AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
General Announcement News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 152.
09:51 AM on 01/11/12
Ryan Dennehy
On the macro scale, critics and their reviews obviously don't matter to large level record sales. I don't think there was much crossover between Pitchfork or RS top 10 and top 10 in albums sales. I may be wrong here but I can't check on mobile.

Dunno if you can see it from mobile, but in the comments of the article someone linked to a blogpost listing Pitchforks top 50 album sales. Kind of interesting. http://perpetua.tumblr.com/post/1487...p-50-albums-of
09:52 AM on 01/11/12
AShannon04
http://drewshannon.net
User Info.
I think in the general sense, critics and gatekeepers are more important than ever. With thousands of releases every year, I think it's still important for people to be able to narrow down what to listen to, and I'm not sure that peer recommendations can fill that need completely, at least for me personally.
09:54 AM on 01/11/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
"then downloading their record on Limewire just because of the review"

Am I a thousand years old? That's what it feels like. Also, am I crazy? You can remember an instance of your reading something and then DOWNLOADING A RECORD WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT. Am I crazy?

Also, no, critics never mattered. It's one of the few fields where you get to talk like you're an expert about things you know absolutely nothing about from an outsiders point of view while resting on the laurels of "being cool".

They're the original "bloggers" - and I mean that in the worst possible way.

Well, no. Just no.
09:57 AM on 01/11/12
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
I think in the general sense, critics and gatekeepers are more important than ever. With thousands of releases every year, I think it's still important for people to be able to narrow down what to listen to, and I'm not sure that peer recommendations can fill that need completely, at least for me personally.
I totally agree. It goes along with my idea of reviewers as tour guides rather than judges.
JoeSledger
Registered Member
User Info.
Paid in what sense? We do it for free

I mean write reviews and receive free music in return. I'd write a good review for a label so they can keep sending me press copies of my favorite artists. Its a reviewer's perk for sure.
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Dunno if you can see it from mobile, but in the comments of the article someone linked to a blogpost listing Pitchforks top 50 album sales. Kind of interesting. http://perpetua.tumblr.com/post/1487...p-50-albums-of

Thanks, really interesting. I just skimmed it, but other than Bon Iver there really werent any huge sellers.
09:59 AM on 01/11/12
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
Thanks, really interesting. I just skimmed it, but other than Bon Iver there really werent any huge sellers.
Drake? Fleet Foxes? Jay-Z/Kanye West? Panda Bear?
10:00 AM on 01/11/12
Mibabalou
Desolate Earth :: The End Is Here
User Info.
I dont care at all what a reviewer says. If Im curious about a new band or something ill check it out and see how I feel about it.
10:00 AM on 01/11/12
AShannon04
http://drewshannon.net
User Info.
Here's what Ian Rogers (CEO of Topspin) says about publishers and "trusted sources". These don't necessarily have to be paid full-time critics, per se, but it's something interesting to think about:

Originally Posted by hypebot.com
But while content with exceptionally broad appeal may find a quick viral spike, there’s a difficult road for something more sublimely enjoyable, a piece of music which takes a nudge from a friend and a couple of listens to appreciate the depth and begin enjoying (my favorite kind). For those we need trusted sources, and I believe those trusted sources become increasingly important and influential as our number of options increases. In this way it feels as if those formerly thought of as critics or filters might become the true “publishers”, the ones who connect content with audience.
10:12 AM on 01/11/12
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
I mean write reviews and receive free music in return. I'd write a good review for a label so they can keep sending me press copies of my favorite artists. Its a reviewer's perk for sure.
Wait, is this serious? Goodbye integrity, hello free records.
10:13 AM on 01/11/12
cholly
User Info.
If certain reviewers or critics give an album a favorable review, I'll buy it without ever having listened to it before. It has to be someone who hasn't steered me wrong in the past though.
10:13 AM on 01/11/12
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
I don't feel that the fact that you are a reviewer gives you any importance/clout at all. There are plenty of shitty reviewers out there. I feel like if you are a part of a good staff on a good site, and can write reviews that will make kids want to go out and see/listen to the band, than that matters, as you are helping the bands out. If you make your reviews more about yourself and your experience listening than the band and the music, that's the living worst.

I have a feeling this will be a good discussion.
10:15 AM on 01/11/12
punchedbyagirl
blaremagazine.com // Josh
User Info.
I trust people, not publications. I know the writers whose taste I align with - and I'll follow their recommendations and reviews and thoughts on music.

BrandWebsiteX saying something is good means nothing to me.

Joe Smith who has a similar taste as me, I will follow and care about.

Those people help tune in the signal through the noise.
I definitely agree with this; the writer plays a huge part. You sorta get that connection with one and take in any of their recommendations because you can relate to their taste.

With downloading and leaks though, I think reviews don't sway anyone's perspective as much as they used to. Back in the day, magazines and credible websites printed reviews of albums in advance and their words were more or less anything you'd get out of an album before it was released. Like Drew's reviews on +44 and The Hush Sound's Like Vines really got me into those records when they came out because I didn't know anything about it. Now, it's just not the same because everyone wants to be a critic.
10:16 AM on 01/11/12
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
User Info.
As much as I'm sure everyone on this site actively seeks out new music to find. But the reviews and articles that are put into print still make a big difference I think. You wouldn't see most of the guitar bands that make it big in the UK do so if it wasn't for the backing and positive reviews of one of if not all NME, Q, Kerrang or Rock Sound.
10:17 AM on 01/11/12
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Drake? Fleet Foxes? Jay-Z/Kanye West? Panda Bear?
Thanks. Like I clearly said, I was on my phone and I just skimmed it. Appreciate you pointing out the other big sellers.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests