Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

Neil Young: Piracy is the New Radio

Posted by: Jason Tate (02/01/12)
Neil Young recently spoke at D:Dive into Media, and made an interesting statement that "piracy is the new radio."
From the ArticleIt doesn't affect me because I look at the internet as the new radio. I look at the radio as gone. [...] Piracy is the new radio. That's how music gets around. [...] That's the radio. If you really want to hear it, let's make it available, let them hear it, let them hear the 95 percent of it.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
11:23 AM on 02/01/12
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
Wow, that's a really interesting perspective.
11:28 AM on 02/01/12
Brandonmorrill
User Info.
Class act, that Neil Young.
11:30 AM on 02/01/12
LivingTheLyrics
What you feel will rarely rhyme.
User Info.
Neil Young is and ways will be the man.
11:30 AM on 02/01/12
cwhit412
User Info.
Wow, that's a really interesting perspective.
Agreed. Hope people see this and take it to heart.
11:33 AM on 02/01/12
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
Agreed. Hope people see this and take it to heart.
I still don't agree with piracy (its stealing), but I think that if different websites, including itunes, took this kind of approach then it might lessen the amount of illegal downloads. Free streaming could totally be the new radio. Saying that piracy can be is taking it a little far because its not like the radio was costing artists money back in Neil's heyday.
12:10 PM on 02/01/12
sjb2k1
User Info.
i love spotify for this very reason. free streaming of nearly everything i want to hear. i never listen to traditional radio anymore, unless it's diane rehm on NPR. i love her.
12:26 PM on 02/01/12
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
The Piracy and the Damage Done
12:30 PM on 02/01/12
drudo182
You Are Not Alone
User Info.
Neil Young gets it.
12:42 PM on 02/01/12
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I still don't agree with piracy (its stealing), but I think that if different websites, including itunes, took this kind of approach then it might lessen the amount of illegal downloads. Free streaming could totally be the new radio. Saying that piracy can be is taking it a little far because its not like the radio was costing artists money back in Neil's heyday.

Free streaming SHOULD be the new radio. I don't get why (more) people aren't using Spotify and the like instead of pirating . The $10 a month one has completely eliminated the need for me to pirate anything.
12:54 PM on 02/01/12
moronindisguise
User Info.
This is brilliant. Do artist's get any amount of money for spotify or pandora plays? I agree that free streaming is radio 2.0
01:07 PM on 02/01/12
NoUse2808
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i love spotify for this very reason. free streaming of nearly everything i want to hear. i never listen to traditional radio anymore, unless it's diane rehm on NPR. i love her.
This.
01:46 PM on 02/01/12
eastcoast-fu
lng lv th cr crsh hrts
User Info.
Not brilliant. He misses the point. Downloading is about on-demand access to what you want and the side effect is mass distribution of CD quality audio with almost no effort. Radio does not provide you with what you want on-demand. Distribution is en masse but audio quality is poor.

I'm on the same side as Young but this side won't win with intellectually lazy arguments.
03:49 PM on 02/01/12
Dat4
User Info.
Streaming and piracy are completely different things. Piracy is just the current version of taking something from a store.
04:40 PM on 02/01/12
funnydave
speak but a whisper...
User Info.
Streaming and piracy are completely different things. Piracy is just the current version of taking something from a store.

Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests