AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Thursday Discussion: My Favorite Albums From The...

Posted by: Jason Tate (02/02/12)
I'm unsure if we're ever going to be able to top last week's "Thursday Discussion" post, because that was definitely one of the highlights of the feature for me. However, it's a new day - and that means we aim big. Since we've been having a lot of fun with the "nostalgia-tinged" posts of the past few weeks, I decided to stay on that track. And since we've been having a lot of good discussions around the "2001-2003" era of music, I think that's where I'll start this week's list. I am picking my top 10 albums from that time frame. Basically, I consider every single one of these records a classic and a "must own" - and looking at it now: holy hell what a great time for music. I think what I'm most shocked about is how many albums I ended up having to leave out. These are my stranded-on-an-island, top of the top, can't live without albums from this era.

Check 'um out - let me know what you think (and if you've never been exposed to these before, you should probably get on that). And, of course, head to the replies to add your own list of your favorite albums released from 2001-2003 (Wikipedia does a good job of letting you know original release dates). Oh, and I made a conscious decision to not include any of the albums from the DTR roster since we covered that in such detail last week. This is for the other albums that showed up around that time. Also, over the past few years I've discovered a lot of other music that was released around this period; however, I'm not including albums I wasn't actively listening to when they came out. Have to put a few rules on myself - otherwise I'd lose my mind.

Do you remember where you were when you first heard these?

1) Brand New - Deja Entendu
(June 17th, 2003)
NoteArguably my favorite album of all time. This album changed so much for me it's hard to actually put it into words. My musical tastes: changed, what I thought music should sound like: changed ... and even how music could impact, and quite literally save my life: changed. It was one of those once in a lifetime kind of experiences that I'll probably forever be chasing. The perfect culmination of events led to this album finding me when it did, and because of it I'll never be the same. It remains a staple of my collection -- and I'll forever be thankful that it exists.

Listen: Rdio - Spotify

2) Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends (March 26th, 2002)
NoteThis album showed up during my first year of college. The first time I heard it, I had an undeniable feeling it was about to drastically shift music. It was like Saves the Day and Thursday had a threesome with Lifetime. Probably my most played album of the entire year - maybe the greatest "break-up" album I have ever taken as musical medication. The raw passion. The dual vocals. The kind of change in musical tastes it inspired. The long road trips played at full volume. If DTR bands defined the pop-punk side of 2002, "Tell All Your Friends" defined everything else.

3) Cursive - The Ugly Organ
(March 4th, 2003)
NoteCursive will forever be trying to live up to this album in my mind. As soon as "Some Red-Handed Sleight of Hand" kicks in you're drawn into a world of metaphorical copulation. There isn't a bad song on the album - it's just music meant to be played loud while you scream along. I caught this toward the tail end of 2003, when an AP.net staffer (long retired) made me promise I'd check it out. Thanks Jake. I owe you so much from over the years, and we can add Cursive to the list.

4) Bright Eyes - Lifted or The Story Is in the Soil..
(August 13th, 2002)
NoteBe honest: how many albums have you ever checked out because of a girl?

This is one of mine.

While in college there was this really cool, cute, quirky girl who listened to stuff like Death Cab, Planes Mistaken for Stars, and this band called "Bright Eyes." I was the dork who loved his Blink 182, Yellowcard, and Rufio records. One night we were hanging out in her dorm room, and she put on this album. It was one of those perfect storms (ok, it was the cute girl hypnotizing me) that led to one of the best music listening experiences I can remember. Laying there on the floor in the dark ... trying to figure out just what the hell this guy was saying, and catching little pieces of lyrics I was convinced were nothing short of genius. What a night.

Over the years I can probably count on one hand the number of times someone in my "real life" (compared to the interwebz) has introduced me to a new band. This is one of them. Forever thankful.

5) Fall Out Boy - Take This To Your Grave
(May 6th, 2003)
NoteI'd make the argument that "Take This To Your Grave" - which came out mid-way through 2003 - is what started the power-shift in the pop-punk world. At this point, I think it's up there with "Enema of the State" as one of the greatest pop-punk albums of all time. Yep. I went there. Until this moment, every kid starting a band tried to sing like Jordan Pundik, and then almost overnight it seemed like everyone wanted to sing like Patrick and write like Pete. You can try to hate on them all you want for the success they inevitable saw, but they made a dent on our musical lives like few ever did.

6) Saves the Day - Stay What You Are (July 10th, 2001)
NoteBefore Brand New were heralded for changing up their "standard" sound on each album -- there was Saves the Day. This release finds them unleashing an album, that at the time, seemed like a giant departure from their previous classic. And what an album it is. For me, I think this is the band at its best. This just captured my attention in a way few albums ever have. Cuttingly personal lyrics. Brilliantly careful tone. These songs became the anthem of our underground.

7) Alkaline Trio - From Here to Infirmary (April 3rd, 2001)
NoteThis is about to date me pretty bad: but I bought this album without having ever heard a single song from it. I don't remember what it was that convinced me -- maybe the Vagrant Records' sticker? I think someone had told me they sounded like a demon Blink-182 or something. I was quickly possessed. There was a witty playfulness to the lyrics and a dark demeanor that just filled my "I want out of the fucking house" heart. Classic.

8) Blink 182 - Take Off Your Pants and Jacket
(June 12th, 2001)
NoteThis album came out right around the month I graduated high-school. You have to remember that this was when I was full on blink-182 fanboy. I believe AP.net was still mostly a Blink 182 fan-site at that point in time. I wanted every Atticus shirt. I wanted to live the life of the crazy California kids that sang about heartbreak and always looked like they were having fun. I played this album religiously that summer before I left for college, and wouldn't be who I am without it.

9) Thursday - Full Collapse (April 10th, 2001)
NoteHow do you adequately describe what Thursday did with this album? I'm just sitting here looking at my screen with no real way to put into words how this record changed me. Fuck that -- how it changed so many of us. Lyrically one of the most intense albums I've ever heard. I can recall hours pouring over the lyrics on my bed, replaying songs - over and over again. This was quite unlike anything I'd ever heard before. You have to remember that most of us hadn't ever been exposed to something like this before ... there wasn't really an establishment of fans for this music yet. This was spine-tingling new. We hadn't tasted it before ... but now we were ready for every last drop.

10) Thrice - Illusion of Safety (February 5th, 2002)
NoteThrice will go down as one of the most important bands in my life. They were there for me when I was questioning everything, and they provided a power only music can. Dustin's lyrics resonated in such a personal way, and this was the album that introduced me to the band. Just picture little pop-punk me getting this album in the mail in early 2002. I had no idea what was about to happen when I hit play. But I know that by the end of the year - I couldn't get enough. The spark was ignited.

"Faith, is not something that I grasp. It's something that I fake.."

PS: If any of you have a good idea for a "Thursday Discussion" - please hit me up (either via email, PM, or twitter) and I'll add it to my ever growing evernote document. And for those that saw my tweet about this being to 2004, sorry - typo. Just adding that date puts Say Anything, JEW, Midtown, Name Taken, and countless others in the mix ... damn. Maybe next week we do the next 4 years or something.

PPS: Having to leave "Ocean Ave." off this list killed me.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 354
02:30 PM on 02/02/12
anamericangod
User Info.
Deja Entendu was such a perfect combination of so many things at the right time, I don't think anything has come close to replicating what that record accomplished when it was released. People might say it's not the "best" Brand New album, but there was something magical about that point in time when that album came out.
02:31 PM on 02/02/12
AvengeCasper
User Info.
i really enjoy this list. it's spot on in everything.

i was just about to write about Ocean Avenue - but you beat me to it in the PPS.
02:31 PM on 02/02/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Love the Cursive mention, and I adore all 10 of these records. When I get home I'll add mine.
02:32 PM on 02/02/12
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
I was alot younger back then, but here is mine:
During Those Years
All Killer, No Filler-Sum 41
The Young and the Hopeless-Good Charlotte
Sticks and Stones-New Found Glory
Does This Look Infected-Sum 41
The All-American Rejects-The All-American Rejects
Start Static-Sugarcult

A few years later, I discovered Tell All Your Friends by Taking Back Sunday, Take This To Your Grave by Fall Out Boy, and the first Hawthorne Heights album.
02:33 PM on 02/02/12
Johnny Minardi
User Info.
Amazing list! I very much look forward to all of your "Thursday Discussions" especially lately because you make me forget I'm 28 for a few minutes while I read my thoughts from your brain.
02:33 PM on 02/02/12
AvengeCasper
User Info.
Although not nearly as successful, I also think Something Corporate's Leaving Through the Window makes a fine honorable mention.

Although I'm slightly biased, I would also say The Used kind of had a similar effect that Thursday had - in a sense that not as many people were aware of what kind of sound the music scene could develop into.
02:35 PM on 02/02/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Amazing list! I very much look forward to all of your "Thursday Discussions" especially lately because you make me forget I'm 28 for a few minutes while I read my thoughts from your brain.
I do it for all us late 20 somethings.
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
By the way, those years were the best in music, I left out TOYPAJ, it was too obvious
Jason Tate
User Info.
I was alot younger back then, but here is mine:
During Those Years
All Killer, No Filler-Sum 41
The Young and the Hopeless-Good Charlotte
Sticks and Stones-New Found Glory
Does This Look Infected-Sum 41
The All-American Rejects-The All-American Rejects
Start Static-Sugarcult

A few years later, I discovered Tell All Your Friends by Taking Back Sunday, Take This To Your Grave by Fall Out Boy, and the first Hawthorne Heights album.
I originally had that AAR album in my top 30 or so I had to whittle this down from...
02:36 PM on 02/02/12
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Although this generation didn't have an impact on me at the time (I was 8-10 years old haha) I came to love AFI's Sing the Sorrow. It was one of the first albums I listened to with any form of screaming on it (Death of Seasons) and when I first listened to it around age 14-15 it was a completely different experience for me. So many different styles, speeds, and songwriting techniques blew this out of the water for me. Arguably, this album led me to Silverstein's Discovering the Waterfront a little bit later, which completely changed the direction my musical tastes went to this day.
02:37 PM on 02/02/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
This is almost too hard to do; these two years (2002-2003) made up arguably the two best years of my life in a lot of ways, music being a big part of that.

For starters, all of Jason's list (minus Blink) is definitely up for consideration, especailly TBS, Brand New, and Bright Eyes.

Also, does anyone remember Desaparecidos?
02:38 PM on 02/02/12
Manufactured Dreams
Fabricated Revolution
User Info.
Such an amazing time for pop punk! My favorite album of that era is unsurprisingly TTTYG. It changed my life.
02:38 PM on 02/02/12
AvengeCasper
User Info.
I originally had that AAR album in my top 30 or so I had to whittle this down from...
I am intrigued as to what your top 30 are now that you said that!
02:39 PM on 02/02/12
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
User Info.
Bleed American?!?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music