AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Enter Shikari - 01.22.12

Interviewed by
Enter Shikari - 01.22.12One of my most anticipated records from this year came from Enter Shikari, one of the craziest live bands in the rock scene right now. "A Flash Flood of Colour" is Enter Shikari's 3rd full-length album, out right now on Hopeless Records. I was fortunate enough to catch up with Rou Reynolds, who is responsible for lead vocals, keyboards, and synthesizer in the band.

First off, you guys just recently got off a Full U.S. tour supporting The Devil Wears Prada – What are your thoughts on that tour and experiences that you had? One of your cabs lit on fire when you hit Portland, that was pretty wild, definitely applaud playing right through that!

We enjoyed that tour, the shows all went ok, some even well and not too much stuff broke. So yeh as you say, apart from the speaker fire onstage in Portland it was a worthwhile tour. It was about halfway through the set and I've no idea how or why but the speaker started spewing smoke but of course with the lights onstage flashing and smoke machines and the like we didn't really notice it properly until flames began whipping in and out of the speaker. The stage crew bolted on and absolutely drenched it with a extinguisher just before it began to spread luckily! We never even stopped playing the song we were playing as this was all going on though, Rob (our drummer) must have been beginning to get rather warm as he was right next to it!

“A Flash Flood Of Colour” finally comes out this month – what’s the meaning behind the album title? What’s the concept behind the album overall?

The Album is supposed to be an injection of positivity, passion and empowerment. It's a flood of confident ideas musically and lyrically. There is no concept as such but a lot of the lyrical thinking is to do with perspective. It's very easy to look around the world and just accept the insane ways our 'civilisation' works simply as normality, just the way things are. The album’s about stepping back and looking at today’s problems and recognising that they are systematic and we need to realign our living to one that is sustainable and progressive.

One of the things I really enjoy about the band is the electronic elements you contribute. That being said, how have you grown as a musician since your last record?

I like to tinker on as many instruments as possible. I think when you learn an instrument properly and thoroughly you can begin to slightly over analyse what you're creating on it, is this technical enough? is this original enough, these chords, this melody? etc etc.

If you tinker from instrument to instrument, you're just listening to what you're playing rather than thinking about what notes you're playing and in what order.

I think a deeper understanding of the process of creativity has helped me too. Discovering our misconceptions about creativity how everyone is full of creativity. Everything from inventions to art is developed serially, no one sat in a room with no influence from the outside world and came up with something original. Creativity is just mixing your personal influences, be it musical or more extensively speaking.

What artists do you feel represent the Electronic/Dubstep scene well? Skrillex is really popular, but I feel like a lot of great artists such as Nero are overlooked here and whatnot.

Nero's great, yeah, a real sense of classy pop sensibility. It's good pop music, a resource that we're very short of at the moment!

Our favourite electronic music producers have always been Noisia - their production levels are always absolutely incredible.

Our boys in True Tiger have been doing really well lately, really looking forward to their album next year. Other than that we enjoy listening to The Others, Zeds Dead, 16 bit, Benga etc. Perhaps the darker original London style of Dubstep more than anything else.

One of my immediate favorites off the record is “Search Party” – what can you tell us about this track? What inspired the lyrics?

It was mainly written in desperation about the world around us, but obviously it still conveys optimism and positivity in its presentation musically and lyrically. It's about thinking scientifically, figuring out the problems and overcoming them with human ingenuity and the limitless progression that comes from that. If you had said to someone a few centuries ago what sort of technological world we'd be living in, they wouldn't even understand many of the concepts like internet let alone believe you were truthful. Hopefully in the future from now we will have also progressed not just technologically but morally in our values and our treatment of one and another and this world.

Another track I found particularly enjoyable was “Gandhi Mate, Gandhi”; can you please also give us insight into this track as well?

This originally started out life as a 'Rout' track (my electronic side project). It was a bouncy electro influenced dubstep track a good 4 years ago now, but I thought it could translate and grow into a full on Shikari track so I took it to the guys with some early guitar ideas and we developed it into this monster! This track was a lot of fun to make, especially with the vocal delivery involved what with all the emotion and different characters.

Favorite song off the record and why? Is it a part of your live set yet?

It changes almost daily. I'm so happy with it so genuinely can't wait to play them all live. At the moment. I'd have to go with System Meltdown, we've played it twice now live at our album release parties and nerves and anxiety was so high what with playing the new stuff for the first time, it just fueled overflowing levels of adrenaline, especially when they went down so well.

What was the hardest track for you to write and why?

The lyrics to Constellations were seriously tough. I didn't actually end up writing them till literally the last minute. I think it was 4 days before we left Thailand. It had been this daunting looming demon at the back of my mind the whole time. I was so scared as to whether lyrically a vocal delivery would live up to the passion of the music. It really had to be special. But thankfully, I had a breakthrough in that last week in the studio and managed to get everything across we wanted.

Both great singles, why wasn’t Destablise and Quelle Surprise not included on the album?

We had such a plethora of musical ideas around that time we knew we wouldn't be stuck for tracks to be considered for the album, so seeing as excitement about those two tracks was so high when we recorded them, we decided to just throw them out there!

I guess that's also the benefit of being independent, you can do impulsive things like these and not have to go through a string of higher ups for corroboration.

Is there a chance of B-Sides EP or Album coming out in the near future?

Nothing as of yet, we're just concentrating on this one for now but it's always a possibility.

What can you tell us about Enter Shikari’s upcoming U.S. Headliner later this year? Also related, is "Sorry, You're Not A Winner" officially retired from the setlist?

