AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Fightstar - One Day Son, This Will All Be Yours Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.46
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 8.71
Production 9.14
Creativity 9.21
Lasting Value 9.36
Reviewer Tilt 9.68
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Fightstar - One Day Son, This Will All Be Yours

Reviewed by: Joe DeAndrea (08/22/07)
Fightstar - One Day Son, This Will Be All Yours
Release Date: September 24th, 2007
Record Label: Gut Records

It's been nearly three years since the split of powerpop-trio Busted. While teenage girls, including myself, tried to find ways to rekindle their broken hearts, guitarist Charlie Simpson wasted no time forming a new band. At first I was skeptic toward Fightstar because of the new sound I was hearing on their debut Grand Unification, since the album is in no way, shape or form Busted number two. After a few listens, Grand Unification grew on me. It became one of the first albums I enjoyed that didn't fall into a genre I usually listened to. Now a year and a half later, Fightstar is ready to release their second album One Day Son, This Will Be All Yours.

Lyrically, One Day Son is quite different from Grand Unification. Grand Unification is a concept album based off the popular Japanese manga series Neon Genesis Evangelion, while One Day Son was written from a more personal stand point after the culmination of a seven year relationship of Simpson's. Besides the lyrical content changing, the music has changed as well. Songs are more melodic at times than they were on their debut, which is evident in One Day Son's opener "99." The first single "We Apologize For Nothing" follows the same route as "99" but is vocally reminiscent of Grand Unification when Simpson and guitarist Alex Westaway switch off vocal duties. Simpson's best vocal performance, however, comes in the next song "Floods." This song is driven by guitar and piano and contains a catchy chorus, easily making it my favorite off of the album.

Along with some songs being more melodic, some are also much harder. A perfect example of this is "Deathcar," a schizophrenic tune that punches you in the mouth with its first verse, stitches you up with its second, all leading up to a big chorus that re-opens the wound. If you like the direction One Day Son takes with "Deathcar," you'll surely enjoy " H.I.P. (Enough)" and "Tannhauser," the tracks that are no doubt the hardest the band's ever written. One Day Son closes with the relaxing "Unfamiliar Ceilings," featuring soft female vocals and a kick drum while lacking the big guitar riffs that are present in almost all of the songs in this album.

Overall, One Day Son, This Will Be All Yours is a huge improvement from Grand Unification. It's the perfect follow-up that had everything their debut was missing. Despite its minor flaws, One Day Son, This Will Be All Yours is definitely Fightstar's best work to date and surely won't be a disappointment to fans.

Recommended If You LikeFuneral For A Friend, Deftones, Hopesfall
Additional InformationTrack Listing
01. 99
02. We Apologize For Nothing
03. Floods
04. One Day Son
05. Deathcar
06. I Am The Message
07. You & I
08. Amaze Us
09. H.I.P. (Enough)
10. Tannhauser
11. Our Last Common Ancestor
12. Unfamiliar Ceilings

Official Website
Order The Album

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
04:35 PM on 08/22/07
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
Very good band.
05:48 PM on 08/22/07
adozenroses
Sittin' Sidewayz
User Info.
a good band indeed and a great record
07:30 PM on 08/22/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Isn't this on Trustkill?
07:31 PM on 08/22/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
"While teenage girls, including myself, tried to find ways to rekindle their broken hearts..."

07:44 PM on 08/22/07
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
Isn't this on Trustkill?

No, it's on Gut. They're on one label for the UK and one for the US or something. I have no idea how it works haha.

"While teenage girls, including myself, tried to find ways to rekindle their broken hearts..."

07:54 PM on 08/22/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
No, it's on Gut. They're on one label for the UK and one for the US or something. I have no idea how it works haha.

On their myspace, it says this:

UK: Institute Records; US: Trustkill Records

On another note, that cover art is bad fuckin ass.
07:56 PM on 08/22/07
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.

I love that part.
08:03 PM on 08/22/07
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
On their myspace, it says this:

UK: Institute Records; US: Trustkill Records

On another note, that cover art is bad fuckin ass.

I think Gut Records is a branch of Institute (or vice-versa), like Suretone and Geffen. And yeah, the cover art is awesome.
09:54 PM on 08/22/07
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Haha, that's exactly what I was going to say.
05:05 AM on 08/23/07
symbiote28
Be Human
User Info.
i fucking love this record .. i dont know if it's better than grand unification but i'll give it time .. deathcar, amaze us, floods & unfamiliar ceilings are just some of the great songs on the album!

nice review!
09:59 AM on 08/23/07
genericmadness
Registered Loser
User Info.
great review
10:34 AM on 08/23/07
JohnDorian
Linguo Dead?
User Info.
The album title immeadiately made me think 'What, the curtains?'
11:33 AM on 08/23/07
CWeezer2
User Info.
ahh Busted is missed
11:37 AM on 08/23/07
Chico
User Info.
Quote:
Grand Unification is a concept album based off the popular Japanese manga series Neon Genesis Evangelion
Really? Thats interesting, though I wasn't a big fan of Neon Genesis. Great review. Now I have to check both of them out.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums