Username
Password
Recording News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Recording
Inside AP.net

The Bouncing Souls Studio Update

Posted by: Jason Tate (01/27/12)
The Bouncing Souls have updated the world from the studio.
Message from the BandThey have an amazing system here set up with Bill, Jason [Livermore, engineer] and all the guys that work here. We went really intense. Everyone tracks—you’ve got guitar tracking in one place, bass and vocals in another place and editing—all at the same time, so it’s just a really cool system where you get a lot of man hours in a short amount of time because things are going on in different places. We got an amazing-sounding record in just ten days.

That energy and urgency translated to the finished product, which sounds as if it’ll be the most direct material the Bouncing Souls have cut to tape in several years, with no curveballs, cover songs or B-sides. “We were like, ‘Okay, we want to get in a room together and take the spirit out of what we did years ago and what we’ve learned and try to get inspired with that energy into it and make a punk record. So for our style, a Bouncing Souls punk record, we told Bill about it and he was just stoked as hell. He said ‘Let’s bang out ten songs and just put the energy into it. Make it spontaneous and just get it down like we used to without tinkering and getting deeply into songwriting.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
09:49 AM on 01/27/12
Truffle Shuffle
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Pretty happy with the balance we get from these guys - this sounds like it may be in the vein of Anchors Away. I highly enjoyed some of the slower-tempo songs from their song a month project two years ago (Airport Security, Ghosts on the Boardwalk), so something a little more raw and immediate is a nice change-up for the next release.
10:07 AM on 01/27/12
punk89
User Info.
I was just in there two days ago with all of them. I had no idea it was The Bouncing Souls... I just heard a whole lotta punk coming from the other room. Haha!
10:08 AM on 01/27/12
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
Pretty happy with the balance we get from these guys - this sounds like it may be in the vein of Anchors Away. I highly enjoyed some of the slower-tempo songs from their song a month project two years ago (Airport Security, Ghosts on the Boardwalk), so something a little more raw and immediate is a nice change-up for the next release.

exactly, Ghosts on the Boardwalk was a nice mellower departure for them, but it also had some rocking moments, which made it a pretty disjointed/inconsistent effort, not cohesive, due to the prolonged writing/recording process they had for it (a full year).

The Blasting Room tends to deliver fantastic albums. Knocking it out in 10 days and recording as a band should lead to a more energetic, cohesive and classic sounding souls album.

I like their departures into mellower territory, but ont he whole their fans got into them because of their mre classic, 2:00 blasts of upbeat, anthemic punk songs.
10:09 AM on 01/27/12
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
I was just in there two days ago with all of them. I had no idea it was The Bouncing Souls... I just heard a whole lotta punk coming from the other room. Haha!

uhh that might have been Hot Water Music...they're booked at the Blasting Room right now i thought...
10:15 AM on 01/27/12
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
I can't wait for this!
10:23 AM on 01/27/12
satanisanerd
User Info.
This is going to be really great. Can't wait to hear it.
10:29 AM on 01/27/12
punk89
User Info.
uhh that might have been Hot Water Music...they're booked at the Blasting Room right now i thought...
It could have been. I just know Bill was working with them, so I assumed. Pretty cool either way.
11:00 AM on 01/27/12
Truffle Shuffle
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
exactly, Ghosts on the Boardwalk was a nice mellower departure for them, but it also had some rocking moments, which made it a pretty disjointed/inconsistent effort, not cohesive, due to the prolonged writing/recording process they had for it (a full year).

The Blasting Room tends to deliver fantastic albums. Knocking it out in 10 days and recording as a band should lead to a more energetic, cohesive and classic sounding souls album.

I like their departures into mellower territory, but ont he whole their fans got into them because of their mre classic, 2:00 blasts of upbeat, anthemic punk songs.
i.e. it's not the heat, it's the humanity (which still gets a lot of play from this guy)
11:26 AM on 01/27/12
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
So rad! Can't wait to hear it..June can't come sooner
11:32 AM on 01/27/12
cowlord
( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
User Info.
June, huh? Wouldn't be too surprised to see this band on Warped.
12:06 PM on 01/27/12
DannyCostellar
Costellar / Danny
User Info.
Fuck Yeah!
12:15 PM on 01/27/12
MJSchmidt
Hang 'em high or not at all
User Info.
This is awesome! I can't wait to hear what they come up with. Between the past couple releases and Greg's solo stuff, I can definitely see the appeal of making another "punk" record again. I have no doubt it will be great either.
12:18 PM on 01/27/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
June, huh? Wouldn't be too surprised to see this band on Warped.
Yeah they're not on Warped.
04:45 PM on 01/27/12
246toothpicks
User Info.
Sounds good to me
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music