AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Good Life, The - 08.08.07

Good Life, The - 08.08.07

Interviewed by
Good Life, The - 08.08.07What is your name and what do you do in The Good Life?
Hello, my name is Tim Kasher and I sing and play a little guitar in The Good Life.

What have you been doing lately?
I've had a little time off from touring, so am writing for an upcoming Cursive record and am working on a screenplay.

Will Help Wanted Nights be a different style than the last one or will it be staying in the same direction musically?
It's not a huge departure from "Album of the Year," I suppose that's both a good thing and a bad thing, depending on one's feelings about our last album. Personally, I felt comfortable continuing in the acoustic/folk direction we were headed; this record is a bit more stripped down than the last.

Since The Good Life has been becoming more popular and becoming less as a "side band", which band do you focus more on now? And does being in two different bands conflict with each other as much?
They don't conflict too much because I've unintentionally separated their release dates so much. But yeah, they used to conflict A LOT, and that was tiring. This time around, the scheduling is working out a bit better.

Any plans for a tour to support the album when it comes out? Will it be a nation-wide tour?
Yeah, we are going to hit most of the country. Places we don't get to in the fall we will try to hit next year.

Help Wanted Nights was supposed to be the soundtrack to your screenplay. Why did you decide to release this album on its own?
Quite simply, it's our latest album so we set a release date like we would any release. It's "ideally" a soundtrack to a screenplay of the same name, but the screenplay has yet to get off the ground.

And what is going on with the screen play? When will fans be able to catch a glimpse of it?
Yikes, I hope people will be able to catch it; we're working on gathering a small budget to get it made.

Having written three albums that are arguably entirely about your divorce (Cursive's "Domestica" and The Good Life's "Album Of The Year" and "Black Out"), was it hard to be that brutally honest with your art?
Ha, ha- right, it is arguable; I would argue those two Good Life records were not about divorce! I hope this text comes off as jovial, because it is. It often wasn't too hard to write about darker, personal things like that; oftentimes, I didn't realize what I was writing about until the songs were finished. But yeah, sometimes one knows when they are going "too far" with certain content, and has to decide how much they are willing to edit themselves. And that can be difficult.

Happy Hollow seems to let your stance on religion known. What is your take on Christianity being expressed and pushed like a commodity within the punk/hardcore/underground music scene?
The problem with fighting against "preaching", is one inevitably becomes a preacher themselves, just with a different stance. I do think it's obnoxious the way religion gets packaged through music to attract youth culture, but aren't I guilty of packaging anti-religion for youth culture? I'm okay with it, I think it's more important to combat the Fundamentalist movement... and to avoid being too negative a "preacher," we tried to keep the message relatively positive instead of simply bashing. Okay, maybe just a little bashing.

Does cursive have any new material written/when are they heading back into the studio?
We're at the very earliest stages of writing at the moment. Almost all of us live in different cities now so we are attempting practicing in streaks - something that's new for us. We hope to record in the late Spring of 2008?? Hopefully.

What are your thoughts on the new Saddle Creek venue, The Slowdown? Did you have any input in the whole process?
I didn't have much input, just nagging things like, "make sure the bands are happy", or "make sure the sound is good". Sounds like it's going well - I haven't seen it yet!

What inspired you to do a cover of an Eastern Youth song IN JAPANESE and how long did it take you to learn the lyrics?
I liked the song, and heard how it could have been a folk song if handled differently. I was invited to do it, and thought it would be appropriate to keep it in Japanese since Eastern Youth has a history of respect for sticking to their language in an industry that often sings in English for a wider audience. And yeah, it was a hard, long afternoon.

What are your all-time top five albums? Movies? Books?
Man, I haven't thought about this for a while... I think I have different lists than I used to... but "The Graduate" would probably still top my movie list, and "Simon and Garfunkel" would top music.

Are you influenced by any contemporary music?
Technically, it would be hard to go grocery shopping or get gas and NOT be affected and somehow influenced by contemporary music, right? But yeah, I like keeping an ear on modern music.

I heard that you live in Los Angeles now, do you like living in LA?
I like living in a new place, I think the landscape of Southern California is great, and I hope to stay here for a while before I move on to the next place. What was the question again? I think it's a little weird how sunny it always is, but it's not nearly as hot and humid as Omaha.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
09:02 PM on 08/13/07
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Tim KasherThe problem with fighting against "preaching", is one inevitably becomes a preacher themselves, just with a different stance. I do think it's obnoxious the way religion gets packaged through music to attract youth culture, but aren't I guilty of packaging anti-religion for youth culture? I'm okay with it, I think it's more important to combat the Fundamentalist movement... and to avoid being too negative a "preacher," we tried to keep the message relatively positive instead of simply bashing. Okay, maybe just a little bashing.

Awesome. I love everything I know about this man from what I read about him on the Internet and hear about him through his music.
08:42 AM on 08/14/07
Wheez
Plays Pretty For Baby
User Info.
Short but sweet. Wish there was more to read, but some good insights nonetheless.
08:42 AM on 08/14/07
thePCownsYOU
User Info.
I like him. New music is always good.
08:57 AM on 08/14/07
Hobby
User Info.
I'm a big fan of Tim Kasher, because he's a one of the few competent lyricists out there.

I'm confused, though; I thought that the next Cursive album was set for a late 2007 release?
09:28 AM on 08/14/07
combatbaby
meow
User Info.
Love Tim. Can't wait to see The Good Life in October.
09:42 AM on 08/14/07
FUCKDIRTYWIPES
Kicking it middle school
User Info.
kasher is sooo sweet.
09:44 AM on 08/14/07
RememberFminus2
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
after my first good life show tim went with me and a friend to some bars in D.C. it was an unbelievable experience since his music has had a strong impact on me. He was so laid back, smart, and funny it was great talking to him.
10:16 AM on 08/14/07
iamsoindie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
too short.
10:20 AM on 08/14/07
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
good good good.
10:25 AM on 08/14/07
Jarrodtexas
User Info.
Tim KasherThe problem with fighting against "preaching", is one inevitably becomes a preacher themselves, just with a different stance. I do think it's obnoxious the way religion gets packaged through music to attract youth culture, but aren't I guilty of packaging anti-religion for youth culture? I'm okay with it, I think it's more important to combat the Fundamentalist movement... and to avoid being too negative a "preacher," we tried to keep the message relatively positive instead of simply bashing. Okay, maybe just a little bashing.

Awesome. I love everything I know about this man from what I read about him on the Internet and hear about him through his music.

I don't get why its cool to make a stand against religion or the packaging of religion. If it is not something you agree with, who cares? Why have to ruin it for someone else who may be into it.
10:38 AM on 08/14/07
AdamWASFearless
The Rational Voice of AP.net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks for asking my question about the Eastern Youth cover.
10:52 AM on 08/14/07
notoaststereo
they knew exactly what happened.
User Info.
short but good. i am very eager to hear the new album.
11:01 AM on 08/14/07
Dr. Acula
www.twitter.com/ericflaris
User Info.
Short but ok. I love Tim. Cant wait for new Good Life AND Cursive. woohoo.
11:31 AM on 08/14/07
jkretz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't get why its cool to make a stand against religion or the packaging of religion. If it is not something you agree with, who cares? Why have to ruin it for someone else who may be into it.

it is someone else simply expressing their point of view. i know it's crazy, but i thought art was about expression.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos