AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
My Big Beautiful - The Way Things Are: The Soundtrack... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8.5
Production 7.75
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

My Big Beautiful - The Way Things Are: The Soundtrack...

Reviewed by: Nathan Lint (08/18/07)
My Big Beautiful - The Way Things Are: The Soundtrack To My Life Vol. 1
Label: Fudge Sickill Records/ Underground Communique Records
Release Date: December 16th, 2006

Who?

My Big Beautiful is a veteran trio out of Joliet, Illinois who got back together in 2003 after a six year hiatus. They’re one of those bands that are mildly popular in and around the Chicago area, but few outside of that area have really even heard of the trio, which really should change.

How Is It?

Their second full length, The Way Things Are, is exactly what I thought it would sound like when I requested the cd. It sounds like classic Chicago pop punk. It sounds like bands like the Smoking Popes, Screeching Weasel, Naked Raygun, and the Alkaline Trio all smashed together to make one delicious Big Beautiful sandwich. The Way Things Are starts off with, “The Triumphant Return Of The Kid With The Misspelled Name”, which sounds like it could’ve came out in 1997 or 1987 as much as 2007. Singer Steev Custer’s voice fits the music. “Prove ‘Em All Wrong” picks up where “Triumphant Return” left off with positive lyrics like “If you stumble, if you fall, remember one thing after all. Give it your best and don’t lose sight and everything will be allright”. Some other tracks that are definitely worth checking out are “People, Places, and Things” which starts off with a muffy acoustic intro, “Do Something Right For Once”, which is only about a minute and a half long but is just as worthy of checking out as the rest. The acoustic track “Duality” shows that veterans can do it just as well, if not better than all those kids that think they’re a gift to the world. The final track, “Last Night’s Great Idea” is just a great pop punk song, and a great finisher. The Way Things Are seriously could fit in with your 90’s collection, and as long as these veteran Chicago bands keep making music, Chicago won’t completely be considered “Fueled by Chicago”.

Sounds Like90's Chicago Pop Punk, Alkaline Trio, Smoking Popes, Green Day, Face To Face

www.myspace.com/mybigbeautiful

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums