AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
They're Ghouls - The Dead Love Too LP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.5
Musicianship 6.75
Lyrics 7.75
Production 6
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 69%
Member Ratings
Vocals 1.5
Musicianship 0.25
Lyrics 0.25
Production 0.25
Creativity 2.5
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Average: 8%

They're Ghouls - The Dead Love Too LP

Reviewed by: ladedadada (01/21/12)
They're Ghouls - The Dead Love Too LP
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: September 17, 2010

I'm going to admit a reviewer bias here. When I hear "horrorpunk," I usually think "Misfits." Now, it's a terrible thing to equate an entire genre with its flagship artist. I'm aware that psychobilly has taken off and flourished. But I can't help it; it just seems to me that the whole aesthetic has been borrowed. Sure, I like some horrorpunk-leaning bands (Alkaline Trio and My Chemical Romance springing instantly to mind), but forgive me if I find it hard to get excited about the tattoos-and-vampires image/sound of Horrorpops, Balzac, and Murderdolls. Bands along those lines sort of elicit a response of "Meh" from me by default.

What a lovely surprise, then, to find that The Dead Love Too brings something new(ish) to the table. It's a new side-project from Jeff Turner, half of the musical force that is the Turner twins, part of Say Anything, XO, and Safety in Numbers, now part of They're Ghouls (with his "gf"). Their album, sold primarily at the merch tables on 2010's Say Anything/Motion City Soundtrack tour, is... actually pretty good. Despite song titles like "Night of the Living Dead," "ZOMBIE," and "Dawn of the Living Dead"not much for subtletyit's... not (overly) derivative of The Misfits. Colour me impressed.

Written and recorded in three days on GarageBand, Dead has an extremely lo-fi sound (same as the latest tour-only from Max Bemis, incidently). This wavers between suiting the music and hurting it, but utimately you're left with the impression that it's pretty punk, anyway. The songs run the gamut from hardcore ("They're Ghouls") to chilled-out ("Night of the Living Dead") to bizarro '50s kitsch in the vein of Ryan Gosling's musical endeavour Dead Man's Bones ("The Dead Love Too"). "The Terror" sounds distinctly like an unreleased Say Anything b-side, something like "Chia-like I Shall Grow," maybe). But the core of the album is a handful of songs with an emo sound, not unlike Motion City Soundtrack, with keyboards laid over pop-punk guitarsthe "single," "Dawn of the Living Dead," sure, but even more so "Teen Wolf" and "ZOMBIE," the latter of which is like XO if XO had been contemporaries of (you guessed it) The Misfits. It's a novelty record, but it's got a lot of potential.

Is it jumping the gun to call horror-emo a genre? Perhaps. All I know is that when Turner sings, "All I want is to hold your little hand/Take you into my undead promised hand/Where blood flows from the highest waterfall," I'm pretty much game. If it only takes three days to make a They're Ghouls record, he may as well give us another.

Recommended If You LikeXO, Max Bemis and the Painful Splits, old George Romero movies, Dead Man's Bones - Dead Man's Bones

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
09:03 AM on 01/23/12
ladedadada
The first rule of flying is love.
User Info.
I wrote this review two years ago and just posted it now...
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests