AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Arrange - Five Years With The Sun EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.75
Production 9.25
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Arrange - Five Years With The Sun EP

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (01/16/12)
ArrangeFive Years With The Sun EP
Record Label: JUKBOXR
Release Date: January 17, 2012

Maybe this is the dumbest way to start a review (and I have had some VERY dumb review introductions), but it’s sort of hard for me to talk about Arrange. When I stumbled upon songs like “Staring at the Ceiling,” “Marker Smell” and “Twelve Posters” last spring, it was at a time when everything around me seemed to haze in and out, much in the same way Malcom Lacey’s aqueous electronics and static-drenched vocals leave us wondering if what we’re hearing is what everyone else is hearing. This sort of vague, take-what-you-want bedroom electronica perhaps works well because it doesn’t so much hold our hand as it does dimly illuminate a few different paths. That doesn’t mean I believe that songs like “Streams / At Night” or “Two Garden Children,” two of Arrange’s most thought-out and crafted songs yet, are lazy in their construction. Giving us some freedom isn’t a cop-out; it’s a chance to form a relationship.

So ok, that went well(-ish). Maybe I can write about this stuff. I just meant to say that Five Years With The Sun still somehow inspired within me the same awe and wonder I first felt with Arrange. As a musical meathead, it did take some restraint to sit and let this album’s instrumental atmospheres (“Mt. Rainier,” “Airplane Notes” and the sexified 80s vibing of “Sun Showers”) nuzzle into my brain. See, Letting Lacey’s songs wash over you is kind of incorrect, despite the smoothness of the synths and the soothing nature of Lacey’s high-pitched moan. On some albums these wordless odes to foggy mornings and deep thinking would be cast aside as interludes, but on Five Years With The Sun they do more than connect us to the meatier songs. Here it’s almost like some sort of 7-act play, where the climactic peaks can only be truly strong when buoyed by their ambient cohorts. So what we get is not just diversity, but complexity.

On “Gone with the Snow,” heavy bass drum kicks are set directly against lighthearted, high-reaching synths. Then there’s the vocals, treated without irony to sound as if they are being delivered at the very moment a person is drowning (or something). And if all of that sounds a bit much, well, I understand. In Lacey’s hands, however, and in a way not completely different than what Bon Iver did with the auto-tuned “Woods” or 80’s experiment “Beth / Rest,” a sort of out-of-left-field chance is not only taken but executed with extreme sincerity. This seems to be the thing I say about every bedroom auteur, but Lacey’s greatest strength will always be his personality. We listen to these one-man dream-pop bands because they all at once offer us something we can relate to as well as autobiographies-through-synthesizer. Lacey perhaps understands these two goals better than most, which could be why his attraction to letting songs fade-in and out of complete comprehension makes us that much more likely to dive in. Rather than remove us from the action, it asks us to write the scene. At its basest, and despite being the work of a sole human, Five Years With The Sun has but one simple takeaway: we're all in this together.

Recommended If You Like: Youth Lagoon, Foxes in Fiction, The Field, M83

New chapterwww.absolutepunk.net/arrange

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
10:08 PM on 01/16/12
Wake Up
█▓▒░░
User Info.
<3 love u boo

oh hey. you guys can stream it here:

http://soundcloud.com/malcomlacey/se...-with-the-sun/
10:11 PM on 01/16/12
loganmmm
Twelve Year Old, Preteen Mess.
User Info.
I'm still listening to Plantation a whole lot. I can't wait to hear this new EP!
11:06 PM on 01/16/12
HometownHero
User Info.
01:03 AM on 01/17/12
DJWildefire
On the verge of breathtaking
User Info.
Great review, I'm gonna try and get one up after finals this week.
01:49 AM on 01/17/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
Excellent review.
07:04 AM on 01/17/12
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
Can't wait to hear this, if I can get myself to stop listening to Plantation.
Review was top-notch, you really captured his essence well, if I can say that without sounding pretentious haha.
07:19 AM on 01/17/12
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
EP is great. Awesome work once again bud.
09:04 AM on 01/17/12
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
I start working again this week, so hopefully I can order that vinyl soon
03:18 PM on 01/17/12
Ryan Dennehy
Good review. Listening to the stream now. Like it so far.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums