AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Enter Shikari - A Flash Flood of Colour Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.48
Musicianship 7.68
Lyrics 7.78
Production 7.72
Creativity 7.93
Lasting Value 7.65
Reviewer Tilt 7.45
Average: 77%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Enter Shikari - A Flash Flood of Colour

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (01/23/12)
Enter ShikariA Flash Flood of Colour
Release Date: January 17, 2012
Record Label: Hopeless

It was inevitable. You could sense it when Enter Shikari released a couple new songs that their new material was going to truly divide people. And after my first full listen of their new album, there was no doubt in my mind that A Flash Flood of Colour will be one of the most polarizing albums - both musically and lyrically - to release in 2012. Sure, they've always had that sort of aura to them, but with their third full length being their first release for Hopeless Records, this is an album that will be recognized by more listeners than every before, thus inciting a bigger reaction. It also doesn't hurt that, somewhere between their 2007 debut and now, dance/electronica/dubstep/etc. caught fire in America.

But instead of caring about how “edgy” their half-shaved mullet haircut looks, the English quartet is more concerned about raising awareness for numerous socio-political and environmental topics. The metaphor-heavy battle cry of intro track “System...” rises perfectly into the chaotic nature of “...Meltdown,” as the loaded artillery of an electronic-tinged breakdown will get you two-stepping instantaneously. Front man Rou Reynolds screams, “this is such exciting times to be alive” and urges listeners to unite together to force change. He bitingly reminds us that “you can grow but remember/empires always fall” on industrial powerhouse “Hello Tyrannosaurus, Meet Tyrannicide.” He also delivers sharp messages regarding global warming (the wobbly and brutal “Arguing With Thermometers”) and war profiteering (the powerful “Stalemate). Things get crazy (and extremely fun) during the unruly “Gandhi Mate, Gandhi,” which features punishing drum fills, drops, a laser show, and irate rants against a broken political system.

And just like Reynolds' lyrics, the musicianship throughout A Flash Flood of Colour pulls no punches as well. Drummer Rob Rolfe's aggressive work behind the kit paces “Warm Smiles Do Not Make You Welcome Here,” while the thrashy buoyancy (thanks to guitarist Rory Clewlow's frenetic riffs) of “Sssnakepit” shapes it into a killer anthem. “Search Party” shows Shikari's knack for creating melodic, catchy numbers, while the hyperactivity behind “Pack of Thieves” sets the tone for Reynolds' urgent yells.

You could argue that Enter Shikari is one of the few unique bands left in the scene. Prior to this release, they've had a somewhat up and down career, but with their third album it seems that the boys from St Albans, Hertfordshire have found their voice. A Flash Flood of Colour is daring, thought provoking, and utterly unpredictable, making it the first bold record of 2012 and Enter Shikari's defining moment. The quartet has a much bigger goal than just getting kids to dance to their breakdowns, rather they focus on putting a lot of substance into each track, hoping to inspire this generation to take a stand and make change amongst the broken systems throughout the world.

8/10

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. System...
2. ...Meltdown
3. Sssnakepit
4. Search Party
5. Arguing With Thermometers
6. Stalemate
7. Gandhi Mate, Gandhi
8. Warm Smiles Do Not Make You Welcome Here
9. Pack of Thieves
10. Hello Tyrannosaurus, Meet Tyrannicide
11. Constellations
Produced by: Dan Weller & Enter Shikari

Enter Shikari is:
Rou Reynolds — lead vocals, programming, keyboards, synthesizers, acoustic guitar
Rory Clewlow — guitars, backing vocals
Chris Batten — bass, backing vocals
Rob Rolfe — drums, percussion, backing vocals

Official AP.net Profile; Official Website; Official Facebook Page; Official Twitter Account

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 96
01:51 AM on 01/23/12
camperfrequency
Troy and Abed in the Morning!
User Info.
Can't wait to get this! I have to go by a store!
01:53 AM on 01/23/12
InfiniteArms
Foreign everywhere I've been
User Info.
r.i.p. headphones
02:02 AM on 01/23/12
Michael1002
Attack and Rescue Mikkelles
User Info.
I really like this record, each track contains so much instumental and lyrical. You also hear that Reynolds really figured out his voice and the message he and the band wants to carry out. Can't wait to see them live, cause they're shows are even better.
02:07 AM on 01/23/12
prospekt
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've listened to about half of this. Search Party and Stalemate stand out, but the rest of it sounds the same.
02:18 AM on 01/23/12
Gautz
Music makes life bearable!
User Info.
This album has set the bar high for 2012. Great review Drew.
03:36 AM on 01/23/12
AussieBoy
User Info.
sooooo good
only heavy+electronic done right on earth
03:58 AM on 01/23/12
MTGT
User Info.
Surprised at the no mention of Constellations as that song is so different from the rest of the songs on the album and is just so good lyrically.
05:11 AM on 01/23/12
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
You are certainly correct about this album being polarizing. Some could read that as a knock against ES, but I conisider the album's polarizing effect refreshing. This cookie-cutter scene could use a little anarchy once in a blue moon. Although certainly not perfect (for one, the songs tend to blend together and are a little formulaic) ES prove that a little mayhem every once in a while keeps people on their toes.
05:46 AM on 01/23/12
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
This band is the shape of punk that came.
06:13 AM on 01/23/12
Avalanche1
Keep running, keep shining on
User Info.
I like this album a lot more than I thought I would.
06:16 AM on 01/23/12
AgainstTheCurrent
Paranoid Humanoid.
User Info.
Love this band, and I really really dig the album. I was working out to it the other day... god damn I felt like a rocket ship. Good review.
06:19 AM on 01/23/12
DampPants4
User Info.
They're definitely interesting
06:38 AM on 01/23/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Surprised at the no mention of Constellations as that song is so different from the rest of the songs on the album and is just so good lyrically.
agreed that it's a great song, just didn't mention it because I couldn't find a good way to make it flow. But I will state that it's a really good song in the replies! haha
06:39 AM on 01/23/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
You are certainly correct about this album being polarizing. Some could read that as a knock against ES, but I conisider the album's polarizing effect refreshing. This cookie-cutter scene could use a little anarchy once in a blue moon. Although certainly not perfect (for one, the songs tend to blend together and are a little formulaic) ES prove that a little mayhem every once in a while keeps people on their toes.
agreed, I love polarizing music.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News