aforementioned pages and their presence at the top of Google searches has got to be the only reason why MySpace gets any visitors whatsoever. The whole site just needs to get Old Yeller'd.
06:05 PM on 01/03/12
skinnypuppy
Jon Hughes
User Info.
Jason,

My only argument would be that a band like Suicide Silence still gets 900 song plays daily on Myspace. Should those numbers be ignored? Genuine question. Do you think those 900 people will go the extra step to find a new source to play tracks?
06:05 PM on 01/03/12
DevinDomino
FUCKyeah
User Info.
No. Get rid of the shit. The music player is crap. Everything is so disorganized now. Not saying it wasn't a shit site back in it's prime (06-08) but now it's just painful to even hear that people are trying to keep that site alive. It did good for tons of bands during the mid 2000s. But being a band and promoting said band through myspace is like selling drugs in front of a police station.
06:06 PM on 01/03/12
Avalanche1
Keep running, keep shining on
User Info.
Myspace is a dead platform. Having a band page on Facebook is so much simpler and allows the band to interact with their fans much easier as well as have music up for fans to listen to.
06:06 PM on 01/03/12
ohitsmark
www.markvphotos.com
User Info.
I can't tell you what it's like because it kills my computer.

But I agree bands still need their own .com's and such.
06:07 PM on 01/03/12
trojanick
they all got boyfriends anyway
User Info.
But JT is going to save it! I hear he's going to drop the "my" so it's just "space". It's cleaner.
06:07 PM on 01/03/12
Jake Denning
User Info.
My argument is in favor -- even though you may get a pathetic number of daily streams, it COULD translate into a kid coming out to a show and buying $100 in Merch that night
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests