Username
Password
General Announcement News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 152.
10:18 AM on 01/11/12
JoeSledger
Registered Member
User Info.
Wait, is this serious? Goodbye integrity, hello free records.

That's a lot of websites & magazines. Trust that. Too many high scores. Biased on specific genres. Low integrity all around.
10:18 AM on 01/11/12
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
I mean write reviews and receive free music in return. I'd write a good review for a label so they can keep sending me press copies of my favorite artists. Its a reviewer's perk for sure.
I wouldn't. We don't
10:22 AM on 01/11/12
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
That's a lot of websites & magazines. Trust that. Too many high scores. Biased on specific genres. Low integrity all around.
Then separate yourself from the pack. Giving bands undeserved favorable press in exchange for more free music is disgraceful.
10:22 AM on 01/11/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I trust people, not publications. I know the writers whose taste I align with - and I'll follow their recommendations and reviews and thoughts on music.

BrandWebsiteX saying something is good means nothing to me.

Joe Smith who has a similar taste as me, I will follow and care about.

Those people help tune in the signal through the noise.
I agree with this - when I read other sites or mags, I look at who reviewed it first. You sort of develop a a bit of a "relationship" with a reviewer, to some extent. When I first started reading AP.net, I would read Greg Robson and Chris Fallon because I know they led me to good places.
10:23 AM on 01/11/12
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I mean write reviews and receive free music in return. I'd write a good review for a label so they can keep sending me press copies of my favorite artists. Its a reviewer's perk for sure.
THEN DO NOT BECOME AN ALBUM REVIEWER, PLEASE!
10:23 AM on 01/11/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
you're probably gonna go to jail now for downloading that album on limewire!
10:24 AM on 01/11/12
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Then separate yourself from the pack. Giving bands undeserved favorable press in exchange for more free music is disgraceful.
He doesn't know what he's talking about. For a magazine or site, maybe certain ones are more likely to give high praise to a band that gives them exclusive content or advertises with them. If you're any level of a real publication, you're not worried about getting the advance copy of the next record - because you get every advance record.
10:26 AM on 01/11/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
Drake? Fleet Foxes? Jay-Z/Kanye West? Panda Bear?

let's be real though, Drake, The Throne, and Fleet Foxes were gonna sell a ton of records regardless of what Pitchfork or any publication had to say about those records. haha
10:27 AM on 01/11/12
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
you're probably gonna go to jail now for downloading that album on limewire!
Is this not an accurate description of what ONE friend says right before a two-hour Limewire marathon back in the day: "Dude, my mom's aunt's cousin totally had to pay TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS for all the music she downloaded! The FBI came to her house!"
Drew Beringer
User Info.
"then downloading their record on Limewire just because of the review"

Am I a thousand years old? That's what it feels like. Also, am I crazy? You can remember an instance of your reading something and then DOWNLOADING A RECORD WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT. Am I crazy?

Also, no, critics never mattered. It's one of the few fields where you get to talk like you're an expert about things you know absolutely nothing about from an outsiders point of view while resting on the laurels of "being cool".

They're the original "bloggers" - and I mean that in the worst possible way.
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
He doesn't know what he's talking about. For a magazine or site, maybe certain ones are more likely to give high praise to a band that gives them exclusive content or advertises with them. If you're any level of a real publication, you're not worried about getting the advance copy of the next record - because you get every advance record.
I am rarely shocked by things I read on the internet anymore, but this is just mind-blowing.
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
As much as I'm sure everyone on this site actively seeks out new music to find. But the reviews and articles that are put into print still make a big difference I think. You wouldn't see most of the guitar bands that make it big in the UK do so if it wasn't for the backing and positive reviews of one of if not all NME, Q, Kerrang or Rock Sound.
Will be interesting to see how that changes when print magazines are gone in like 5 years.
10:28 AM on 01/11/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
I definitely agree with this; the writer plays a huge part. You sorta get that connection with one and take in any of their recommendations because you can relate to their taste.

With downloading and leaks though, I think reviews don't sway anyone's perspective as much as they used to. Back in the day, magazines and credible websites printed reviews of albums in advance and their words were more or less anything you'd get out of an album before it was released. Like Drew's reviews on +44 and The Hush Sound's Like Vines really got me into those records when they came out because I didn't know anything about it. Now, it's just not the same because everyone wants to be a critic.
fuck yeah Like Vines, shit rules RIP
10:28 AM on 01/11/12
harveyn590
User Info.
Best new music on pitchfok will give you a career. Just ask The Weeknd
10:29 AM on 01/11/12
TimMcGreevy
SaveMyWishes
User Info.
The review for Under Soil and Dirt (and the comments) were what made me check the band out and I love them now. I often find that happening.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests