Album Review
Monument Monument - Call Off The Roses Album Cover

Monument Monument - Call Off The Roses

Reviewed by
Monument Monument - Call Off The Roses EP
Released: 2006
Unsigned

Who?

Monument Monument is a melodic pop band straight out of the Detroit suburbs. They've managed to create a concordant balance between vocalist Steven Branstrom's nasally but effective vocals and the very atmospheric poprock sound the rest of the band generates.

How Is It?

Did you ever wonder who composes the tunes to aquatic exhibits or car commercials? Neither have I. But if I ever wanted to make one of the above, i'd call these guys to make me a song. You can take that whatever way you want, but this music is just relaxing. It really draws you in and keeps you wanting more. It starts off with the title track, "Call Off The Roses", which wastes no time in getting straight to the song instead of starting with a two minute intro that most bands tend to do nowadays. Branstrom's voice strains at times, but yours would too when hitting the notes he does. While some bands in this genre seem forced, Monument Monument show the true emotion in tracks like "Full Of Life" and "Looking For You". After a few tracks of showing off Branstrom's pipes, they start to really show that they can play their instruments too with an enthralling piano solo in "Shoulders" and the quiet guitar strums in "Holy Smokes". Probably my favorite track on Call Off The Roses is "Eskimo" which reminds me of some of the slower elements of Anberlin and really shows off Branstrom's range once again. The final track, "Outro" is a very sound and quiet ending to an EP that shows the talent of this unique band. I could see this band having an intro that sounds very much like this track on their next record and be somewhat of an "anticipation track" for what is to come. Once you get past the nasally sound of his voice (I know, i keep talking about the vocals), you really grow to appreciate it and the wonderful music the rest of the band makes. Call Off The Roses is an elegant and strong debut from one of the best atmospheric poprock bands around.

Sounds LikeOne Eleven Records, Anberlin, The Spill Canvas

www.myspace.com/monumentmonument
This review is a user submitted review from Nathan Lint. You can see all of Nathan Lint's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
01:30 PM on 08/06/07
vandalroyale
Down and almost out
User Info.
I really like this EP - Good someone else thinks so too -- good review
02:24 PM on 08/06/07
SweetThye
esta noche sera mia
User Info.
Love this band. Discovered them on Purevolume.
01:35 AM on 08/07/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
I should check them out.
10:39 AM on 08/11/07
ascitiesburn101
adam
User Info.
I have two songs and they both have like 8 plays each. Good band.
11:49 AM on 08/11/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
I keep hearing things about this band but never checked them out.

Good review.
10:19 PM on 08/11/07
xBROOKx138x
i've made a huge mistake
User Info.
steves got a nice body. tight.
09:17 AM on 02/24/11
samanthaheyyy
User Info.
Sounds Like: Mae.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News