Username
Password
Video Games News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Video Games
Inside AP.net

Games Round-Up (01/08/12)

Posted by: Linda Ferreira (01/08/12)
This week's Games Round-Up can be seen in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
06:32 PM on 01/08/12
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
Thanks to Anthony for putting this together:

Games Round-UpHey, hey, hey! Anthony here for another week of the Gamer Round-Up! This week, along with the giving you the news as always, marks the beginning of the new layout! Hopefully you all like it!

TOPIC OF THE WEEK
What is your biggest pet peeve when playing online?

THE WEEK IN GAMING

NINTENDO NEWS

-Everyone's favorite game developer, Shigeru Miyamoto, has announced that he is currently heading up an "original title". While there is currently no word on what that title may be or when it will appear, perhaps details about the game may surface at E3 of the Tokyo Game Show this year. Time will tell I guess.

-After a sluggish start with the 3DS, Nintendo can take a breath of relief. Reports have come out that the handheld has found it's footing in the US, with over four million units sold in the past year.

-After reports last week about the Wii U's tablet controller potentially having apps, a new report has come out that the controller will also serve as an e-reader. The report follows that Nintendo is looking into offering access to a number of digital books, magazines and comics. There is also word that the controller could also have support for game manuals and strategy guides.

MICROSOFT NEWS

-According to reports, a serious issue involving the hacking of Xbox Live accounts and FIFA 12 is on the rise. I strongly encourage any XBL users here to read the article in the link and keep a close eye on your accounts.

-If current rumors are to be true, the next incarnation of the Xbox will debut at this year's E3.

SONY NEWS

-In the midst of reports of poor sales of the handheld after launch, reports are coming out that Japanese retailers are slashing prices for the Vita to boost sales. A circulated image is currently making rounds of a Japanese retailer dropping the price of the handheld by 17%, going from an original price of ¥29,980 ($390) to ¥24,9999 ($325).

-According to reports, it appears the PS3 will be getting a video and photo editing app in the near future. The app was reveled ahead of time by a man with a cell phone at CES, days before the show opens. Expect some sort of official announcement at CES this week.

-PS3 users got the short end of the stick this week when the developer of the highly anticipated downloadable title Amy announced that the game would be $2.99 more then the Xbox 360 version, citing foreign exchange rates and the nature of Microsoft points. Naturally there was an a slew of complaints about this so the developer has put a Facebook poll up to let the people decide if the PS3 version should be $9.99 as well, with the catch that it'll be released a week later.

-For gamers who were patient and didn't buy Gran Turismo 5, you're in luck. Sony has announced recently that they are releasing a new version of the title called Gran Turismo 5 XL, which will include all updates up to Spec 2.0 on the disc, as well as 5 vouchers for DLC. It should hit stores on the 17th this month for a cool $40.

PC NEWS

-According to Best Buy, Diablo 3 would be on your computer sooner then you thought! A display found at a Minnesota Best Buy stated that the long awaited game would be in stores on February 1st. However, Blizzard came by and smack down the rumor, stating that there is still no official release date.

-Along with being one of the best developers out currently, Bioware now has another title to their name: Guinness World Record holders! The company received the honor for "Largest Entertainment Voice Over Project", with a staggering 200,000 line of recorded in-quest dialogue. Congrats Bioware!

-Steam, the ever popular game service, celebrates its seventh anniversary with it's sale growth hitting 100% for seven years straight. Keep up the good work, Valve!

iOS/ANDROID NEWS

-According to reports, it appears Rovio had one awesome Christmas day with Angry Birds. Their massive hit was downloaded a staggering 6.5 million times on Christmas Day alone with both paid and free versions taken in account. Rovio has also announced that new releases are on the way for 2012, hopefully a version of Angry Birds with just the Black Bird and nothing but the Black Bird is one of them. I love that bird so much.

-According to the developer of the incredibly addictive Tiny Tower, the game routinely gets a million people playing the game every day. Not only that, those million people also account for over ten million sessions every day as well. Oh yeah, and keep in that this only the iOS version with the Android version's numbers not included.

-Those wanting to invest in an iPad for gaming reasons are going to get a big break in the future, if reports are correct. Reports are coming out that Apple is currently planning on releasing two new iPads this year and to compete with the recent slew of tablets on the market, Apple is reportedly planning on continuing to sell the current iPad 2 at a cool $299. In other news, this writer is going to start saving his pennies.

GENERAL GAME NEWS

-Neil Tiles, who was the president of the G4 network for past few years, stepped down from running the network on Thursday. NBCUniversal, parent company of the network, has announced his replacement to be former marketing president Adam Stotsky. No word yet on what will happen to the network in light of the change-up but rumors are swirling around that there will be even more episodes of Cops, Campus PD and Cheaters to take place of all those pesky game shows no one likes.

-If you planning on buying a three-day pass to PAX East this year, it looks like you're out of luck. Penny Arcade has announced that three-day passed for the event are officially sold out. Fret not however, as single day passes are still available.

-For some gamers, Shenmue III is the one game that they'd love to play, the game that ends the story of Ryo's quest to avenge his father. Recently, creator Yu Suzuki has expressed an interest in obtaining the Shenmue license from Sega to develop what could be the long-awaited title. It may never happen but there is hope that the game will see the light of day sometime in the future.

And finally, Gary Oldman payed a visit to Conan this past week and during his visit, he recalls his voice-over work for the Call of Duty series. Check out this link for the hilarious clip.

Well that's the week's news for you all! I was going to include a section on sales for XBL and PSN this week, however I felt it was clunky and poorly organized so it sadly got the ax this week. But fear not! The section will see the light of day as soon as I can streamline it to a more presentable level so keep your eyes peeled for the section making it's debut sometime in the future.

Also, be sure to check out the AP Video Game Thread in the Entertainment forum! Continue on the ongoing discussion of gaming in there as well as adding your gamertag to the ever growing lists for XBL and PSN. Everyone is welcome so don't be shy, post to your heart's content!

Well that's it for this week, hope you enjoyed the round up this week and I'll see you all next week for another edition of the Gamer Round-Up!
Contributor: anthonydarko
06:54 PM on 01/08/12
marchofmarty
SPINE, THIGH, AND BREAST
User Info.
Blizzard dropped the ball pretty badly by planning on having their first ever world wide release coincide with their real money auction house. Now the entire world must wait while South Korean authorities sort things out. If it wasn't for their dedication to a world wide release or the RMAH the game would either be out by now or coming out sometime this month. What a shame.
06:59 PM on 01/08/12
thesinkingship
this boat is obviously sinking
User Info.
The rumors concerning the Wii U are making me increasingly optimistic about it. If the controller turns out to be as versatile as its potential, then I think Nintendo will have a great selling point.

Disappointed about the AMY news for PS3, though $3 isn't really a deal breaker to me.

The FIFA hack is kinda lol.
07:04 PM on 01/08/12
Sherry116
Regret Is A Beginning
User Info.
I'd be down for seeing the new Xbox at E3.
07:10 PM on 01/08/12
heyjoshua
No More
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The rumors concerning the Wii U are making me increasingly optimistic about it. If the controller turns out to be as versatile as its potential, then I think Nintendo will have a great selling point.

Disappointed about the AMY news for PS3, though $3 isn't really a deal breaker to me.

The FIFA hack is kinda lol.
I just hope that the controller itself won't be over $100, though i've heard rumors that the Wii U may only be able to use 1 tablet controller per console, that said i'm still looking forward to the final product they'll be showing at E3.
07:12 PM on 01/08/12
thesinkingship
this boat is obviously sinking
User Info.
I just hope that the controller itself won't be over $100, though i've heard rumors that the Wii U may only be able to use 1 tablet controller per console, that said i'm still looking forward to the final product they'll be showing at E3.
It's been said that Nintendo is looking into making 3DS compatible as controllers for the console.
07:15 PM on 01/08/12
heyjoshua
No More
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's been said that Nintendo is looking into making 3DS compatible as controllers for the console.
Would the 3DS be able to run a Wii U game? I know you can play Wii U games on the tablet controller from a close enough distance.
07:18 PM on 01/08/12
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
It's not impossible, you could use the Gameboy Advance with the Gamecube as a controller.
07:19 PM on 01/08/12
mkohler
Get Myself Together
User Info.
Shenmue...

and the Amy thing with the PS3 is pretty shitty.
07:30 PM on 01/08/12
deezee
geekrevolt.com
User Info.
I'm ready for new consoles. Especially after playing around with the PSV, hopefully Sony adds a few of it's features to the PS4.
07:44 PM on 01/08/12
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
I hope I don't get hacked haha
08:32 PM on 01/08/12
Asthenia-182
But it doesn't bother me at all...
User Info.
New Xbox link goes to Gary Oldman page for me.
08:36 PM on 01/08/12
Spencer Control
Yeah I still burn from time to time
User Info.
Digging the new interface. Thanks for the roundup.
08:46 PM on 01/08/12
stonecoldfox
You can't afford to live like this
User Info.
In even more interesting Shigeru Miyamoto news, I just found out that he plans on remastering A Link to the Past for the 3ds. I don't think I need to say anything other than that.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests