sjb2k1
User Info.
i don't understand how you wouldn't want the physical product in your hands

younger generation is going to kill the CD and i will cry
01:15 PM on 01/05/12
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Forever in the minority. I think I've purchased less than 10 MP3s in my life.
01:16 PM on 01/05/12
calystarose
bearing a vultuous visage
User Info.
Depressing. I still buy CD's, bought 7 this week in fact.
I just don't understand how you can feel like you own something if it isn't tangible.
I buy both and feel no different about them. Sometimes it's more convenient or affordable to buy digitally. Or there are digital only exclusives. Then there are some physical copy only exclusives. As I listen to music primarily on my computer or ipod, I rip all cds to digital anyway.
01:19 PM on 01/05/12
smallfavours
arry otter~
User Info.
Lasted longer than 8-track
01:20 PM on 01/05/12
MJB12
User Info.
Can't remember the last time I bought a physical CD and didn't immediately upload it to my iPod and not touch it again. Downloading everything from the itunes store right at 10:00pm the night before it gets released is fine by me. The thrill of going to buy a CD has diminished and the on-demand and affordable aspect of purchasing digital music has become superior IMO.
01:21 PM on 01/05/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
Ask the younger generation that doesn't value actual things.
I agree that it's more, uh, comforting(?) to physically own a CD or vinyl, but I don't understand the point of your post. Is it supposed to be negative that young people (supposedly) value ideas more than material goods? Shouldn't that be a good thing?
01:22 PM on 01/05/12
smallfavours
arry otter~
User Info.
I buy both and feel no different about them. Sometimes it's more convenient or affordable to buy digitally. Or there are digital only exclusives. Then there are some physical copy only exclusives. As I listen to music primarily on my computer or ipod, I rip all cds to digital anyway.

I agree. I also don't have an aux port in my car (never have in ANY vehicle I owned) so I use CDs. Same goes for Blu-Ray and DVD. Then you realize you've watche everything online unknowingly...

I do kind of wish artists offered the digital copy when you purchase a physical copy, or vice versa.
01:23 PM on 01/05/12
prospekt
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I used to buy about five CDs a month but stopped last summer. I started using Zune Pass then and every Tuesday I go online and grab a few new releases.

It's so much better having all that music available for $10 than paying for a bunch of CDs. I don't know how people still buy CDs and not go with subscription services.
01:23 PM on 01/05/12
COREhorizon
Get Free
User Info.
As long as I'm listening to the music, it brings me the same feelings regardless of whether I have the CD or not.
01:25 PM on 01/05/12
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
Buying an mp3 feels like making a donation to a musician, to be honest.
That's a bad way to look at it but with piracy it's how it makes me feel.

CDs for life. They're more or less the size of books, which is IMO the right size for a physical product with music.

We got CDs going down, mp3s and vinyl going up. Weird world.
01:27 PM on 01/05/12
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
i don't understand how you wouldn't want the physical product in your hands

younger generation is going to kill the CD and i will cry

this.
01:27 PM on 01/05/12
anamericangod
User Info.
I agree that it's more, uh, comforting(?) to physically own a CD or vinyl, but I don't understand the point of your post. Is it supposed to be negative that young people (supposedly) value ideas more than material goods? Shouldn't that be a good thing?
No. The "idea" of an mp3, along with the idea of "shitty, compressed, mass market, terrible" music that has led to a system where the artist gets fucked out of a lot of money is not a good thing.

Nor does this younger generation even make their purchases based on this "idea" you describe. They have no good intentions. They want their shitty mp3s and they want them now. There's no philosophical or existential thought process to what they are doing.
01:30 PM on 01/05/12
YoShitsGoinDown
User Info.
No. The "idea" of an mp3, along with the idea of "shitty, compressed, mass market, terrible" music that has led to a system where the artist gets fucked out of a lot of money is not a good thing.

Nor does this younger generation even make their purchases based on this "idea" you describe. They have no good intentions. They want their shitty mp3s and they want them now. There's no philosophical or existential thought process to what they are doing.
Amen
01:32 PM on 01/05/12
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.

This leads me to ask:
Are the younger generations really buying that much music?

I'd like to see some graphics on purchases by age groups. I honestly have a feeling that a whole lot of digital purchases come from older people.
01:36 PM on 01/05/12
saintnumberfive
Don't wake me, I plan on sleeping
User Info.
As CDs have become more and more outdated, I find myself buying a lot of digital, but I am a sucker for artwork.

So if I download an album and it turns out I really love it, I will buy the same thing on vinyl but only as wall art for my house. It's prettier than anything you can find at Ikea..
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests