Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 7 posts
10:39 AM on 01/11/12
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
Album reviews have become less of a determinant and more of an advertising tool. There is so much music out there that music reviewers are more tour guides of a scene rather than judges.
10:48 AM on 01/11/12
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
Free is the word, :) *chuckles*.
I think the poster is over 15 and is therefore actually talking about actual product. You get a free record, well in advance.
This makes no sense.
10:57 AM on 01/11/12
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
I think in the general sense, critics and gatekeepers are more important than ever. With thousands of releases every year, I think it's still important for people to be able to narrow down what to listen to, and I'm not sure that peer recommendations can fill that need completely, at least for me personally.
I totally agree. It goes along with my idea of reviewers as tour guides rather than judges.
10:59 AM on 01/11/12
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
Thanks, really interesting. I just skimmed it, but other than Bon Iver there really werent any huge sellers.
Drake? Fleet Foxes? Jay-Z/Kanye West? Panda Bear?
12:09 PM on 01/11/12
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
Thanks. Like I clearly said, I was on my phone and I just skimmed it. Appreciate you pointing out the other big sellers.

let's be real though, Drake, The Throne, and Fleet Foxes were gonna sell a ton of records regardless of what Pitchfork or any publication had to say about those records. haha

I agree with you on Drake and The Throne. Fleet Foxes though...they sell a lot now, but how did they get to this point? I'd argue: with help from sites like Pitchfork.
12:29 PM on 01/11/12
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
With music? Hell no, what makes music good is completely subjective. Now video game reviews matter somewhat. I'm not just saying that because I review games for a living, but a bad game is unplayable. The controls feel stiff, it's filled with glitches, etc. No one would give Superman 64 a high rating, it's obviously broken.

But a terrible band like *insert shitty scene band* could get a 9/10 from a reviewer. Is that reviewer wrong? No, because obviously they like that kind of music. Another example is this, you can hand someone the most critically acclaimed hip-hop album of the year, and they could think it's terrible because they only like country music.

It's easier to rate something that's interactive.

When I review albums, I base my reviews on 6 criteria: Lyrics, Musicianship, Originality, Production, Tilt, and Vocals. I take my "personal preference" into account via the Tilt criteria. So, even if I like a band just because, that is only 1/6 of how an album will be judged. There is always going to be a degree of subjectivity in any review though...even in your video game reviews. Wouldn't you agree?

That sort of applies to every artist though. If there weren't any reviews, interviews, concert reviews etc., they wouldn't gain popularity at such a fast pace. Even Drake and Kanye weren't "legends" from the start.

One word: Degrassi

Or, you know, being arguably the best folk band performing today.

By the way, it isn't cool just to rip on Pitchfork.

Wha?
01:49 PM on 01/11/12
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
Yeah, I see where you're coming from. But still I think it's harder to judge those things, like what makes lyrics good? Idk, I get what you're saying though.
what makes a book good?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version