AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Grand Atlantic - Constellations Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.25
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Grand Atlantic - Constellations

Reviewed by: InfiniteArms (01/16/12)
Grand Altantic- Constellations
Release Date: September 2nd, 2011
Record Label: Green Light Music

It's good to know Australian bands can hold the fort for other bands that have decided to go into hibernation. There's no secret most people adore Australian music. Even if it is just because they have some of the best hardcore acts in the world or because when you come into the airport you have to set your watches back to 1983 and the music tells you so.

I never thought something recorded in an abandoned lunatic asylum could sound so sane and fantastic. Although the band had a few strange experiences like hearing voices and microphone stands spontaneously falling over, this album is as sane as you or me. Well, I hope I'm sane. If not, then this review could take a turn for the worst. This album is sheer psychedelic sophistication. The band is content to let the music build and peak, unhurriedly and these songs bend and fold, stretch out and explode.

When the band went in to the lunatic asylum to record this album with Dale Cotton, I don't think anyone knew what to expect when they were done. Not Dale or even the band themselves, probably. I hope they're happy with it, because they gave birth to a monster. This album is genius and it flows so well, never letting the energy go. Sure, each track isn't as upbeat as each other but the energy behind each track is there. A force beholds them.

The longest track on the album, which coincidentally is the title track, is probably the biggest stand out on the album. Goes for the most part of 9 minutes and the energy is never dropped, and don't get me wrong, it's a pretty upbeat song. This band has consistency and you can tell they have passion for what they do, well, you'd hope so, since they've released 2 albums and an EP prior to this.

After my first listen, I didn't think I could go back and listen again, and then I found myself humming one of the songs and trying to find it on YouTube to show my friends. This album is a great showcase of what a good, progressive rock/power pop album can sound like, its beating heart urgent and undeniable.

Sounds Like:Silverchair; The Maccabees; If Unwritten Law was a Progressive act; Empires

Track List: 1. Searchlights
2. Central Station Blues
3. Carved From Stone
4. Constellations
5. Mountains Too Steep
6. Poison To The Vine
7. Little Traps
8. Fresh Ideas in Home Security
9. Voyager
10. N.M.L.
11. Queenie

Standout Tracks: "Constellations" "Fresh Ideas In Home Security" "Central Station Blues"

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums