Password

Album Review
Powerspace - The Kicks of Passion Album Cover

Powerspace - The Kicks of Passion

Reviewed by
Powerspace - The Kicks Of Passion
Release Date: July 31st, 2007
Record Label: Fueled By Ramen Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
It's always a big deal when Fueled By Ramen releases a new album, regardless who the band is. Their newest signee Powerspace was no exception. After their release of Houston, We Have A Party, the buzz started and many (including myself) claimed they could be the next big thing, which has become quite the popular statement amongst Fueled By Ramen bands. However, after finally listening to The Kicks Of Passion, that statement is something that I take back.

Okay, so what was so good about Houston, We Have A Party that made it one of your favorite EP's of 2006? Well, it had a ton of energy and hooks that caught my attention and never let go. The problem with The Kicks Of Passion is that it is the exact opposite, that's what let me down the most.

The album starts off with "Prologue: Adam Beckett," a track that was previously released on Houston, We Have A Party. Along with re-recording "Prologue," they also decided to re-record their entire EP for The Kicks Of Passion. When I first found this out, I was beyond excited because normally I'm a fan of re-recordings and alternate versions of songs. It turns out that instead of possibly making the songs better, they've slowed the songs down. They took out all the energy that made me fall in love with the songs in the first place. But what am I complaining for? I'll just replace them with the EP versions in my playlist. Another track, which is my favorite out of the bunch, is "Quarantine My Heart (Baby)." "Quarantine My Heart (Baby)" along with "Dancing In The Future" and "Be Aggressive" are the three songs that are the most energetic out of them all. Those were the kind of songs that I wish The Kicks Of Passion were made up of more. Lack of energy isn't my only problem with The Kicks Of Passion though. The vocals are flat most of the time and I felt that there were a lot of missed chances. There were times where the band could have done something "big" but just came up empty. The songs ended up going no where.

I wouldn't call this record "bad," but it certainly did not live up to my expectations. The Kicks Of Passion may not be something I'll play in its entirety, but I'll still be playing select songs from the album often. If you're expecting part 2 of Houston, We Have A Party, it isn't something you're going to get. Despite its multiple flaws, if you weren't a fan of their EP, this could be something that you enjoy.

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01. Prologue: Adam Beckett
02. Quarantine My Heart (Baby)
03. Powerspace Snap Bracelet
04. Right On, Right Now
05. Amplifire
06. Be Aggressive
07. This Is Not What You Had Planned
08. Dancing In The Future
09. Choose Your Own Adventure
10. It Smells Like Electricity In Here
11. I Met My Best Friend In Prague
12. Sleep, Everyone...

Myspace
Order The Album

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 47
06:41 PM on 08/07/07
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
if this is true, then I take back my statement of them achieving PATD-level status
07:22 PM on 08/07/07
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
Quote:
they've slowed the songs down.

Seriously. That was my EXACT problem with some of the songs.
07:33 PM on 08/07/07
The Old Black
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
dissapointing is the only word I can think of for this album.
07:47 PM on 08/07/07
ESundy36
GO FRIARS!
User Info.
This review is spot on. That slowing of the EP songs made this album kind of blah for me when I had high hopes for it.
08:11 PM on 08/07/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
This band wasn't very good to start off with. And this, I'm not going to approach.
08:23 PM on 08/07/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
This album sucks fuzzy goat wang.

1 song is really good, a few are just boring, and the rest of purely unlistenable. What a disappointment.
04:07 AM on 08/08/07
mr chainsaw
lets all go to the magician's b-day
User Info.
these young bands need to spend more time writing quality songs and crafting a complete album, not an album that will just cash in on the current trends
04:39 AM on 08/08/07
koala72
User Info.
Spot on, most of the songs are pretty boring. Be agressive is my favourite.

But theres something about the vocals, they just annoy me at times. I dont know why. r
08:56 AM on 08/08/07
johnathanberard
User Info.
"Right On, Right Now" was my jam. The new version has no moxie whatsoever. I'm pretty bummed.
09:02 AM on 08/08/07
MountainJam2113
User Info.
these young bands need to spend more time writing quality songs and crafting a complete album, not an album that will just cash in on the current trends

totally agree.
09:05 AM on 08/08/07
hijenna
User Info.
i actually just saw them recently on tour with kill hannah and hawthorne heights. i wasnt impressed by their stage presence, but "right on, right now" hooked me. it's catchy.
09:07 AM on 08/08/07
toximate
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
unoriginal crap
09:18 AM on 08/08/07
probablymonday
joggersruninmyfamily
User Info.
good review. i feel the same way. the upbeat songs on the ep got me into powerspace. slowing them down just makes them drag and drag and drag.
09:20 AM on 08/08/07
JerrysKid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
mostly agree....be agressive is the joint though!!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos