Username
Password
Record Sales News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 92.
01:38 PM on 01/05/12
anamericangod
User Info.
This leads me to ask:
Are the younger generations really buying that much music?

I'd like to see some graphics on purchases by age groups. I honestly have a feeling that a whole lot of digital purchases come from older people.
Given the current economic situation, the younger kids probably have more disposable income. They aren't worried about car payments, feeding a family, paying rent, etc. They have money to blow on music. Are they going to buy what we consider "good music?" Probably not. Pop music is pop music. Are they going to buy CDs or vinyl when they can click two or three times and have their boom boom chugga chugga tunes instantly on their iPod? Nope.

It's great to see the increase in vinyl purchases, but it cannot even come close to digital sales. It's a completely different beast, and the mindset of the generation that is making the majority of these purchases wants instant gratification. That is not something that physical media accommodates.
01:42 PM on 01/05/12
prospekt
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
No. The "idea" of an mp3, along with the idea of "shitty, compressed, mass market, terrible" music that has led to a system where the artist gets fucked out of a lot of money is not a good thing.

Nor does this younger generation even make their purchases based on this "idea" you describe. They have no good intentions. They want their shitty mp3s and they want them now. There's no philosophical or existential thought process to what they are doing.

Whatever is more cheaper and more convenient is what people are going to flock to.

It's time for bands to get off their asses and find new revenue streams outside of peddling $20 t-shirts.
01:45 PM on 01/05/12
anamericangod
User Info.
Whatever is more cheaper and more convenient is what people are going to flock to.

It's time for bands to get off their asses and find new revenue streams outside of peddling $20 t-shirts.
I can't argue the shirt thing. Merch has a place in the system, but unless you're a gimmick act that can pull off selling a fuck ton of shitty shirts, it's not a very sustainable model.
01:48 PM on 01/05/12
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
Given the current economic situation, the younger kids probably have more disposable income. They aren't worried about car payments, feeding a family, paying rent, etc. They have money to blow on music. Are they going to buy what we consider "good music?" Probably not. Pop music is pop music. Are they going to buy CDs or vinyl when they can click two or three times and have their boom boom chugga chugga tunes instantly on their iPod? Nope.
Good point.
I was kind of thinking the other way around, since it's harder for kids to get jobs, and I consider people who regularly purchase music to be people a bit better off than those on a tight budget. But then again, unemployment here is pretty heavy even compared to the US so I might be looking at it the wrong way. And if you look at pop music sales, it supports your argument much better than mine.

If anyone has any statistics regarding digital purchases by age groups, please come forth.
01:55 PM on 01/05/12
Mr. November
I won't fuck us over.
User Info.
who cares
01:55 PM on 01/05/12
tyler2tall147
Awesome
User Info.
The only digital "albums" I have ever bought are some cheapies ($1-$5) on Amazon MP3 or Zune when they had sales (Butch Walker, Paramore, Green Day, Relient K, Fall Out Boy), and that new Punchline EP on iTunes. Everything else has been physical. If I'm going to spend $10, Id rather have an actual CD
01:56 PM on 01/05/12
tyler2tall147
Awesome
User Info.
As CDs have become more and more outdated, I find myself buying a lot of digital, but I am a sucker for artwork.

So if I download an album and it turns out I really love it, I will buy the same thing on vinyl but only as wall art for my house. It's prettier than anything you can find at Ikea..
curious, how do you hang/put them on your wall? I always thought doing that with vinyl would be awesome.
fearthesloths
blown from the hinge
User Info.
i don't think i've ever bought digital music... maybe like 1 or 2 songs, maybe. i used to buy CD's all the time (own about 500) and now i just buy vinyl.
betweenvega
one two three fo fiffffffffffffffff
User Info.
Ask the younger generation that doesn't value actual things.

What? Are you implying that it's negative that because younger generation doesn't necessarily prefer a physical product to digital? Woah, you there are some rascals on your lawn, too, old man.
I grew up with tapes and then CDs, when I was especially young my dad would play records for me, and I do place value on physical product. However, you can't blame a whole generation for preferring a type of media that has been an industry standard for a decade.
Napster came out in 1999, iTunes and the iPod in 2001. That means if you're sixteen or seventeen, digital music has been around since you started listening to music.
01:57 PM on 01/05/12
Hail Lelouch
User Info.
Quote:
The most streamed song of 2011? Nicki Minaj's "Super Bass," with 84.9 million audio streams and 71 million video streams.

lol
01:58 PM on 01/05/12
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Really? I've never had a problem.
I think the product as a whole is still spotty. I checked the Apple forums and it looks like a ton of people have this problem. Frustrating because I go through the problem of converting my .avi files (I'm assuming you can guess where I got those) for TV shows to itunes formats and I still can't watch them on my TV.
01:58 PM on 01/05/12
fearthesloths
blown from the hinge
User Info.
curious, how do you hang/put them on your wall? I always thought doing that with vinyl would be awesome.
i do this as well, and i got these LP frames from Michael's (its an art store in canada, not sure if they have it in the US). they are designed to hold either 2 LP covers or a cover with the record itself below it. they look awesome.
02:01 PM on 01/05/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I think the product as a whole is still spotty. I checked the Apple forums and it looks like a ton of people have this problem. Frustrating because I go through the problem of converting my .avi files (I'm assuming you can guess where I got those) for TV shows to itunes formats and I still can't watch them on my TV.
Strange. Did you use handbrake?

I use handbrake, select the "apple tv 2" preset. Click convert. And that works.
02:12 PM on 01/05/12
JohnR
User Info.
I know i'm probably in the minority, but I do buy the vast majority of my music. I will use a service like spotify to see if I like it. If I do, I will buy it on iTunes. I don't see anything wrong with friends burning music for each other because that is a major way to find new music. If someone gives me music and I like some of it, I will buy it. There are a few artists who I will always want to physical album for just because, but it will still be transferred into my iTunes and I probably won't use the CD again.

And about compression, for a digital file, I find the ACC files to be better than mp3s. When I use my iPhone as my main music player on the go, I am limited to the amount of space I have. If it could fit all of my music in lossless, I would choose that but it currently isn't possible. I also believe that iTunes should offer lossless music for people that want it. I would definitely pick that. It's not that I don't care about the quality, I do. I have a separate iTunes library, with all of my physical CDs and things I got from bandcamp in lossless just so I never have to re-encode them in the future for whatever reason.

I am really glad to see vinyl making such a resurgence. I wish it never died. The idea of selling a vinyl with a card in it to download the album is perfect. I much rather would have grown up with that than CDs. I would prefer to have built up a vinyl collection than a CD collection over the years. I do buy some vinyls for to collect them or whatever, but I can see myself buying more in the future when I can afford to invest in a nice record player. Also, don't in anyway think i'm preaching about paying or not paying for music. I'm just saying that as a young adult, I do care about quality and am a big advocate of artists getting their fair share.
02:13 PM on 01/05/12
anamericangod
User Info.
What? Are you implying that it's negative that because younger generation doesn't necessarily prefer a physical product to digital? Woah, you there are some rascals on your lawn, too, old man.
I grew up with tapes and then CDs, when I was especially young my dad would play records for me, and I do place value on physical product. However, you can't blame a whole generation for preferring a type of media that has been an industry standard for a decade.
Napster came out in 1999, iTunes and the iPod in 2001. That means if you're sixteen or seventeen, digital music has been around since you started listening to music.
So...what's your point?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests