Username
Password
Recommended News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Recommended
Inside AP.net

Staff Recommendations: January 22nd, 2012

Posted by: Jason Tate (01/22/12)
What a helluva week, eh? That's my best Eda-canadian-impersonation. It's Sunday morning, I've got my coffee in hand, and it's time to put together the staff recommendations for this week. Check out what the staff are listening to, and then hit up the replies and let us know what you are currently spinning. It's a great time to discover new music.

Jason TateThis week finally saw me attempt a de-tox on A Wilhelm Scream. I ended up getting my hands on the new Sharks' album, which took two or three listens to really sink my teeth into (enjoy my puns, I have a million of them) - but once it clicked, I've fallen in love with it. It's so good. Check out their new song "Arcane Effigies" (Spotify) if you're curious about how the album sounds, and their latest compilation release (Spotify) if you want to get in early on these guys. I also spent some time with No Trigger's (Spotify) new album "Tycoon" - and it picks up where the last left off. Fast paced punk music. And, to complete my week, it was Social Distortion's (Spotify) latest album - which I think went under the radar. I also highly recommend Frank Turner (Spotify) for anyone that has yet to check out his album -- you're missing out.

Most of the links are for the rdio streams, and I did my best to include spotify ones as well. Hope you enjoy. Feel free to follow me on twitter or facebook if you want more daily recs - and general randomness.

Ryan GardnerI've been listening to The Devil and God, The Upsides, and Son I Loved You At Your Darkest non-stop lately - with the latter of those really hitting hard. Also, Anthony Green's new record, Beautiful Things, has been getting a lot of spins, as has the latest Ace Enders EP - his vocals are at their pinnacle on it. Oh and I highly recommend seeing The Artist - it is absolutely stunning

Dre Okorley100% on board with No Trigger's latest, Tycoon. So much energy and unexpected surprises in that album, and I'm sure you'll all fall in love with it. Hardcore punk is still going strong.

Jack ApplebyIt's simple, really: Archer, the Clippers, and Silver Snakes stole my attention all week. Getting back into that old Lady Radiator record as well.

Kyle HuntingtonThis week I've been finally listening to albums other than The Maccabees' Given To The Wild and falling in love with Sharon Van Etten's beautiful new album Tramp. First Aid Kit have also been getting a lot of plays with their new album, The Lion's Roar, truly stunning vocals. Check out a YouTube clip of their song "To A Poet" from the album here.

Deborah RemusI listened to lots of Detox and Wide Awake Bored this week to celebrate the return of Treble Charger. I also recommend John K. Samson's Provincial as any good Winnipegger should.

Christian WagnerWrite me a late pass, but I cannot stop listening to Touche Amore's last album. And I've joined The Church of Rock N Roll. You need to read the bible written Foxy Shazam.

Joe DeAndreaSo there's this (new?) website I've been using a lot lately called 8tracks. It's basically a social networking site based around making playlists. You can search for new bands, follow people, embed mixes, listen to as much as you want, etc. Pretty much a music nerd's dream. Here's one I made of the songs/artists I've been listening to lately (it's not pop-punk, I swear!). And here's my friend's profile - she's the reason I know about this site. She also likes better music than I do.

Jason GardnerHearing about a new Our Lady Peace record has me delving into their back catalog a bit, especially Gravity and Spiritual Machines. Been spending a lot of time with Protest the Hero as well, jamming a mix I made of them just after we were blessed with Scurrilous. If you haven't had a chance to check out some of the bands I've had a chance to review recently, I would strongly suggest Tharsis They.

Adam PfleiderThe new Caravels tracks off their Well Worn split with Gifts From Enola are sick. Also got to see the guys in Xerxes and Code Orange Kids kill it Thursday. So listen to those bands. Prepare yourself for my Drive-Thru editorial coming at you later this week.

Sean RizzoI finally realized that a good chunk of the reason why I love Mew so much is because they're heavily influenced by shoegaze, so I've been giving Blonde Redhead and My Bloody Valentine more serious consideration. Hammock's cover of Catherine Wheel's "Black Metallic" is also incredible, you can get it on Never Lose That Feeling: Vol. 2

Jake DenningAlso a major late pass, but i've been digging St. Vincent, Washed Out, and James Blake's most recent albums.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 48
12:08 PM on 01/22/12
kazuma_ootaro28
User Info.
Kate Walsh - Tim's House. Just checked it out yesterday, and I really enjoyed it. For fans of Winterpills, or Indie singer-songwriters such as Rosie Thomas. Or The Narrative and Michelle DaRosa's voice if that helps.
12:12 PM on 01/22/12
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I will now give No Trigger's record a spin
12:14 PM on 01/22/12
Avalanche1
Keep running, keep shining on
User Info.
I'm digging that Sharks song. Never listened to them before.
12:14 PM on 01/22/12
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
Gonna check out Ace Enders' new EP and No Trigger as well, No Trigger is on No Sleep, right?
12:16 PM on 01/22/12
BusterBluth
@edgarallentoe
User Info.

12:19 PM on 01/22/12
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
This album shows more of a vocal range from the singer and reminds me of a pop-punk Rise Against.

Just discovered this cd on Rdio. Reminds me of Mayday Parade from when Jason Lancaster was still in the band.
12:20 PM on 01/22/12
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Gonna check out Ace Enders' new EP and No Trigger as well, No Trigger is on No Sleep, right?
Yeah
12:21 PM on 01/22/12
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
Smith Westerns - Dye It Blonde

No Joy - Ghost Blonde

Pure X - Pleasure

Sharon Van Etten - Tramp
12:22 PM on 01/22/12
PlanetDahmz
User Info.
Absolutely can't wait to listen to new No Trigger.
12:30 PM on 01/22/12
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
These were all getting lots of love in the rotation this week:

12:35 PM on 01/22/12
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
These were all getting lots of love in the rotation this week:

Now, Now leaked?
12:43 PM on 01/22/12
JTHomeslice
Your girl's favorite pizza boy
User Info.
This week's rotation

Metroid Metal. Metal versions of Metroid songs (surprising!)

Awkward Terrible vs. The Glowing Stars split. Two cool chiptune bands come together to make some really cool music.
12:44 PM on 01/22/12
blinkme
Sinatra blue
User Info.

This album is gorgeous!
12:48 PM on 01/22/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I will now give No Trigger's record a spin
I just cringed when I read "his vocals are at their pinnacle"
Options