AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Mobile - Tomorrow Starts Today Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 7
Production 9
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.88
Musicianship 8.38
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9.38
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.13
Average: 88%
Inside AP.net

Mobile - Tomorrow Starts Today

Reviewed by: Steve Henderson (08/15/07)
Mobile Tomorrow Starts Today
Release Date: August 21, 2007
Record Label: The Militia Group

There is a reason that a lot of people believe that some of the best modern music is coming from Europe instead of the old US-of-A. Because, on a radio scale at least, it is essentially true. While Europe gives us gems like Idlewild, Snow Patrol and Keane, we trip over ourselves for Daughtry or Plain White T’s. Sure, that comparison might not be entirely fair, but when REM goes on its little hibernation streaks, American radio rock struggles to come up with anything of anthemic substance, and that is a clear problem.

Now, you might be asking – where do comparisons between these geographical regions enter into a review on a band from Canada? That is because, quite simply, Mobile is the type of band that sounds like they should hail from Manchester instead of Montreal, as their debut release Tomorrow Starts Today echoes in the vein of records British banner bands have been exporting to our shores for the last few decades.

After commencing on a rather mediocre (though energetic) note with the bounce-rock of “Montreal Calling,” Mobile is really able to get it in gear. “Tomorrow Starts Today” begins with a quiet type of fuzz – almost shoegaze-ish, but when the hook hits, singer Mat Joly sounds like Ash’s Timothy Wheeler at his most brash and bold. “Out Of My Head” then borders on a darker slant of dance-rock, from which another sharp turn is taken to reach “See Right Through Me,” which is an irrefutable highlight of the album. With crackling percussion driving a wailing array of keys, the music sets the tone for a huge track, but Joly really hits it home. Displaying brilliant vocal dynamics on verses, and then going full bore on the chorus, he ends up sounding like Noel Gallagher in his finest (Definitely Maybe and What's The Story Morning Glory?)days. The song, along with the equally bombastic “Scars” (where Joly does his best young Bono), gives a concise summary of why people should take note of this band.

While the rest of Tomorrow Starts Today cannot quite match the ultimate success of these main cuts, there is still a lot of top shelf material on the record. Whether it be the pensive euro-balladry of “Dusting Down the Stars,” the chunky riffs/massive hooks of “New York Minute,” or the ‘80s drive of “Lookin’ Out” – there is plenty to come back for. And there is certainly enough to help brush off the album’s few stumbling blocks. Plus, if it is not enough for fence-sitters to stack the pros and cons against each other and decide in turn, the patient majesty of the Rubyhose-esque closer (“Bleeding Words”) should convert even the most indecisive.

In the end, Mobile is one hell of a band, and it is amazing that they have gone unnoticed for so long here in the states, when they are but a border away. The Militia Group has done a great service by introducing domestic listeners to their brand of British-sounding arena rock. Mobile now has the sound to play the biggest stadiums out there…now all they need is the exposure and the fans to fill them. And with a record like Tomorrow Starts Today, that prospect seems like all but a sure thing.

Recommended if you like: Rubyhorse, U2, Idlewild, Coldplay, Snow Patrol, older Oasis, Ash

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 38
02:36 PM on 08/15/07
bankrom
breakin' up.
User Info.
on the nose. nice work, steve.
glad this record is finally coming out.
02:39 PM on 08/15/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
on the nose. nice work, steve.
glad this record is finally coming out.
Ha, I was just about to email you about this
02:40 PM on 08/15/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Oh, and to anyone that has a chance...SEE THIS BAND LIVE. They are insanely good, and it was really rad to see them in such a small venue when they sell out huge ones in Canada.
02:57 PM on 08/15/07
average_jane
poppunkjunkie.blogspot.co m
User Info.
this album makes my ears happy.
02:58 PM on 08/15/07
bnizzle
User Info.
amazing review.
thanks steve.
well done.
03:01 PM on 08/15/07
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
I'm kinda surprised this band did not get popular earlier in the States, and I bet it's pretty odd for them to do that good old promotion routine almost 2 years after their record was released in Canada.

On another note, they are more than amazing live. I've seen them last winter and it really did blow me away.

Oh, and any reason why they've changed their CD cover for the States?
03:16 PM on 08/15/07
kruz1023
duh
User Info.
great review...i was blown away when i saw them live
03:27 PM on 08/15/07
imtimwhoareyou
Student, photographer, etc.
User Info.
ZOMG THEY R NOT TEH COLD PLAY.

But really, well done Steve; and I've checked them out before but need to give them another chance... Seems like they've done something good here and have room to improve... Better jump on the bandwagon here...
03:42 PM on 08/15/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
ZOMG THEY R NOT TEH COLD PLAY.

But really, well done Steve; and I've checked them out before but need to give them another chance... Seems like they've done something good here and have room to improve... Better jump on the bandwagon here...
Haha, yeah it's really just the one song that sort of sounds like them. :)

Anyways, this album was a bit of a grower for me...didn't care for it much on first listen, but now I love it. So yeah, you ought to revisit it.
03:43 PM on 08/15/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I'm kinda surprised this band did not get popular earlier in the States, and I bet it's pretty odd for them to do that good old promotion routine almost 2 years after their record was released in Canada.

On another note, they are more than amazing live. I've seen them last winter and it really did blow me away.

Oh, and any reason why they've changed their CD cover for the States?
I talked to their bassist a little bit after their set and we discussed exactly this. Like how the venue sizes are different, no one knows them here, and how they might already be working on a new album if it weren't for this new promo cycle. Interesting indeed.
04:28 PM on 08/15/07
_all_star_me_
User Info.
Good review mate. Glad someone else like's it too.
04:33 PM on 08/15/07
imtimwhoareyou
Student, photographer, etc.
User Info.
Haha, yeah it's really just the one song that sort of sounds like them. :)

Anyways, this album was a bit of a grower for me...didn't care for it much on first listen, but now I love it. So yeah, you ought to revisit it.

I just don't want to hear the serious version of what I said... Hahaha...

I hope I like this on second listen...
07:12 PM on 08/15/07
johnnybb
paying dues
User Info.
Old album, but great review, and I really like this band.
10:15 PM on 08/15/07
Jason Tate
User Info.
Well written ... as always.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music