Password

Album Review
Captain of Compliments - Captain of Compliments EP Album Cover

Captain of Compliments - Captain of Compliments EP

Reviewed by
Captain of Compliments Captain of Compliments EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: May 13, 2007
It didn't take a house to fall on me to finally realize unique bands are few and far between.

Sometimes I listen to a group and I wonder what makes them famous. Why do people like them? Is it the music? The vocals? The image? Most bands today sound almost exactly the same. It's odd to think that someone could say, "I love this band, but I hate this band" when in reality the two are almost painstakingly the same. It's for this reason I enjoy when a band branches out for a different sound, a different feel. Captain of Compliments is that band. An unsigned quartet from Lancaster, Pennsylvania, Captain of Compliments are a hardcore outfit with a bit of an indie sound.

Not afraid to throw genres out the window, these guys are truly something. It's tough to describe the type of music they play, because I find it to be unlike most other bands I've heard. The vocals wonderfully anchor their music and are the first thing that grabbed my attention, simply for the fact that they don't fit into the typical hardcore band sound. I was expecting to hear the same old guitar riffs I've heard a million times mixed with a vocal sound of almost any hard indie rock group out there. I was wrong.

The music changes with every song; each one brings something new and exciting. The first song "Driven" is a slower one with a steady riff and quite emotional vocals. I was extremely impressed on the first song and to my surprise it only got better. "What Do You Say?, my favorite song on the EP, is paced almost the same The lyrics and vocals on the song are also my favorite on the entire piece of music. A great chorus mixed with a good melody and just you get a great song, these guys make it look so easy. A great touch to the song is how they speed up the pace during the chorus. You expect a slower type of song, and then just like that the catalyst kicks in. The catchiest song on the EP is "Tap Those Heels, Dorothy" which not only has a great name but was playing over and over in my head during the past few days. I was having a conversation with my sister just yesterday and out of nowhere I started singing the opening verse. I love when music imprints like that in your memory, because it's so rare that it happens, and when it does you want to hear more. Captain of Compliments is a band that pushes the limits of genre and defines their own with it's the catchy guitar riffs or the incredible vocals.

The one great thing about music is you don't have to have a reason for liking it. I can't consummately describe what a band is like, I can only hope to help you believe that they are as good as I personally think they are. Captain of Compliments are the real deal and I can't wait to hear more music from a band that I so enjoy. I hope you chose to relish the same sound that I have come to love over the past few weeks.

Captain of Compliments areBrandon Gepfer - Vocals
Nathan Arndt - Bass
Dylan Johnson - Guitar
Ted Best - Drums

Captain of Compliments was influenced by At the Drive-In, The Fall of Troy, Sunny Day Real Estate, Texas is the Reason

Myspace | Virb
This review is a user submitted review from Broken Parachute. You can see all of Broken Parachute's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
10:21 PM on 08/26/07
vandalsandquinn
But we will ne'er be broken hearted
User Info.
The band is pretty good, nice review.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles