AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Our Life Story - I'd Rather Change Than Stay... Album Cover

The Our Life Story - I'd Rather Change Than Stay...

Reviewed by
Our Life Story - I'd Rather Change Than Stay The Same
Record Label: Barrett Records
Release Date: May 19, 2011

Following the same path of acts such as Fireworks and Title Fight, Our Life Story is contemporary pop-punk to the core. Forming in 2009, the Minnesota pop-punk rockers have toured extensively, built a loyal fan-base and built a name for themselves through their simple yet passionate execution of blending pop-punk melodies with hardcore influences. This is evident on the groups debut release through Barrett Records, Shorelines. Their most recent release, I'd Rather Change Than Stay The Same, traverses down the same path as their debut

The thing that differs between I'd Rather Change Than Stay The Same and Shorelines is that in between releases, the group became more mature, as any band does. The band got better at playing their instruments, the vocalist sounds more confident in his voice and the band all around became a more tighter group of musicians. The production on I'd Rather Change Than Stay The Same is far cleaner than that on Shorelines, though it still contains the gritty hardcore beats. As you might have already figured out, I'd Rather Change Than Stay The Same is a step up from their debut.

One only needs to listen to opener "Growing Pains" to see how much the group has grown. Subject matters of growing up, love and being happy are introduced in the opening track as well and these themes run rampant throughout the rest of the album. "My Side Of Town" probably has the most catchy chorus on the album, while "Suffering In Solitude" begins fast paced and ends with ballad-esque guitar riffs. "Over Thinking" closes the album with a bang, with the lead-vocalist belting out thoughtful lines over powerful gang chants.

This record isn't the most original release by any means, but the band realized they don't have to reconstruct the foundation on which the genre was founded on to be successful. They only need to play music that is meaningful to them and with I'd Rather Change Than Stay The Same, that's exactly what we get. If you love contemporary pop-punk and want to hear it done right, pick up a copy of this release. And keep your ears open for what the band has next.

Recommended If You LikeTransit; Title Fight; Fireworks; The Wonder Years
This review is a user submitted review from CoopDawg. You can see all of CoopDawg's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version