Nah, no songs ever gone for good. But no idea on setlist or anything yet. It's going to be excruciatingly hard picking a setlist from 3 albums now... it was difficult enough with 2! We really can't wait to get over again though and give everyone a proper Shikari show to its fullest for the first time.

Favorite song to play live and why?

Again with the influx of new songs to our set I'll go with one of them. 'Hello Tyrannosaurus, Meet Tyrannicide' Just search a high energy track and it's been sending the crowds totally fucking nuts!

A good amount of British bands have found success here in the United States, such as Architects (UK), You Me At Six, and Bring Me The Horizon. What are some artists from the U.K. that you think people here in America are going to respond really well to? Personally, I think Ed Sheeran and Don Broco are going to catch a lot of us here off guard.

I'm sure Ed Sheeran will translate well over there definitely. Twin Atlantic and Lower Than Atlantis are both good friends of ours and seem to be doing really well over there, I'm sure things will only grow for them too.

What is one book AND one band that you’d personally recommend to anyone that listens to Enter Shikari and what reasons do you have to support your choices?

I'll go with film instead of book, the online free documentary, Zeitgeist: Moving Forward.
It’s simply the most important thing one could watch at this moment in time. It is the premise for the most important movement of our generation.

And Band wise, I'll go with Refused. Anyone that likes us will appreciate them, I'm sure. And since now they're back together for how long I don't know, all the youngsters who don’t know them should definitely check them out.

Wrapping up, is there anything you’d like to say or mention?

Big up all who support us! You're on the right side of History.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
09:48 PM on 01/22/12
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Awesome album, I will move heaven and earth to see their headliner.
11:07 PM on 01/22/12
Roton7
so i herd u liek roton7??
User Info.
I've always liked some of their songs, but I am in love with AFFOC
11:09 PM on 01/22/12
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If by "one of the craziest live bands" you mean "band who drastically alters their songs by replacing intense instrumental parts with shitty dubstep which they then dance to embarrassingly, much to the audience's chagrin" then yes, you are correct.
11:22 PM on 01/22/12
Jake Denning
User Info.
If by "one of the craziest live bands" you mean "band who drastically alters their songs by replacing intense instrumental parts with shitty dubstep which they then dance to embarrassingly, much to the audience's chagrin" then yes, you are correct.
Should they not be allowed to dance? Last time I caught them, not a single one of them were standing still. They were running all over the place, going absolutely mental.
11:45 PM on 01/22/12
t.web4
Gone
User Info.
Not really a fan, but interesting interview.
12:11 AM on 01/23/12
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Should they not be allowed to dance? Last time I caught them, not a single one of them were standing still. They were running all over the place, going absolutely mental.
Dancing is great. Cutting out parts of your songs that people like just so you can dance and not play your instrument isn't. I get that breakdowns have been done to death but if I hear a heavy breakdown on the record I want to hear that heavy breakdown live, not some electronic backing track that takes away from the energy and gives the band an excuse to jerk off.
01:22 AM on 01/23/12
drzafs
spinning free
User Info.
Dancing is great. Cutting out parts of your songs that people like just so you can dance and not play your instrument isn't. I get that breakdowns have been done to death but if I hear a heavy breakdown on the record I want to hear that heavy breakdown live, not some electronic backing track that takes away from the energy and gives the band an excuse to jerk off.
You should have checked out their live show earlier before they decided to switch things up. Every time I've seen them its been fresh and original while still keeping true to the record (for the most part). Bitch all you want but they're just doing what they want, hah.

Also, I remember that speaker catching on fire! That shit was nuts.
01:25 AM on 01/23/12
drzafs
spinning free
User Info.
Also I wasn't a huge fan of the new album at first but its grown on me like crazy. Two thumbs up!
01:58 AM on 01/23/12
JEFF0OO
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
first of all....fuck you. breakdowns have been done to death. Enter Shikari's "twist" on them is very refreshing. In addition, they're not being lazy by putting elements of dubstep in their songs as opposed to chugging the whole time. (they usually incorporate the two together simultaneously, Meltdown is a perfect example of the dub-chugs) lastly, Rou has to create the production himself, using very intricate and precise (bitch to use and horribly user un-friendly) software. They're not being lazy, if anything they're putting more work into their music. so before you start critiquing someone on how lazy of a musician they're being; take the time and try to recreate the song your self and realize how much time and energy is put into creating the music in question. If you really want to listen to full breakdowns, I recommend that you go listen to Attack Attack's new album, because it's filled with about 38 mins of hardcore medicroty.
02:28 AM on 01/23/12
drzafs
spinning free
User Info.
first of all....fuck you.

Great way to bring your point across. Stay classy.
07:29 AM on 01/23/12
mrnubnub
User Info.

Replace? No. Accentuate maybe.

Oh and yeah, what JEFF said
07:52 AM on 01/23/12
Ravelle17
master of disaster
User Info.
What the fuck are you talking about? "Mothership"? They still play the entire song after the dubstep breakdown...the only other song I can think of is "The Jester" but they merely draw out the ending.
08:05 AM on 01/23/12
Chuck!
In Chip We Trust
User Info.
Quote:
I'll go with film instead of book, the online free documentary, Zeitgeist: Moving Forward.
It’s simply the most important thing one could watch at this moment in time. It is the premise for the most important movement of our generation.

lol. respect = lost
09:07 AM on 01/23/12
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Awesome. Can't wait to see them. Love the new album! Other albums not so much

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles