AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

AP.net Artist Power Rankings (January 6th)

Posted by: Jason Tate (01/06/12)
It's been a strange start to the new year. I spent some time looking over the metrics to see what was popular this last week or so, and it's kind of interesting to see what everyone was reading around the website. For a quick recap, I decided to put together the power rankings of the last week. Basically highlighting the bands that dominated our lives. We'll see how this goes, tongue firmly planted in cheek...

1) Brand New
NoteIf this band is talked about, at all, they blow up the news feed. Their NYE show was basically the catalyst for the insanity. And when the videos hit everyone went nuts. Combine that with the youtube channel news, a poll about if we'll see a new album next year, and it's clear that Brand New won the week. Congratulations.

2) American Nightmare
NoteThey can just thank Ryan Gosling right now. That news post was by and away one of the largest viewed all week. We are a society that loves our celebrities ... and some of our celebrities love hardcore.

3) Punchline
NoteIf you read the website this week, then you probably know the entire Punchline story. Chris threatened to quit if they don't hit #1, was super serious, they released a new song, the album hits itunes, it goes to #1 on the rock charts, they love AP.net so much that they give 37 copies of their album away, and then Steve performs a song on "Mobbed." They dominated the news. If they had only gotten a celebrity to show up at their shows, then they'd be even higher.

4) The Black Keys
NoteThey shit all over Nickelback.

5) Blink 182
NoteOddly my post about the unseen Josie video got a lot of views. And they released the "After Midnight" video which also did quite well..

6) Katy Perry
NoteShe went and got herself divorced. Everyone decided they now had a shot. Celebrities really seem to get a lot of clicks on our website. Probably because we like to look at all the funny gifs. Right?

7) Bring Me the Horizon
NoteThe band said they were going post-rock. Everyone basically laughed. But they laughed a lot, because that thread was really popular.

8) Nickelback
NoteThey got shit on.

9) Myspace
NoteKill your myspace page. Seems enough people agreed with me. Or at least loved talking about it.

10) Every Time I Die
NoteThey released information about their new album and then a teaser. The more you hear about this album, the faster they'll climb a list like this. It's really fucking good.

Ok, that's the week's band/topic power rankings in recap. Thought I'd share what the hell was going on behind the scenes last week, and give you an idea of what's being read, commented on, and talked about.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 41
12:45 PM on 01/06/12
donnyshutup
User Info.
Interesting way to recap the week.

Enjoyed this quite a bit.
12:46 PM on 01/06/12
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
User Info.
This is very cool. Would enjoy more, or have it be a recurring thing.
12:48 PM on 01/06/12
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
not everyone laughed about BMTH going post-rock. as a matter of fact a lot of people are looking forward to see where they go since their last album was pretty good. but hey, make generalizations.
12:49 PM on 01/06/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
not everyone laughed about BMTH going post-rock. as a matter of fact a lot of people are looking forward to see where they go since their last album was pretty good. but hey, make generalizations.
The entire thing was a giant generalization, tongue firmly in cheek ... that was the point.
12:52 PM on 01/06/12
JuneJuly
Allez l'OL
User Info.

lots of this. I hated them before the last album but I think they're actually good now.

On another note, the Punchline thing pisses me off.
12:53 PM on 01/06/12
justinwho
long live RepliesWithGifs
User Info.
i'm still lol'ing at the whole nickelback thing
01:14 PM on 01/06/12
Erik the Orange
What do they know about friends?
User Info.
If this is a weekly article, I'm going to follow it up by making a power rankings of AP staffers for each week. It's happening.
01:15 PM on 01/06/12
Ryan Dennehy
This is kind of interesting to see. It'd be cool to see this every once in a while.\

EDIT: The idea of 'power staffers' is kind of interesting too, mostly because I feel like I've seen Jason post more news recently than I can remember happening in the past.
01:20 PM on 01/06/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
If this is a weekly article, I'm going to follow it up by making a power rankings of AP staffers for each week. It's happening.
Make sure Drew is last.
01:22 PM on 01/06/12
Erik the Orange
What do they know about friends?
User Info.
Make sure Drew is last.
Nassiff will lose points for spamming my news feed bragging about his fantasy basketball skills.
01:24 PM on 01/06/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
This is a damn awesome feature. Pretty sure that the Ryan Gosling thing ended up being fake but okay.
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Nassiff will lose points for spamming my news feed bragging about his fantasy basketball skills.
Don't hate the player.
Jason Tate
User Info.
01:25 PM on 01/06/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
This is a damn awesome feature. Pretty sure that the Ryan Gosling thing ended up being fake but okay.
Don't ruin my fantasy.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums