AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

10:13 AM on 03/19/12 
User Info.
kimisaurus8123
No Avatar Selected
Female
I think every college student has come across tihs at some point or another.
If you really believe that taking a semester off would give you peace of mind, you may opt for that but it may hinder your gradutation time by 1-2 years and you may have to re-apply to the school you're attending now and start the whole process over again like we had to go through stupid junior year of highschool >_>

I've felt this way too and really I still do but I just feel liek I've tolerated college for so long that I can do it for another 4 semesters...
10:37 AM on 03/19/12 
User Info.
gusta0117
nacho abalafa barnacle loofties
Lancaster, PA
Male - 26 Years Old
I've been feeling this way lately but I'm in my last semester of college.
Although during my sophomore year I left school feeling that it wasn't for me. I left and worked for almost two years and I loved it. I wasn't making much money but I had a lot of time to do whatever I wanted to. I had no real stress during those two years "off" but then I ended up coming back and started getting better grades.

Take your time and do what you want to do. Find a job, hang out with some friends, and just relax.
10:40 AM on 03/19/12 
User Info.
loganarchy
Can I still get into heaven if I ki
vermont/atlanta
Male - 21 Years Old
yeah I am going through this right now. I think I may be going through depression as well... I think I just gotta step back from college for a year and sort out my problems. or at the very least just take community college classes. The "college environment" fucking drains all happiness out of me, and every weekend is the same (alcohol + weed)
07:42 PM on 03/26/12 
User Info.
TidingsFromSean
I saw water
Male - 23 Years Old
I've felt this way too, the good news is you're only a freshman. I took off the first semester of my junior year and now I'm way behind. I worked a full time, salary job (through a connection I have, haha) and made some serious money for a 20 year old...but I hated it WAY more than I thought I hated school. I'm back in college now and I'm kicking ass. Sometimes you need to take a step back and gain a different perspective. It's gonna be worth it if you hang in there, bud.
11:34 AM on 04/02/12 
User Info.
JPA917
@JPA05
Murfreesboro, TN
Male - 21 Years Old
I'm not necessarily hopeless, but I'm totally at my whit's end as to what to do with the situation I'm in. I'm currently a 2nd semester Freshman, student-athlete, on athletic scholarship, and I hate every second of what I'm currently doing. I have played baseball since I can remember and I believe I have fallen out of love with the game as quickly as I fell in love with it. I was very close to transferring in the fall, but I decided to be tough and ride this year out since I hate not finishing what I start.

This extra time has given me plenty time to weigh things on my mind. I have an incredible gift in my ability to play the game of baseball, but it's just not my passion anymore. Even more, if there is one thing in life that I absolutely hate doing, it is letting people down. My parents have poured so much effort and money into my education and my playing baseball, and I feel like changing directions will totally let them down. Mostly, I want to be able to pour my heart into my schooling. Being a student-athlete, especially at a smaller school with lower budgets for tutors and whatnot, is not easy at all and has had an effect on not only my grades but also my commitment to learning.

Basically I'm just asking for some feedback, positive or negative. Hell, you can tell me that I'm a spoiled student-athlete for all I care. I haven't had the nerve to tell anyone about the decisions I have been weighing on my mind so I figured someone on here could provide some type of feedback.
11:36 PM on 04/03/12 
User Info.
Florence95
No Avatar Selected
Female - 30 Years Old
I think I am !
03:17 PM on 04/04/12 
User Info.
indierock413
No Avatar Selected
State College, PA
Male - 26 Years Old
nothing is really worth doing unless you're willing to invest the effort in it necessary to get something positive out of it.
02:32 PM on 04/05/12 
User Info.
simplified64
trying to figure it out
No Avatar Selected
Tucson, Arizona
Male - 23 Years Old
I'm a 2nd semester freshmen at a university. Undecided. No idea what to do with my life. Hate school.
So what i'm planning to do after this semester is drop out of this school and either go to community college or take a semester off.
I just feel like i'm wasting money taking classes and doing the whole college thing with no point.
Anyone else in/been a similar situation and how did you go about it?

I'm pretty much in the same boat. But its actually pretty smart, if you don't have a good scholarship, to drop out-- go to a community college that transfers all credits for another year and 1/2. Then transfer back your junior year-- and you've prob saved yourself thousands of $$$$$$$$$$$$. Especially if you are not happy. College though is a necessity. You should graduate, College if anything gives you a buffer time to figure out what to do. if you do drop out, your not going to go anywhere with your life fast.

Join clubs, try to meet people, get involved, is my best advice. Like try a new club a semester. or even like 5. Just decide on something as for your major. Going in a direction is a lot better than going in no direction at all-- even if you dont like it. thats exactly what im having to do now...

good luck though!
01:07 PM on 02/05/13 
User Info.
samantha83
No Avatar Selected
Female - 21 Years Old
Hahahahahah! You suck! Seriously. Why don't you just kill yourself? I mean your life serves no purpose anyway. And you will be doing your future children a HUGE favor. Loser!
02:20 PM on 02/05/13 
User Info.
DylanPPPP
snooch to the nooch mother fucker
Saginaw, MI
Male - 20 Years Old
Wow. That's the worst attempt at trolling I've probably ever seen.
08:02 AM on 02/06/13 
User Info.
Angela_Mastro
Owner Infectious Mag/Muddy Paw PR
Boston, MA
Female - 25 Years Old
Don't go to college if you're not there to learn, expand your worldview, and challenge yourself intellectually. (This isn't meant to sound condescending, but it may. I just mean that college is about the studying and hardcore mastery of a specific subject, which isn't something everyone (most people?) are really that interested in spending time on.)

I never understood why people (and by "people," I usually mean parents) treat college like a trade school. If you're looking for job training there are appropriate places that cost less and will give you much better opportunities in the long run (business schools, computer science schools, trad schools, culinary arts academies, etc.). Universities just really aren't designed to do that and they're certainly not a cure-all or ideal situation for everybody.

"Go to college so you can get a good job" just seems like the biggest lie that kids are force fed on a regular basis that no one seems to be calling them on. (And this is from someone who wants to teach at a college for a living.)

EDIT: But if you don't know what you want to do, community college is an ideal solution as they're great places to kind of find yourself and get a lot of your general education stuff that most places want you to have anyway out of the way.

I think this is some of the best advice in the thread, especially the last big. College does not equal a guaranteed "good job" anymore. If you aren't wholeheartedly in it, get out or switch, because you're getting yourself into a LOT (and I do mean a lot) of debt for no reason.

As someone who graduated about a year and a half ago (and it took me 8 months to find work) you really don't want to meander around trying to figure life out, going through the motions and accumulating massive debt. At the same time, you don't want to transfer schools too much, because you'll lose a lot of credits (and money) by doing that.

But I do agree that community college is the best way to go if you're still figuring out a path, and frankly, even if you're not. It's a lot cheaper, you get a lot of Gen Eds out of the way, and it gives you time to breathe.
09:24 PM on 02/07/13 
User Info.
wecameaswaffles
Alternately Thrilled & Desperate
University of Mass..
Female - 17 Years Old
Hahahahahah! You suck! Seriously. Why don't you just kill yourself? I mean your life serves no purpose anyway. And you will be doing your future children a HUGE favor. Loser!

11:54 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
thesinkingship
she's a marshmallow
Tralfamadorian
Take your prereqs at a community college if you can (make sure they'll transfer). There's no reason you HAVE to go straight into college if you think it would be better for you to wait. Plenty of people go to college later and do just fine.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets