Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 146
05:49 PM on 01/21/12
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
I preferred In Defence of the Genre over Is A Real Boy.

Everything after that was weaker.
05:59 PM on 01/21/12
unnameworthy
Gypsy Wizard
User Info.
I preferred In Defence of the Genre over Is A Real Boy.

Everything after that was weaker.
I feel In Defense stood up in the overall quality of the writing and could have been as good an album if not better. I just think it could have benefited from a few more months in the shop to flesh some things out and fine-tune the production.

@ladedadada, as for the self-titled, I really don't think it stands up. There's just so much less depth to what's going on instrumentally; the production is weaker... I dunno. I'm coming from a place where iaRb is one of my three favorite albums, but I just don't think S/T holds a candle in any quantifiable way. Songs like Do Better just don't match up on any level; it's doing almost nothing musically and the lyrics are fun but lack depth. And while there are some spectacular songs, I feel the album just doesn't do them justice (compare those early live acoustic videos of "Crush'd" and "Eloise," especially the former, to the album versions, or the demos of "Fed To Death" and "Property").

Of course, I respect your right to disagree and I'm in no way insulting the album. And I do like positivity more than nihilism and wish I could like the album better for that reason. I just think it's a good record rather than a classic one. I'm hoping I can give the new one at least that positive an appraisal.
06:02 PM on 01/21/12
DAMENFINI
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow and so it begins all the SA hate. When will it stop when will people stop dwelling in the past and finally learn that the band is changing. I don't really think you can pass off as a "fan" if you don't even support the band you like. As a hardcore fan of SA this album does it all for me. The creativity of every song in the lyrics and musically are really the reasons why this album is one of their best since IARB. So shut the hell up an stop all the bashing if you don't like it don't listen and support them.
06:02 PM on 01/21/12
ben mears
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i haven't listened to the leak - and i'm not going to - but WHY the hell is everybody comparing this album to an album that was written almost 10 years ago!?! and i don't care what max said....is a real boy was written 8 years ago. max was 8 years younger. was heavy into drugs. he probably is a completely different person and it should show in the music and lyrics.

no matter what max said, you guys were delusional if you thought ...is a real boy II was going to be this album.
06:04 PM on 01/21/12
MindspiN
Deep Mind Wanderer
User Info.
Demonoid has the full songs. :o
06:06 PM on 01/21/12
DAMENFINI
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i haven't listened to the leak - and i'm not going to - but WHY the hell is everybody comparing this album to an album that was written almost 10 years ago!?! and i don't care what max said....is a real boy was written 8 years ago. max was 8 years younger. was heavy into drugs. he probably is a completely different person and it should show in the music and lyrics.

no matter what max said, you guys were delusional if you thought ...is a real boy II was going to be this album.

Amen to that, dude.
06:09 PM on 01/21/12
dancelukedance
My body is a bomb
User Info.
Wow and so it begins all the SA hate. When will it stop when will people stop dwelling in the past and finally learn that the band is changing. I don't really think you can pass off as a "fan" if you don't even support the band you like. As a hardcore fan of SA this album does it all for me. The creativity of every song in the lyrics and musically are really the reasons why this album is one of their best since IARB. So shut the hell up an stop all the bashing if you don't like it don't listen and support them.
06:15 PM on 01/21/12
unnameworthy
Gypsy Wizard
User Info.
I think there's an honest difference between "This album isn't iaRb so I hate it" and "This album just doesn't do anything at all for me" (I haven't heard enough of it to say that, but for the sake of argument). I'm someone who's seen SA live 10 times and Max solo an additional three, bought all three Painful Splits LPs, and generally done everything in my power to support the band. I've long since stopped waiting for them to record another Real boy and give every release the benefit of the doubt, but so far I've just been underwhelmed by what I've heard of this one.
06:18 PM on 01/21/12
Kdenisarealboy
As Much of The Sky As Possible
User Info.
I think that this album is pretty good, I see different people liking different songs, and I think it's based on personal preference which song people like. Honestly, I like all of the songs because I like to put meanings to them, and decipher the metaphors. I don't think max's lyrics are childish because if he made them sound childish, there must be a reason for it.

It's a metaphor, fool.
06:29 PM on 01/21/12
jsm158
Contra
User Info.
People give Bemis way more credit than he deserves, considering he's only made one great album. It's not "too deep for you to understand," it's that maybe Bemis just kind of sucks at writing songs now. The lyrics on this album are mostly horrendous, and lack the charm that he was once able to pull off. He honestly just comes off as a whiny 13-year-old most of the time.

Maybe Max just needs to go batshit crazy again.
06:33 PM on 01/21/12
Kdenisarealboy
User Info.
People give Bemis way more credit than he deserves, considering he's only made one great album. It's not "too deep for you to understand," it's that maybe Bemis just kind of sucks at writing songs now. The lyrics on this album are mostly horrendous, and lack the charm that he was once able to pull off. He honestly just comes off as a whiny 13-year-old most of the time.

Maybe Max just needs to go batshit crazy again.
Are you kidding? One great album? IDOTG is overall a pretty great album, as well as Baseball. His recent lyrics aren't even that bad, especially on AMD. The self titled had some pretty cringe-y lyrics, but songs like Ah..men and Cemetery had great lyrics.
06:37 PM on 01/21/12
musicaddicttt
the indie Christian good boy
User Info.
this album sounds like IDOTG and the Painful Splits coming together.
06:43 PM on 01/21/12
jurzdevil
User Info.
The self titled had some pretty cringe-y lyrics

"we should make a verbal agreement to only kiss each other!"

there's no smiley for vomiting and shooting oneself in the head simultaneously on here...

seriously though, i like everything SA has done and i'm sure i'll like this but that one line is just the absolute worst.
06:44 PM on 01/21/12
ladedadada
The first rule of flying is love.
User Info.
Okay, I can't go back and quote everything I wanna quote, but how are Do Better's lyrics "fun but lacking in depth"? WHATEVER. Those lyrics are completely deep. The song is call to arms to stop being shallow and make something of yourself. It means that you could have a spiritual side instead of just coasting.

Whoever says Max Bemis gets too much credit and should go back to drugs is ON DRUGS. How can you give him too much credit? I gush about him at every turn and I don't give him ENOUGH credit. He's a great songwriter... like, a Lennon/McCartney, Jagger/Richards GREAT songwriter. And he writes thousands of songs. Literally, thousands. And the vast majority are listenable.

Like, so much whatever to the haters
06:50 PM on 01/21/12
Kdenisarealboy
User Info.
"we should make a verbal agreement to only kiss each other!"

there's no smiley for vomiting and shooting oneself in the head simultaneously on here...

seriously though, i like everything SA has done and i'm sure i'll like this but that one line is just the absolute worst.
I love anything Max has written, but "I want death, death for my birthday.
Don't get me wrong, 'cause I love life, but life has a boyfriend" was just too much as well as "He's just a wal-mart version of you"

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos