Username
Password
AP.net Related News - Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 214.
05:41 PM on 01/22/12
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I'm a big fan of 80's pop songs and have a lot of radio stuff in my library. I grew up on oldies and classic rock, found my own sound in 90's hip-hop/R&B, then as I grew older and got past the nu-metal that was so popular when I was in middle & high school, I began to gravitate towards melody again. That's ultimately what led me to covet bands like Green Day, blink-182 and Foo Fighters in such high regard. Those tastes expanded with every passing week, as I made it a goal to discover and listen to everything that appealed to me. Most of what I still love today did come during the time I was listening to Limp Bizkit & Staind -- and I suppose it was nice to have a balance in the midst of listening to chaos & notoriously disliked bands.
05:42 PM on 01/22/12
aradiantsunrise
i'm not as dumb as i am
User Info.
I love you, Chris Fallon.
05:44 PM on 01/22/12
mka12992
I called in sick from your funeral
User Info.
Freaks and Geeks! Classic TV show that started the career of many popular actors!
Thank you! I've been meaning to check the show out for a long time now. I saw that .gif and I was like "I know who that is..." Now I see it's Martin Starr.haha
05:46 PM on 01/22/12
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I love you, Chris Fallon.
05:47 PM on 01/22/12
hold_fast_hope
User Info.
I grew up on gospel, jazz, and soul, slowly moved to nu-metal and rap in middle school, and moved to more pop punk/post hardcore/emo/whatever in high school. With the indie onslaught of late, I'd like to say I have diverse taste.

That said, Kelly Clarkson is a huge anomaly in my library.
05:50 PM on 01/22/12
AgainstTheCurrent
Paranoid Humanoid.
User Info.
I honestly feel like Bon Iver's self-titled album transcends genre classification because it was just pure musical expression. I remember the first couple times when I listened to that album I was talking to my dad about it and I said, "you know how people always say musicians today lack the inherent soul that artists like The Beatles and Bob Dylan had? Bon Iver proves that soul still exists."

I still stand by that. I think if anyone loves music, they love this album because of the nature of his expression.

Aside from that, I just LOVE the way it's produced. Something about the production really complements the music perfectly.
05:51 PM on 01/22/12
aradiantsunrise
i'm not as dumb as i am
User Info.
05:53 PM on 01/22/12
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Now that I think about it, the only genre I really don't listen to anymore is pop-punk. I think it's because for a few years it made up 80% of my music collection, and now I feel like I've heard every song 1,000 times. Although, I will make exceptions for certain bands like Blink 182 and FOB.
I couldn't agree more. This is why I can't get into new pop-punk bands. It just does nothing for me anymore, even though I still listen to old albums once in a while.

Had no idea Eda liked AFI. how could keep this from me, Lu?
How could you not know?!

My username (MorningStar x0x) was inspired by their song!

I just read the whole thing, saw your first post, then got surprised - I thought Jason had posted this thread, and I was like, "It's not really surprising to me that Jason likes AFI" but it totally is weird that you like them! Hahaha.
Read above.

Pretty sure the first show I went to was an AFI show. Crazy.

05:54 PM on 01/22/12
AgainstTheCurrent
Paranoid Humanoid.
User Info.
Oh, and out of place artist for me... maybe Blink-182. While I do love a lot of the newer pop-punk bands around today (TWY, Transit, etc.), I just don't like "old" pop-punk bands like NFG, Sum 41 or Good Charlotte. It just reminds me of second grade and I can't take it seriously. I just love Blink though.
05:55 PM on 01/22/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
A couple other alt county bands that deserve your attention

The Jayhawks are so damn good. Also Old 97's, The Broken West, Will Hoge, Ryan Adams, Ryan Bingham, Drew Holcomb and the Neighbors, the list goes on and on...
05:59 PM on 01/22/12
MarquisInSpades
User Info.
My iPod will move from Blood Brothers - Young Machetes to Bryan Adams - So Far, So Good, and to me, that's normal.

I think Bon Iver made it on to people's lists because Justin Vernon went through some life changing periods to form what became Bon Iver in the first place, and he is just very good at conveying that. It doesn't matter what the music 'genre' is, it matters if people hear it and go, "Holy shit, I'm right there with you."

I like to think of it this way: If a song or an album is on in my headphones as I'm walking around a familiar area, and it ACTUALLY feels like its my soundtrack in my life's movie, then it can transcend any sort of boundaries I've created as to what genre I'm into. Does that make sense?
06:00 PM on 01/22/12
MarquisInSpades
User Info.
...or anything with a good drop in it.
06:02 PM on 01/22/12
JinxRemoving
User Info.
My first show ever was seeing The Jayhawks open for the Wallflowers. They're amazing.
06:11 PM on 01/22/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
My first show ever was seeing The Jayhawks open for the Wallflowers. They're amazing.
nice. see em a handful of times.
06:17 PM on 01/22/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
and yeah, I actually dig old AFI too

Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music