AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 7 posts.
01:52 PM on 01/29/12
cwhit412
User Info.
I hate how everyone who hasn't read the book Moneyball has no clue what the thing is actually about.
Anyways, very curious to see what people mention here.
05:58 PM on 01/29/12
cwhit412
User Info.
The Downtown Fiction are an amazing band with so much potential. If they were on Hopeless or Fearless I could see them doing big things.

Local band for me here. The two eps were fantastic, but they fell into the same trap that bands like Artist vs Poet, A Rocket To the Moon, and more, where they release great EPs but its too boring and monotonous for a full length.
06:02 PM on 01/29/12
cwhit412
User Info.
The point of Moneyball was that they were purposefully not taking the most talented players, since they couldn't afford them; they were taking guys who could do one thing really well, and that was hit the baseball. They were bad or average defenders and everything else, but they could just hit. There's a reason why one-trick players don't have a big role in professional sports; why do I want a really good 3-point shooter in basketball if he gets scored on during every defensive possession? There are certain niches for those types of players, but other than that, I'm really enjoying those Winterpills songs that were posted.
There we go.
I hate dramatized the movie was, and how it kinda lost the point of the book. Loved the book, mostly because I'm a huge saber guy.
06:04 PM on 01/29/12
cwhit412
User Info.
Except not really cause Defense was part or the WAR and runs produced/allowed stats they used as well. OPS wasn't the only thing they looked at. Most of the things that he disagreed with were the small ball baseball of stolen bases, sacrifice bunts and wasted outs.

WAR was still in the growing process att the point of the book. It wasn't quite WAR he was working with, it was just the created runs aspect. Defense was highly disregarded (see how they just threw Hatteberg onto first).
07:37 PM on 01/29/12
cwhit412
User Info.
American Diary
Armor For Sleep
Attracted To Miss
Barely Blind
The Boy and His Machine
The Boys of Summer
The Call Out
Callahan
City Lights
Day At The Fair
Driving East
Dropout Year
E For Explosion
Every You
The Fastest Kid Alive
Forgive Durden
The Goodnight Anthem
Holiday Parade
Honor Bright
I Call Fives
iamdavidcook
JamisonParker
Love, She Wrote
Major League
My Girl Friday
Nevertheless
Oh, The Story!
Racing Kites
The Real You
Red Car Wire
Saving Litchfield
State Champs
Take Cover
This Providence
True Things
Vega Under Fire
With The Punches
The Years Gone By
Love She Wrote makes me pissed off that the idiots from that band started Vampires Everywhere.
08:47 PM on 01/29/12
cwhit412
User Info.
I think in the book they talk about them using a defensive metric that they developed in house. It's been a while since I read it so that might not be exactly right, but I'm pretty sure they were using defensive metrics during the time of that book.
Not too sure. I haven't read it in a while.
It kind of upsets me that the movie came out, because it's pretty much entirely different from the book. Wish they had renamed it or something...
09:05 PM on 01/29/12
cwhit412
User Info.
I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't comment on that. I'm not too surprised though. It's not a dramatic book IMO so it would make a bad movie without being altered.
I mean, it was definitely a good movie. But I just couldn't shake it from my head the whole time that it was entirely as the book.
I wish they had put a little bit more statistical references in it...
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests