AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 5 posts.
01:00 PM on 01/05/12
anamericangod
User Info.
Depressing. I still buy CD's, bought 7 this week in fact.
I just don't understand how you can feel like you own something if it isn't tangible.
Ask the younger generation that doesn't value actual things.
01:27 PM on 01/05/12
anamericangod
User Info.
I agree that it's more, uh, comforting(?) to physically own a CD or vinyl, but I don't understand the point of your post. Is it supposed to be negative that young people (supposedly) value ideas more than material goods? Shouldn't that be a good thing?
No. The "idea" of an mp3, along with the idea of "shitty, compressed, mass market, terrible" music that has led to a system where the artist gets fucked out of a lot of money is not a good thing.

Nor does this younger generation even make their purchases based on this "idea" you describe. They have no good intentions. They want their shitty mp3s and they want them now. There's no philosophical or existential thought process to what they are doing.
01:38 PM on 01/05/12
anamericangod
User Info.
This leads me to ask:
Are the younger generations really buying that much music?

I'd like to see some graphics on purchases by age groups. I honestly have a feeling that a whole lot of digital purchases come from older people.
Given the current economic situation, the younger kids probably have more disposable income. They aren't worried about car payments, feeding a family, paying rent, etc. They have money to blow on music. Are they going to buy what we consider "good music?" Probably not. Pop music is pop music. Are they going to buy CDs or vinyl when they can click two or three times and have their boom boom chugga chugga tunes instantly on their iPod? Nope.

It's great to see the increase in vinyl purchases, but it cannot even come close to digital sales. It's a completely different beast, and the mindset of the generation that is making the majority of these purchases wants instant gratification. That is not something that physical media accommodates.
01:45 PM on 01/05/12
anamericangod
User Info.
Whatever is more cheaper and more convenient is what people are going to flock to.

It's time for bands to get off their asses and find new revenue streams outside of peddling $20 t-shirts.
I can't argue the shirt thing. Merch has a place in the system, but unless you're a gimmick act that can pull off selling a fuck ton of shitty shirts, it's not a very sustainable model.
02:13 PM on 01/05/12
anamericangod
User Info.
What? Are you implying that it's negative that because younger generation doesn't necessarily prefer a physical product to digital? Woah, you there are some rascals on your lawn, too, old man.
I grew up with tapes and then CDs, when I was especially young my dad would play records for me, and I do place value on physical product. However, you can't blame a whole generation for preferring a type of media that has been an industry standard for a decade.
Napster came out in 1999, iTunes and the iPod in 2001. That means if you're sixteen or seventeen, digital music has been around since you started listening to music.
So...what's your point?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums