AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 3 posts.
09:48 AM on 01/11/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I trust people, not publications. I know the writers whose taste I align with - and I'll follow their recommendations and reviews and thoughts on music.

BrandWebsiteX saying something is good means nothing to me.

Joe Smith who has a similar taste as me, I will follow and care about.

Those people help tune in the signal through the noise.
10:48 AM on 01/11/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
What do you mean? You don't think that there's at least a couple websites out there that are going to give you good editorial consideration in exchange for placing an advertisement or handing over an exclusive announcement? If you don't think this happens, then let me know where that naive rock is that you're hiding under. I do public relations and marketing - I know this happens. Publications have approached me about things like this before. Not major publications, and not reputable ones, and that's clearly for a reason - but to think this doesn't happen is much more mindblowing than me just saying it happens.
Well, didn't we recently find out that basically press embargoes for an entire band were negotiated for a cover story on a "real" publication?
02:01 PM on 01/14/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Its my opinion, alot of the reviews in this music scene and even mainstream depending on who's giving it are biased, either because the reviewer is a huge fan of that genre, hates the genre, or getting perks from the label. Few critics are honest. In my opinion, I hate Under The Gun reviews, they always score hardcore bands high and so does AltPress. Then APnet hates on the post-hardcore/scene stuff.
How is it not honest if someone is a likes a genre? If you know they like that genre, then it's still honest.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests