AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

AP.net Artist Power Rankings (February 3rd)

Posted by: Jason Tate (02/03/12)
It's Friday - and that means it's time to get down. It also means it's time for me to write up this week's power rankings and let my sarcastic side out to play. So, after pouring over the numbers, interjecting a bit of my personal bias, let's see what we've got this week ...

1) All Time Low
NoteHow did these guys sneak in at number one? Well, it turns out that me being kind of an ass, and posting this video, led to an extremely active thread full of views and replies. Interesting. I am taking this under advisement.

2) Hit the Lights
NoteNote to bands: doing a chat with us = lots of interaction. Lots of interactions = up the power ranking charts. The band released their new album, and then came and chatted with us on the website. Very cool. If you haven't checked out the band's new album yet - you should get on that. Also, the chat was definitely informative - worth reading over if you've got some time.

3) Paramore / Reader Anticipated Poll
NoteWe launched our "most anticipated by the reader's poll" on Monday, and Paramore were #1. Check it out if you haven't yet ... it's very interesting to see the bands that the users selected. I was quite surprised actually. More evidence that those that just read the website - compared to those that comment - have different tastes and feelings. Or maybe you all are really closet fans and just pretend to be cool and not like certain things.

4) Saosin
NoteSaosin are working on new material. A thread about a band that released a universally disappointing previous album usually means it's 50% hoping for a return to form, 50% saying the band is dead. Always an interesting read. No idea what we're going to get ... but seems there's a faction that cares.

5) D.R.U.G.S
NoteThey're heading into the studio and apparently people want to hate. That thread is not for the weak of heart. I didn't even know the band was hated that much until I read some comment. Yikes.

6) Set Your Goals, Cartel, Fireworks, Hit The Lights, Mixtapes
NotePop-punk tour of insanity! That's gonna rule.

7) Armor for Sleep
NoteEveryone wanted to wish Ben a congratulations on his engagement. Congrats!

8) Cassadee Pope
NoteLots of videos and interviews. Not sure how I feel about this whole solo stuff ... but it's interesting to watch it unfold I guess. Mainstream here she comes...

9) The Dangerous Summer
NoteNot as high as these guys are used to ... but their cover of The National got a lot of views. No one can sing like Matt Berninger though. No one.

10) Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Cursive, etc.
NoteThe Thursday Discussion was awesome again this week. Thanks to everyone that participated in that.

And there we have it! Great week. It's ridiculously nice out today, so I'm thinking I'm going to go listen to "Tell All Your Friends" outside with the laptop and work from there. Forgot how much I loved this album ... the way Adam's basically out of breath on some of the songs. The imperfections make this album.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 35.
11:56 AM on 02/03/12
t00latef0rr0ses
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
User Info.
Once again... good for Ben:

11:57 AM on 02/03/12
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
We should have some cool stuff to tie in with that SYG/Cartel tour.
12:00 PM on 02/03/12
jjnunn118
The Alternative Review
User Info.
um... theres two number 4's making 11 spots on the list. Intentional?
12:01 PM on 02/03/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
12:02 PM on 02/03/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
um... theres two number 4's making 11 spots on the list. Intentional?
Jason Fail.

Got distracted by a phone meeting ... umm ... fuck. Ok, fixing it... here's 10.5.

10.5) The Word Alive
NoteThey came in higher than most were expecting on our "reader poll" - and then the news of their drummer leaving got picked by a lot of places that must have forgotten what they were quoting. Not my kind of music, but good for the band for all the publicity. Drew tells me they're good - so I defer to him on this genre.
12:02 PM on 02/03/12
FayeQC
you're pretty fetch.
User Info.
Oh dear god how did I miss that All Time Low post. Also the Thursday discussions are the best things ever and shall pretty much always be in the power rankings.
12:08 PM on 02/03/12
ThaRealNC
User Info.
As much response as their was in that Saosin thread, I still can't believe how little feedback there's been to the new songs they put up on iTunes this week. Maybe it just fell under everyone's radar? Or maybe I'm just overly excited at how good they sound.
12:09 PM on 02/03/12
SmallFrailBoy
User Info.
Man... you know who sucks? All Time Low. God damned user community has lost their minds.
12:11 PM on 02/03/12
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
As much response as their was in that Saosin thread, I still can't believe how little feedback there's been to the new songs they put up on iTunes this week. Maybe it just fell under everyone's radar? Or maybe I'm just overly excited at how good they sound.

they put up new songs?
saddr weirdr
We're all alone. grab a hold.
User Info.
I had to click the link on the AP.net twitter to get here. Don't know what's with the Woman in Black shit going on, haha.

this week's Thursday Discussion ruled, can't wait for the next one.
MJSchmidt
Hang 'em high or not at all
User Info.
Oh dear god how did I miss that All Time Low post. Also the Thursday discussions are the best things ever and shall pretty much always be in the power rankings.
I agree about the Thursday discussions being awesome, man! But, being a 20 something it should be expected almost. I am not sure how some newer users feel about them, though. I would say they make for a great learning experience if you are young and looking to learn about what influenced the music that is coming out now. I know that's how I would look at it if I was in their place.
12:12 PM on 02/03/12
Ryan Dennehy
it's just me & u
User Info.
Jason Fail.

Got distracted by a phone meeting ... umm ... fuck. Ok, fixing it... here's 10.5.

10.5) The Word Alive
NoteThey came in higher than most were expecting on our "reader poll" - and then the news of their drummer leaving got picked by a lot of places that must have forgotten what they were quoting. Not my kind of music, but good for the band for all the publicity. Drew tells me they're good - so I defer to him on this genre.

Jason, I've got some weird ad for the woman in black that's preventing me from using like tne first third of the page, so I'm using my phone to tell you about this in hopes you can magick it away.
12:13 PM on 02/03/12
ThaRealNC
User Info.
Yep. They put up In Search of Solid Ground on iTunes this week (which had been absent) and if you look, there's three brand new instrumental tracks added. They sound fantastic - more like a cross between TTN and the self-titled.
12:17 PM on 02/03/12
FayeQC
you're pretty fetch.
User Info.
I agree about the Thursday discussions being awesome, man! But, being a 20 something it should be expected almost. I am not sure how some newer users feel about them, though. I would say they make for a great learning experience if you are young and looking to learn about what influenced the music that is coming out now. I know that's how I would look at it if I was in their place.
Haha I'm only 20 but I do still reminisce, heard TAYF when I was in high school and it was just amazing, pretty sure almost every lyric was scribbled onto my notebooks
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS