AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
The Sequence - Simplify Album Cover

The Sequence - Simplify

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The SequenceSimplify
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: August 28, 2007

Who?

You might remember The Sequence from a previous Self-Promotion Spotlight here on AP. And maybe you’ve been wondering if we can judge these bands with just a few Myspace songs and some hyper posts from their respective friends and family. In the case of The Sequence, however, everything written about these guys is true.

How Is It?

Ambitious and dynamic, for starters. Simplify doesn’t sound like the everyday, no-name-band debut release. The emo/pop-punk throughout plays by the restricting rules of mainstream music without giving up its soul. Sure, there are expected, windows-down pop hits like “California” and “The Secrets No One Knows,” but there are also thoughtful and piano-laden ballads like “Whisper.” Just when The Sequence appears to be one-dimensional, another modern day campfire song comes through (“Fail With Open Arms”). Trust us, we aren’t pulling these bands out of a (flat-brimmed) hat. The Sequence hardly needed any of these nudges, and you would have heard about them regardless.

Recommended If You Like: Just Surrender, Cartel, stepping stones, Sherwood, cheat guides, The All American Rejects

I only wear New Erawww.myspace.com/thesequencerock

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
04:24 PM on 08/10/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
I want to hear this..
04:26 PM on 08/10/07
Risk The Fall
Risk The Fall
User Info.
good stuff.
10:37 PM on 08/10/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Haha, I was just writing a review for this today...guess I need not anymore!
10:41 PM on 08/10/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Some points I would touch on:

1) I think the vocals on the record are the strongest component, and would give them a higher score than the music.

2) The ballads here all sound kind of forced, and the song with the dance beat is kind of cringe-worthy to me.

3) Nevertheless, songs like "California" and "Long Distance" are the types of tracks lesser bands spend a lifetime trying to write. These tunes are better than 99% of what is currently on the radio.

4) In the RIYL, I would have All American Rejects and The Starting Line instead of JS and Sherwood.

still <3s though.
10:54 PM on 08/10/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
good input, steverino. Something about the ballads caught my ear, though. I'm actually going to edit into this the AAR comment, thats a good comparison.

07:28 AM on 08/11/07
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
3) Nevertheless, songs like &quot;California&quot; and &quot;Long Distance&quot; are the types of tracks lesser bands spend a lifetime trying to write. These tunes are better than 99% of what is currently on the radio.
I definitely agree. This band has written songs that are just so good and it doesn't make sense that a band this young could make music like this.
09:42 AM on 08/11/07
mo0ink
____
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great band, awesome guys, awesome cd, and awesome artwork ;)
09:49 AM on 08/11/07
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
Great review. I should check this out. Also, I suggest renaming the tophat smiley to "Blake."
10:24 AM on 08/11/07
Pat Brown
Suck me, beautiful!
User Info.
I love the songs like California and The Secret and Settting The Best Example, not so much the slow ones, but I'm not really into those kinds anyway. I've been following the making of this cd for a while now and I'm excited to see its final product.
10:28 AM on 08/11/07
Pat Brown
Suck me, beautiful!
User Info.
My bad I guess now they're called Out Here In California and Secrets.
08:37 PM on 08/11/07
theshareef
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nifty stuff. Props to the producer, wowza. I'm sure the dude has an amazing voice, but the way he layered everything and beefed up the vox with the doulbe/triple tracking and harmonies and all that good stuff makes for a poifect poppunky sound. It's more than radio ready and they're not signed to no big lable.
09:16 AM on 08/27/07
Facepeeler
User Info.
I just bought the CD on Itunes. Good stuff but kinda short. Only 9 tracks introduction (entourage) apart. The singer is impressive. They really deserve some support and as said in the review many bands would die to write a single song as good as those from this record
10:24 PM on 09/10/07
huckleberry
Play Ultimate!
User Info.
i really need to get my hands on this album
02:22 PM on 01/24/08
parothead310
User Info.
Such a good singer.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates