AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 6 posts
09:49 AM on 01/11/12
Ryan Dennehy
"then downloading their record on Limewire just because of the review"

Am I a thousand years old? That's what it feels like. Also, am I crazy? You can remember an instance of your reading something and then DOWNLOADING A RECORD WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT. Am I crazy?

Also, no, critics never mattered. It's one of the few fields where you get to talk like you're an expert about things you know absolutely nothing about from an outsiders point of view while resting on the laurels of "being cool".

They're the original "bloggers" - and I mean that in the worst possible way.

Based on your post, I'd say you're doing this exact same thing.
09:51 AM on 01/11/12
Ryan Dennehy
On the macro scale, critics and their reviews obviously don't matter to large level record sales. I don't think there was much crossover between Pitchfork or RS top 10 and top 10 in albums sales. I may be wrong here but I can't check on mobile.

Dunno if you can see it from mobile, but in the comments of the article someone linked to a blogpost listing Pitchforks top 50 album sales. Kind of interesting. http://perpetua.tumblr.com/post/1487...p-50-albums-of
12:00 PM on 01/11/12
Ryan Dennehy
... My day-time gig is essentially reviewing things. A decent chunk of my friends are music journalists, so I know them and the way most of them think. None of them have ever been in bands or actually independently championed things purely based on love.

Well, yes, I sorta am one, so...well spotted mate.

We really do not matter. 99% of critics are failed people who attach themselves to things. Leeches.
Please, tell me more. What do you review, where are they published, and who are your friends. I would love to read these so I can find out what a leeches review sounds like.
12:13 PM on 01/11/12
Ryan Dennehy
For me, it varies by website. I know the name of each reviewer here at AP, but I couldn't tell you the name of any at Pitchfork, and maybe a few at AVClub. Pitchforks definitely a brand in my eyes.

That said, I usually only read reviews here if I haven't heard the band and know I have similar taste to the reviewer. Reviews are mostly a guide, like other people have said, or maybe ancillary information for what I got from the music. Rarely do I find a review reversing my own view.
02:11 PM on 01/11/12
Ryan Dennehy
Musical equipment. Most current magazines in the field. People from most paper magazines based in the UK as well as some popular internet-based things. It's all about what you can get and sustaining your popularity without actually having any genuine knowledge about what it is that you are talking about.
So you bullshit in your reviews about technical things? You don't know what you're talking about but you're reviewing objective, measurable things from equipment? Not only does that make you an awful person, it makes any magazine who publishes your reviews less reputable, but it's also completely different from reviewing subjective pieces of art.
02:19 PM on 01/11/12
Ryan Dennehy
Back up.
I do not review music - I review equipment. I love equipment because I love making music. I love making music because I love listening to music.

I am not a music journalist, so what you said at the end goes without saying. You really didn't get the gist of my original comment.

Geeking out over equipment using pen and paper is as far away from music as I get. I spend all my waking time engrossing myself in it.
You said that reviewers are leeches who don't know what they're talking about, and it's "all about" sustaining popularity and not knowing what you're talking about.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos