Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

My "Chinese Democracy" List

Posted by: Jason Tate (01/05/12)
As I was scrolling through my iTunes the other day, I rediscovered my love for Brandtson. And as I was realizing how good (and underappreciated) the band was, it made me start thinking about a variety of albums, and collections of songs, that have gone "unreleased" by different bands over the years. So, I decided to make a list of the top 5 I'd love to hear if somehow they could ever see the light of day. Of course, the ones I don't know about would probably dominate this list. Feel free to add your own "Chinese Democracy" list, or any insider knowledge about the albums I mention, in the replies.

1) Brandtson - Turn Me on Dead Man
NoteThis is the band that got me thinking about this list. We know at one point the album was close to release. I want to hear that sucker. I've wanted to hear it since I knew they were recording it. What's it take? Will pay.

2) Rock Kills Kid - Unknown Album
NoteI've heard from two really good sources that a variety of music was recorded, and then shelved by the record label. The band's debut full-length is one of my favorite "before their time" albums. They were just a few years too early. Now they might be years too late, but I still am curious what they came up with. If the story about the label shelving the album is true, this is the kind of leak I'd be ok with.

3) Green Day - Cigarettes and Valentines
NoteThe story goes that before American Idiot, there was a group of songs - maybe a full album - that were stolen from the band. I mean, the band then released arguably the biggest album of their careers - and have said it was a blessing in disguise. However, I want to hear what that album would have sounded like. And if they want record another album like Warning, I'd be ok with that too.

4) Brand New - Fight Off Your Demons Sessions
NoteIf you're on this website, you know the story. The demos that leaked from Brand New's sessions before TDAGARIM are some of my favorite Brand New songs. I know we've seen the release of some of them in one way or another over the years -- but I'd love a full on official release of those sessions. I've heard there are even more tunes we haven't heard. A few in that "Morrissey" style of "Untitled 2" -- which gives me a halfy just thinking about.

5) Acceptance - The Next Album
NoteAfter hearing the demos that were being worked on for the follow-up to Phantoms, there's no doubt in my mind this thing would have been great. I'm not really sure what other songs exist out there in the ether, but the thought of un-heard Acceptance songs leaves me wishing. I recently talked to some band members about the possibility of a reunion. They said they'd probably be up for it if Jason would get on board. So far, no luck in that department however. At this point I think I'd settle for getting Phantoms on vinyl or something. But damn, the thought of a reunion is almost as exciting as the thought of hearing new songs from the band.

I know there are probably plenty of others I could come up with if I spent more time thinking about it. But these are the ones that came first to my head. I'm going to go listen to "Earthquakes and Sharks" on repeat and dream about what could have been. And if anyone in any of these bands ever wants to sneak us the "unheard songs" ...we're all ears.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 424.
12:36 PM on 01/05/12
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
The Postal Service.

I'd kill to hear a single new Postal Service song, nevermind 10+. I'm pretty sure Ben Gibbard even admitted their second album was becoming somewhat of a Chinese Democracy for indie rock/electronic music.
12:37 PM on 01/05/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
- the last My Heart to Joy record
- the version of Poison the Well's Versions with Derek on it. the one they scrapped.
12:38 PM on 01/05/12
Rodeo
User Info.
Circle Takes The Square.
12:39 PM on 01/05/12
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Box Car Racer, +44, and Postal Service are instant thoughts for me. Midtown too I suppose
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
The Postal Service.

I'd kill to hear a single new Postal Service song, nevermind 10+. I'm pretty sure Ben Gibbard even admitted their second album was becoming somewhat of a Chinese Democracy for indie rock/electronic music.
Yep. They kept on talking up a second album for awhile, then Gibbard killed it. Jimmy Tambarello said he's no longer interested. Doubt it will ever happen.
Jason Tate
User Info.
The Postal Service.

Good fuck I wish. Yeah, that would rule too.
12:40 PM on 01/05/12
sparkle7
User Info.
It was probably the bare bones for Fun's "Aim and Ignite" but I would have killed to hear The Format's "Holy Ghost".
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Songs from the Black Hole, even though it's now all out, as complete as it ever will be. Woulda been cool to have a studio version
failedXromance
User Info.
TBS- The Follow up to TAYF
Gaugzilla
User Info.
Box Car Racer, +44, and Postal Service are instant thoughts for me. Midtown too I suppose
Yea, I remember at the Box Car Racer show in Cleveland, Tom talking up a new album and even playing a new song, as well as a Frank Sinatra cover. Wonder what happened to that extra song.
12:41 PM on 01/05/12
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
Some more Acceptance songs would be fantastic, the demos that are out there are incredible.
More Postal Service would always be welcome, too, of course.
12:41 PM on 01/05/12
Gaugzilla
User Info.
The Foo Fighters' "Million Dollar Sessions" that were what "One By One" originally sounded like.
12:42 PM on 01/05/12
Lawliet
I have learned to love the lie
User Info.
Matchbook Romance - Album 3 (Two SOLID albums, the second being incredibly more mature -- who knows what else they could have brought to the table for album 3)
The Cranberries - Album 6 (which we are finally getting -- will even have infamous songs they were playing live right before the hiatus 9 years ago)
Daphne Loves Derby - Album 3 (I have a lot of demos and unmixed tracks [essentially the full album bounces] but I want to hear everything mastered and whatnot -- it would impress anyone who doubted them
12:42 PM on 01/05/12
flyerfan182
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Finch, I heard they were recording before they finally broke up.

Fenix Tx, I just want a flippin new album already! Are they back together or what?

Everything that happened with Drive Thru Records makes me think we are missing out on a lot of lost stuff. Not sure though.

Agree with you Jason on Rock Kills Kid. Where can I hear the Brand New leaks?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS