AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Motopony - Motopony Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8.75
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Motopony - Motopony

Reviewed by: sublime_theory (01/12/12)
Motopony - Motopony
Record Label: tinyOGRE Entertainment
Release Date: May 23, 2011

Motopony: To be honest, while listening to this album, I was just as intent on figuring out the pronunciation of the band’s name as listening to their newest release - Motopony… Does it rhyme with autonomy or is it some northwestern hipster way of referencing a motorized pony? I still haven’t decided. One thing that is for sure is the skill that these gentlemen bring to the table. From start to finish, this album is engaging and demonstrates a refreshing level of calm maturity. This sense of composure could be linked to the band’s frontman, Daniel Blue who was not active in the music arena until the age of 27 when he began playing guitar and writing solemn tunes. There is a clear sense that this album serves as a means of therapy for Daniel as he wrestles with the questions of life and is eventually left with the final track, “Euphoria” where he simply states his carnal desire, “I wanna feel good too.”

This Seattle/Tacoma WA group kicks off the album with “June”. A tune which does all it can to showcase the bands genre-blending approach. The dichotomy between acoustic and electronic instruments is borderline comical when you think about it. But that’s the thing, you won’t think about it. Somehow, the track, like most of the album, comes across as unified and intentional. The subsequent track, “King of Diamonds” is the closest thing to a radio single on the album with a gently driven tempo, rich guitars and harmonic, xylophone-esque tones. Like the track title indicates, the lyrics address relationships in terms of a deck of cards. The next two tracks also combine various music styles. “Seer” and “I Am My Body” are both catchy, toe-tap worthy tunes about morality and mortality.

Vetiver serves as a dividing point, the album shifts focus and settles with sounds more comfortably associated with folk rock. “Intro” and “God Damn Girl” seem to fuse into a 10 minute look at two very different relationships with a woman while “Wake Up” is a more philosophical look at our perception of reality – “What if I discovered what I never thought to see? What if I’m still just asleep?”

Listening to Motopony, I was struck with how concise the instrumentation is on the album. No frills, the drumming is rhythmically straightforward, not to say simple but never superfluous, the instruments and vocals experience their share of effects but all the while, you know that this was a sound that sought after. There is something to be said for displaying talent, but it’s just as noteworthy when a band realizes that the sound they are striving for might not require that display. This is the case with Motopony. A solid freshman release which shows much promise for the future.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests