AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 25 posts
02:31 PM on 01/22/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
Honestly, I'm an omnivore where genre is concerned, so there's no such thing as "those few albums outside my kind of music". I am never satisfied with a regular diet of one kind of music.

But people always seem to be surprised I like metal (Metallica, Megadeth, etc.) but that's all I liked from 10-15 years old or screaming stuff (Underoath, Pianos Become the Teeth) but I spent years playing with and hanging out with people in those kinds of bands.
02:41 PM on 01/22/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
My piano teacher loved Megadeth. Her four year old daughter knew all the words to their entire discography.
Haha. They're definitely a distant second to my undying love for Metallica, but when I purged a lot of old metal and nu-metal from my CD shelves, I couldn't bear to part with them.
02:58 PM on 01/22/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
I will say I don't understand how SO many people can say some variant of "I like everything....except country! Fuck country! Ew!"
03:03 PM on 01/22/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
Probably because they equate today's "rock and roll with a twang" country with real country.
Even still, there's something to like in most every genre. Pop-country isn't my biggest go-to, but there's a handful I quite enjoy. But yeah, I imagine that's the case.
03:07 PM on 01/22/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
I get it when this is what you hear on the radio ...

Yeah but since when is the radio a bastion of quality anymore? Do they make their decisions about any other genres off the radio?

Also, that song blows, but some of Aldean's stuff is excellent. The guitar playing is so good.
03:08 PM on 01/22/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
It's just ignorance, plain and simple.
Yeah, pretty much.

On subject of this thread, I've had a steady diet of classical and jazz this weekend. I need to expand my knowledge in both those fields.
03:12 PM on 01/22/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
When speaking in generalizations of a genre, yeah, most people make their decisions and generalizations off of what they're exposed to.

Fast and lose with the word "excellent" for me.
'Cause I'm sure you've heard a lot...
03:17 PM on 01/22/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
Don't need to hear a lot to know what I would consider "excellent" or not.
So one bad song can tell you that he can't have other music that's great? How the hell can you listen to Blink then? They have a good handful of really awful shit.
03:18 PM on 01/22/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
as someone who grew up solely on country music, people definitely discredit the whole genre based on the trash on the radio now. classic country music is up there with the best folk music out there, and garth brooks had some fucking jams. i feel like a lot of people overlook how fantastic bluegrass music is as well.
Give me a few bluegrass recs? It's a genre I find I'm enjoying small samplings of and want to dig into more.
03:22 PM on 01/22/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
Blink do have a lot of really awful shit. Some "shit" I like, some I don't.

Thankfully Blink don't have a song about tractors.
'Cause songs about fucking dogs in the ass are better...?
03:23 PM on 01/22/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
download that ten mile drive album i posted in the emmylou harris thread. if the link's dead i'll upload it again
Link me?
03:25 PM on 01/22/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
i really dig dailey & vincent. obviously alison krauss; ralph stanley. these are all good starting points.

Thanks, man. Writing those down.
03:28 PM on 01/22/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
One is meant to be joke, one is meant to be a single on the radio. I'll take the meant to be funny song, if I hafta choose, over the unintentionally hilarious one.
Do you really think Aldean was trying to write his opus there? Country has a long tradition of humor. It's not humor that appeals to me, but that's like shitting on pop-punk for talking about growing up. It's a traditional aspect of the genre. There's about a zero-percent chance that he wasn't trying to be silly with that song.
03:30 PM on 01/22/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
i also added in yonder mountain string band. one of the best live shows i have ever seen.
Sweet. I don't know why I didn't gravitate to bluegrass before. I've always loved acoustic guitars, banjo, mandolin, upright bass. How did it not dawn on me that they're all staples of bluegrass!?! Haha.
03:34 PM on 01/22/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
He disagrees with your zero-percent:

I live outside of Nashville. I spend a lot of time out on my farm and on my tractor. The night before [Jim and I] had gotten together to write, I was out bush-hogging. One of my favorite things to do is get out and bush-hog at night and play around with my tractor. I was out riding around one night, and I just got the idea for that song. I started singing the chorus in my head.

I was supposed to write with Jim [the writer of 'She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy' for Kenny Chesney] the next day. I walked into his office and I said, "Hey man, do you feel like writing another tractor song?" He just busted out laughing and said, "It's been about eight years since 'She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy' ... I think I'm through!" We sat down and wrote that song.

When you write songs sometimes, you just have a feeling that "this is going to be a hit song." I had that feeling with 'Party Crowd,' and I had that feeling with 'Dust on the Bottle.' When we wrote 'Big Green Tractor,' it just felt like, "Man, this song feels really great. It's special and it's different." You just feel fortunate to be around when something like that happens. Songwriters, we just sit around there and wait for the ideas to come. Some days it doesn't happen, and some days it does. That was just one of those days that I was lucky enough to be there when that one came up.
I don't buy public statements like that as any less performance than any other moment for a major-label artist. An assumption of sincerity is a prerequisite for music fans right now for some reason (i.e. Lana Del Rey), so of course he's not going to say "Yeah I wrote a goofy tractor song."

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos