AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Armor for Sleep- What to Do When You Are Dead Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8.75
Production 9.5
Creativity 9.13
Lasting Value 9.63
Reviewer Tilt 9.13
Average: 89%
Inside AP.net

Armor for Sleep- What to Do When You Are Dead

Reviewed by: t.web4 (01/07/12)
Armor for Sleep- What to Do When You Are Dead
Record Label: Equal Vision Records
Release Date: February 22. 2005

After a successful debut album in Dream to Make Believe, Armor for Sleep decided to create yet another concept album in 2005, What to Do When You Are Dead. The concept of the album is pretty straightforward: the protagonist of the album commits suicide, regrets and reflects on his decision in the afterlife, and visits places in his previous life. Although not much of a progression from the sound on their debut album, What to Do When You Are Dead comes off as an overall better album and is sure to provoke deep thinking from listeners.

The album begins with the hidden pregap, "One Last Regret." In the short introduction, the protagonist is dissatisfied with his life and contemplates suicide, as frontman Ben Jorgensen solemnly sings, "Won't you save me? / I'm gonna die tonight / I swear to God I'm gonna die tonight." With the tone of the album set, the album officially begins with the first single, "Car Underwater." In the song, the protagonist commits suicide by driving a car into a body of water, and while waiting to die he reflects on a past relationship. Musically, the verses slowly progress, and then the listener is hit with a great chorus containing some of the catchiest guitars and lyrics on the album.

The next two songs on the album, "The Truth About Heaven" and "Remember to Feel Real" work well together. The former contains great guitar-work while the lyrics provide a great sense of imagery, and the latter is a heavy-hitter with some of the more depressing lyrics on the album. In "The Truth About Heaven," the protagonist of the album regrets commiting suicide and visits his grave to find out that his girlfriend left a note for him.

The album continues with "Awkward Last Words," where the protagonist wants to live again and start everything over. Musically, the song isn't much different from the first three, but it is overall well-crafted and fits well with the rest of the album. "Stay on the Ground" is one of the edgier songs on the album, as you can hear the raw emotion of Jorgensen's voice. The album then slows down with the keyboard-driven track, "A Quick Little Flight," which is a surprisingly good change of pace. The next track, "The More You Talk the Less I Hear" is decent, but also one of the more forgettable tracks on the album.

The storyline of the album continues in the next three tracks, all in which the protagonist wants to see his girlfriend from his past life and stalks her. In the songs, he visits her basement, follows her walking around at night, and hides behind her staircase. At the same time, the protagonist is regretting his decision and reflecting on her importance to him. The songs "Basement Ghost Singing" and "Walking at Night, Alone" provide the most imagery, likely because the lyrics couldn't be any more straightforward. Both are slower songs that rely on guitars to create a dreamy sound. The two songs also showcase the cohesiveness of the album as the former song flows directly into the latter, creating a nice two song combo. "I Have Been Right All Along" is the other song; unfortunatley it is the other forgettable song on the album.

What to Do When You Are Dead comes to a close with "The End of a Fraud," which is a dreamy song wrapping up the story of the album. The album comes to a close with Jorgensen repeating "Don't believe that the weather is perfect the day that you die," which are lyrics also found in "The Truth About Heaven."

Overall, the album's sound isn't anything new. In fact, much of the album sounds a lot like their debut, Dream to Make Believe. However, the vocals and lyrics are an improvement on What to Do When You Are Dead. The raw sound and emotion of Jorgensen's voice really shine, and the lyrics of the album tell a story and provide detailed imagery. If you only listen to a few songs off the album, you will only appreciate the music at face value. However, if you listen to the the whole album, you will truly be able to appreciate the work of art Armor for Sleep created. If there's one album that I'll remember Armor for Sleep for, it is sure to be What to Do When You Are Dead.

Track Listing1. Car Underwater
2. The Truth About Heaven
3. Remember to Feel Real
4. Awkward Last Words
5. Stay on the Ground
6. A Quick Little Flight
7. The More You Talk the Less I Hear
8. Basement Ghost Singing
9. Walking At Night, Alone
10. I Have Been Right All Along
11. The End of a Fraud

Hidden Track: One Last Regret

Recommended If You Like Armor for Sleep; deep thinking; Dream to Make Believe

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
09:21 AM on 01/15/12
OnaedInSpace
she sucked and sucked and sucked.
User Info.
I would mostly agree with your assertions here, but no way is this album an 88%. The music is not very progressive for the scene and it eventually led to their demise I would say. It has been done to death and certainly done better. Good review none the less!
10:19 AM on 01/15/12
PezMullet
Get ready
User Info.
I'd give it a 100%. Fuck I love this album
10:46 AM on 01/15/12
bite2brkskn12
Registered Member
User Info.
i agree 100% with the review and this is one of favorite albums. It's such a simple record but the idea is cool and this record just stuck with me.
11:44 AM on 01/15/12
ship of fools
hello
User Info.
Can you believe this album is 7 years old? Crazy. Things are so much different since this was released.
02:12 PM on 01/15/12
M.C COB
No one touches the Shaqtus
User Info.
Definitely a good album. I am glad to see that some people are still talking about it.
02:27 PM on 01/15/12
dicktony
Plots//Latecomer//etc.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I remember being hugely disappointed by this album and not really fully understanding why. Sonically, it's more of the same, but something about it just kinda feels off. They always walked a thin line between catchy and outright corny in my mind...Dream to Make Believe just resonated more with me. I'm guessing the timing of the releases had a major part in that.
05:11 PM on 01/15/12
HanLuk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great album, Basement Ghost might be the best pop punk song ever written
07:00 PM on 01/15/12
HarryPotter
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I hated that Basement song. But this band was LEGIT! Miss them. Reviewer reviewed two albums that I found amazing back in the day. I have to assume he's over 24
09:07 PM on 01/15/12
emery3993
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I hated that Basement song. But this band was LEGIT! Miss them. Reviewer reviewed two albums that I found amazing back in the day. I have to assume he's over 24
Why the hate for that song? I always loved that one, and all around really solid album
11:07 PM on 01/15/12
HarryPotter
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Why the hate for that song? I always loved that one, and all around really solid album
something about Basement and End of Fraud irked me. A Quiet Fight and Been Right All along kinda irked me too. Besides those, the album was superb. It's still one of my faves, but I skip those songs ever time.
02:23 AM on 01/16/12
vincent182
User Info.
I'd give it a 100%. Fuck I love this album
This
05:59 AM on 01/16/12
get up kidd
I refuse to sink
User Info.
Still spin this record now and again.
07:56 AM on 01/16/12
emery3993
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
something about Basement and End of Fraud irked me. A Quiet Fight and Been Right All along kinda irked me too. Besides those, the album was superb. It's still one of my faves, but I skip those songs ever time.
haha I guess 7/11 ain't bad
10:17 AM on 01/16/12
HarryPotter
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
haha I guess 7/11 ain't bad

Haha. But those 7 are amahzing! Run Right Back In is one of my favorites of all-time. That one didn't get credit. The lyrics make me want to punch that kid in the face.
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests