AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

01:33 AM on 01/21/12 
User Info.
dontdrivenaked
South Bend, IN
Male - 22 Years Old
An unpaid internship is still valuable experience. I realize its unpaid work, but as long as its not full time, it still equates to valuable work experience. On a resume in the future, it can make all the difference whether or not you end up getting a job with nice pay or not.
01:42 AM on 01/21/12 
User Info.
crackedthesky
cause when I fly solo I fly so high
Gladstone, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
How would one remedy this anyway? Do you pay interns minimum wage? Companies would stop allowing interns at all if that were the case. And if you set a legal wage for internship, I wonder how long it would take before every corporation in America stopped hiring employees altogether and instead hired only "interns" to escape minimum wage laws.
02:23 AM on 01/21/12 
User Info.
Lobstrosity
Male - 23 Years Old
I think at the very least, some sort of stipend should be given to all interns, covering their lunch expenses while working and their traveling expenses. For me personally to travel to Manhattan, each week travelling plus lunch would be at the very most $75 a week or so. Compared to maybe ~$235 for a 40 hour work week on minimum wage, it's definitely not a good wage, but at least it covers expenses for you so that you don't have to pay out of pocket with money you don't have from working an unpaid internship rather than a job.
03:35 AM on 01/21/12 
User Info.
-whisp-
HelixSkies
Melbourne
Female - 26 Years Old
I was offered an unpaid internship at the UN and I had to decline mainly due to the fact I couldn't afford traveling every day. I asked if they would cover it and they said no. I did a months work at a small organization and they payed for my traveling.. I don't see how a place like the UN can't afford it and yet a tiny organization can. They just want free labor. Of course working at the UN would have been a better opportunity but I just couldn't do it.
04:47 AM on 01/21/12 
User Info.
Br&New182
...survived prep school.
MA/CT
Male - 22 Years Old
Part of it is avarice.

how is getting a paid internship for business or engineering greedy?
04:52 AM on 01/21/12 
User Info.
Br&New182
...survived prep school.
MA/CT
Male - 22 Years Old
the idea behind an internship is an investment of time, energy, and money into you resume and education so when you are job hunting you have some experience and seem less like a gamble to to employee. if you really think that company wont hire you aftert the internship or they're working you too hard don't do it or find another.
05:54 AM on 01/21/12 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Birmingham/Huddersfi...
Male - 23 Years Old
I've done plenty of unpaid work while unemployed, and it's totally worth it for how much it's added to my CV as well as giving me shit to do instead of just stewing at home.
08:04 AM on 01/21/12 
User Info.
spiffa0
The Low-Cal Calzone Zone
Westmont, NJ
Male - 26 Years Old
I had a paid internship when I was in college. I would never ever ever take an unpaid internship. Though in my profession, I don't think there would be any unpaid internships.
08:43 AM on 01/21/12 
User Info.
Coloso
hey
Romaaaaaaa
Male - 23 Years Old
Had to take an unpaid internship last summer at the Baltimore Public Defender's Office... getting a foot in the door and all. They're writing me a glowing letter of recommendation for law school, and the experience was honestly wonderful, but I can't afford to do that again this summer. Between not working at a paying job, tons of gas money, and time spent in general, it was pretty costly. Hopefully it pays off more down the road in some form.
08:46 AM on 01/21/12 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male
How would one remedy this anyway? Do you pay interns minimum wage? Companies would stop allowing interns at all if that were the case. And if you set a legal wage for internship, I wonder how long it would take before every corporation in America stopped hiring employees altogether and instead hired only "interns" to escape minimum wage laws.

They already cut out positions just to hire unpaid interns, so I think the situation is worse than your scenario at present.
09:42 AM on 01/21/12 
User Info.
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
Southgate, MI
Male - 23 Years Old
I think at the very least, some sort of stipend should be given to all interns, covering their lunch expenses while working and their traveling expenses. For me personally to travel to Manhattan, each week travelling plus lunch would be at the very most $75 a week or so. Compared to maybe ~$235 for a 40 hour work week on minimum wage, it's definitely not a good wage, but at least it covers expenses for you so that you don't have to pay out of pocket with money you don't have from working an unpaid internship rather than a job.

The Drawing of the Three lobstrosity? Excellent book.
10:08 AM on 01/21/12 
User Info.
squared82
why burn poor and lonely?
Pittsburgh PA
Male - 27 Years Old
Part of it is avarice.

Perhaps in some instances, but I would never accuse the adoption agency I interned at (and now work for) as being greedy. I also know that for a year or two while my brother was in college (studying engineering), many firms were not taking many interns because they could not pay them. In that field, it is expected that interns are paid well, so if they could not pay them, they nixed the internships. I know my brother would have happily taken an unpaid internship those summers, because internships were expected to be on his resume. He still couldn't find one, though.
11:16 AM on 01/21/12 
User Info.
aolsux
phase reverse
Reading, PA
Male - 26 Years Old
Ah well, I guess most don't agree with my extreme assessment.
12:36 PM on 01/21/12 
User Info.
danielinskeep
i can spell confusion with a K.
Chicago
Male - 26 Years Old
I don't know about ones that require college credit, but I'm fairly certain it is now illegal to have unpaid interns.
12:43 PM on 01/21/12 
User Info.
Simulcast
Just a free ride and a big scam
Male - 28 Years Old
In this day and age, especially in the current state of the American economy, how is it still legal to pretty much enslave a worker who in most sense of the term does more than most employees who work salary? I mean, I understand wanting to get experience but it really should be unlawful.

I wanted to get a general consensus of how people feel working your ass off, with no real promise of employment.

What could possibly be unlawful about this? Companies don't twist people's arms to fill unpaid internships.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos